Evap Diagram

Old 04-19-2011, 05:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Evap Diagram

Hello everyone. I have just purchased my 98 F150 recently and had to redo the fuel pump. Underneath I was getting the P0453 code on my scanner as I noticed my fuel pressure sensor was snapped off. I went ahead and had the mechanic run new evap lines underneath aswell due to the rust / break in the old lines. My problem here is that the hoses do not seem to be connected to the correct places from what my mechanic told me.

Gas tank has 2 vents which where connected to each other with a T going to the charcoal canister. From there I seen the evap hose from the firewall running along back to the same hose ( with another T ) connecting into the inlet of the charcoal canister with the fuel tank vents ( same hose ). Than the outlet hose which runs to another container within a crossbeam.

I hope someone can make sense of my explaination and perhaps be able to provide actual photos of how the hoses are supposed to be connected on a 1998 ford f150 with 4.6 v8 windsor. Thank you.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:37 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
1998 EVAP ~

Old 04-19-2011, 11:48 PM
Thank you jbrew,

From what I can see, the two vent lines from the gas tank ( # 4, 6 ) are just connected to each other without any T connection or lines running to the charcoal canister?

Old 04-20-2011, 05:12 PM

Yea,they really don't show how it's connected per diagram. I'll try to explain a little real quick.

These two lines Merge just before canister. The Diagram doesn't show the Merge -

They do tho, here's an old pic of my 98 -

The Atmosphere container is hidden on top of the fuel tank and pictured here to the far far right. That's just an empty box, nothing in it. The hose just drops into it. It's not even a tight seal, just falls into it loosely.

Far Far Right -

__________________________________________________ ___

That's it. Hope that helps somewhat lol.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:52 PM

Hang on , something isn't right . I'm thinking I modified that set up, - back in 04/05. I'll go take a look at it in a few + my logs are on the shop computer anyway. I was heading there anyway. Check back in a few hours,- if you haven't got it squared away yet.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:03 AM
Thank you, I will be here for the night and morning..

From looking at your pictures, it does seem a little different to me aswell. Mine seems to have both gas tank fuel tank vapor vent and fuel tank vent valve connected to each other and there is a "T" in the line which takes it to the Canister. On that same line going to the Canister, the line from the Evaporative Emission Return runs along the driver side frame and "T" into that line before the Canister! Of course from the Canister I have the usual line going to the empty box.

I would take a photo but it just snowed again today for ____ sakes!

Old 04-21-2011, 03:53 AM

No Problem. My Canister went bad back in 2004. Ford informed me the part was discontinued w/no current replacement. I'm not sure if they have one now, if they do, - I don't want it. I never have smelled anything anyway. What I did is by passed the canister by simply disconnecting this line and it's inline filter -

Yea, at first I disconnected right there at that location(arrow). There's a little orange inline filter cap I popped off. After that, - the CEL disappeared , - no more EVAP DTC. Never had a problem since, - I later removed the rest of that hose (just that one).

Old 04-21-2011, 04:03 AM

Yea that was the vent valve #9 in the diagram.

My Solenoid is still connected and so is the hose , opposite of the one toward the rear.

Here's the solenoid and hose I'm referring to -

So yea, I not sure this helps you any lol. - Did you by chance replace that canister above the rear axle ? That was the discontinued canister I'm referring to. Well, discontinued/ without a new revision or replacement. Back when I needed one anyway.

Old 04-21-2011, 04:04 AM
I know that my canister still works as I am only getting the P0453 code as whoever changed the fuel tank last, broke the pressure sensor off.

I suppose there isn't a cheaply priced pressure sensor anywhere for me? I just hope my evap lines are correct and that the CEL goes out after replacement of that part. Unless there is another sort of "backdoor" to that one code!

Old 04-21-2011, 04:06 AM
I didn't need to replace the canister as far as I know.. I wouldn't even know when or why I would need to do so lol. I am just hoping that once I get my sensor, that the code resolves itself and nothing else comes up

Old 04-21-2011, 04:10 AM
Do you perhaps have a few photos of the evap lines showing how they are running on an unmodified 97 - 03 F150 ? It might help and once I get a chance to take some pictures of my current delema, I will share them too.

The following users liked this post:
Old 04-21-2011, 04:12 AM

Another angle -

Old 04-21-2011, 04:23 AM
Yeah, see the "T" at the top of the image.. what are those lines coming from.. I am looking for those and the rest to follow through !

Old 04-21-2011, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Rusty97
Do you perhaps have a few photos of the evap lines showing how they are running on an unmodified 97 - 03 F150 ? It might help and once I get a chance to take some pictures of my current delema, I will share them too.
What a mess this thread is, easy to get confused lol. I'll clear a little up, - or try....

Rusty, an easy to put what I did is this. I removed this line here -

That line fed to the "Out to Atmosphere" box (empty box) @ the far right of diagram (not labeled), here -

That's just a single line, by itself, no taps intersections or t's. In other words, it's isolated.

So it's really not a mod, more so a removal. As described earlier, there's a filter @ the red arrow in the first diagram. It's like a very fine screen, an "odor" screen, (guessing) that plugged up (in my case).

Now that that's cleared up a little, I did go back to the Ford Service/Workshop/DVD (Oasis) to confirm a change (if any) with the EVAP system for 97 - 03 model years. I don't have the 2003 info, but I do have up to 2002. Yea, Ford Service has the EXACT same diagrams up to 2002. The Diagram is like the first and not entirely accurate, -just as the first.
Yea, these diagrams DO NOT show the t's and intersections. My pictures do and they are correct (factory original set up).

Mann I hope that helps clear my end up.

Yea , your turn for pics!!

Good Luck with it and update the thread when you get the chance.

Old 04-21-2011, 06:51 PM
I just seen this post and wanted to comment that in my Evap, I have no problems or reason to touch the filter or disconnect that single tube. I will grap a picture of whatever it is that I can so I can show you what it is I am stuck on lol.

Thanks again!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Evap Diagram