1997 - 2003 F-150

5.4 rattling question

Old 03-26-2011, 12:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.4 rattling, ever heard this?

I have a 99 f150 5.4, and have done a ton of searching but nothing seems to come back to the same thing i have. Its a rattling on the front top passenger side of engine, Ive heard alot of the cam phazer videos, and read alot of the discussions, but mine does not sound the same. It ONLY makes the sound under load or in the upper rpms. It sounds like shaking a spray paint can rattling, VERY ERATIC, no pattern to it. No rattle at idle, only under load or upper rpms. Any input greatly appreciated. finally got a sound clip up, scroll down.

Last edited by wannaride2; 03-28-2011 at 06:52 PM. Reason: update
Old 03-26-2011, 12:40 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Pull the cam cover ant have a look at the valve train. You may have a collapsed lifter allowing the follower to rattle. It may end up falling off. Are you sure it is not coming from the front cover?

Old 03-26-2011, 03:05 PM
glc
Received 755 Likes on 701 Posts
Make sure the spark plugs aren't loose.

Old 03-26-2011, 04:59 PM
The spark plugs are good. It sounds like it is coming from where the cam is located on the passenger side under the cover at the very front. Like i said the rattling has no rythm, its eratic. It has kind of a spark knock sound(It isnt spark knock though) but way louder and more intense like something flapping, or like a little steel ball rambling around in there. But only under load or upper rpms.

Old 03-26-2011, 05:03 PM
It still seems to run fine, not really sure how much power im missing out on, since it has been doing it for a while and the truck has roughly 160,000 plus miles.

Old 03-27-2011, 12:45 AM
You don't have cam phasers. How have you ruled out spark knock? Can you get a video of it? Something flapping sounds like an exhaust leak at the manifold. The air gets between the gasket and can randomly make noise depending on rpm. I have owned 2 99 5.4's and both had exhaust leaks on the passenger side.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My buddy's 99 5.4 did the same thing, turned out to be a rod bearing had spun. The noise you say you hear is almost exactly how his was, after around 2500 RPM is when I could hear a very heavy rattle noise. He continued to drive that truck for another 30k miles after first hearing that noise until one day the engine just locked up and burnt up the starter. I hope this isn't what is going on with yours, but from what you described, it sounds exactly the same. Can you post a video so we can hear it?

Old 03-27-2011, 10:25 AM
Ya, i definitely have an exhaust manifold leak on the passenger side. That just started about a couple months ago. But this is a separate problem. Im working on getting a sound clip up. when i put a mechanics stethascope on the cam cover at the front of the engine, i can definitley tell its coming from inside there. maybe a bad tensioner letting it slop around in there? Never had to really do anything major to this motor so im not really familiar with its mechanics. Hence the reason im on here asking for info. As far as spark knock ruling out, only thing ive done is run higher octane fuel for a period of time, and also took it to ford to let them listen, and they said it wasnt spark knock but never said what it was since they didnt actually have it inside, (getting paid) to look at it. Im tellin you its right at the very front, under that cover. thanks folks for the responses....

Old 03-27-2011, 10:28 AM
mikeyss, was his noise from the very front? I actually plan on dropping a new motor in this truck, but kinda wanted to do it on my own terms. lol. gonna go out here in a few and see if i can get a vid to post, thanks..

Old 03-27-2011, 11:10 AM

Of course this is the most rythmic it has ever been , under load it is very eratic

Last edited by wannaride2; 03-28-2011 at 06:52 PM.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:49 AM
Man, I have not heard that before. Only thing that reminds me of in sound is an exhaust leak because of the flapping noise. But then again, it's different. Ive heard timing chain tensioners go bad, had one of mine go out. So I got to hear the chain slap around at 2500 and up. But could barely hear it at idle. Still didnt sound like that.

In your vid, just before you reved it up, I could hear what sounded like a bad bearing.. faintly while it was ideling. I would do as JMC suggested and get the cam/valve cover off and see what it is doing. You can also check for slack in the timing chain (while not running of coarse)

Old 03-27-2011, 11:57 AM
Ya thats how its been for me with all my searching, i havent heard anything like it. the vid really doesnt do it justice in pinpointing where the sound is coming from, but in person you can tell its coming from the very front. Doesnt sound like its under the valve cover or anything. It all started when i got broad sided by a full size pick up, he hit me at 55 plus right in the front driver side (he blew a redlight) totalled his truck, but after getting it back its been sounding like this. The repair shop claims it has nothing to do with the accident, but it didnt do it before. I should have pursued it more, but i didnt (stupidly) now its way to late.

Old 03-27-2011, 12:08 PM
Being that loud in the front, eliminate a drive pulley by removing the belt and running it, checking if it is still there. Worth a shot..

You got hit in the front drivers side at 55 and it didn't total it?

I would think it would jar the exhaust loose.

Old 03-27-2011, 12:18 PM
ya, done pulled the belt, no difference. Yup 55, i was, and so was the wrecking crew, amazed at how well the truck took the hit. When they looked at my truck, and then the chevy, they asked where the 3rd vehicle was. Ill try to get pics up of both trucks. It was a few years back, truck had more book value then. he hit me right in the front driver side wheel.

Last edited by wannaride2; 03-27-2011 at 12:24 PM.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:48 PM
bump for one more round, since i have a sound clip now. thanks....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 5.4 rattling question