Looking for help diagnosing a power window problem

Old 03-20-2011, 10:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for help diagnosing a power window problem

My passenger side power window (98 F150 XLT) doesn't work from either switch (passenger and driver door control)... I'm not sure what to check first. I don't hear any clicking when the control is pressed on either side. I don't know if it's related but the door marker light doesn't work either.

Old 03-21-2011, 07:55 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Remove the inner door cover and identify the two wire connector for the regulator motor.

Using a digital volt meter connected to the two wires, look for battery voltage of opposite polarity when any switch is in the UP or the DOWN position.

If the proper voltage is read, replace the regulator (motor).

Old 03-21-2011, 08:29 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Here is a thread with the power window motor out of the truck, so you can see what the pigtail looks like.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/el...dow-motor.html

I only recall 1 thread where this happened on the passenger side, it is usually a driver's side issue with the motor being thumped against the tire and it starts working again.

If the passenger side motor pigtail ( towards the switch ) does not have power, the last thread I can recall, this was a broken wire in the rubber channel from the driver's side door to the a-pillar. Some quick testing would confirm what you are seeing ( power & no window operation or no power ).

Old 03-25-2011, 02:24 PM
I checked the voltage at the master switch on the driver's side and the driver side switch has 12v but there is no power to the passenger side switch. I think, from looking at the diagram, the power flows through the driver's side to the passenger side switch... maybe a broken wire?

Old 03-25-2011, 03:21 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Your driver's side doesn't have a passenger window lockout, by any chance?

- Jack

Old 03-25-2011, 05:59 PM
Nope, no lock-out

Old 03-25-2011, 07:08 PM

No power to the passenger side switch, this is on the Light Blue w/ black stripe wire ? What did you use as ground to test this ?

There are 2 ways the passenger side power window would work. 1 is the white w/ yellow stripe & Tan w/ light blue stripe wires ( which in the at rest position are both ground ) and the other is the ground from one of the driver's side on those 2 wires & the Light Blue w/ black stripe wire.

Just wanted to see where you were checking for power at.

Old 03-26-2011, 06:06 PM
I checked for power at the pigtail to the passenger side motor... nothing. I check the power as described above at both switches... nothing. I checked for power on the passenger side switch nothing. I'm assuming a broken wire somewhere at this point...

Old 03-26-2011, 07:59 PM

Checked for power where ?

( Light Blue w/ black stripe wire ? )

The other 2 color codes are ground at rest, so unless you were using an action on the driver's side door, there should be no power.

What are you using for a ground when checking for power ?

Old 04-07-2011, 11:09 AM
Ok, I finally got a day off to look at this again. I connected a meter to the connector on the passenger side door. When I press the up button on the PSDoor I get good voltage, but nothing when I press the down... broken wire?

Old 04-07-2011, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Norandy
Ok, I finally got a day off to look at this again. I connected a meter to the connector on the passenger side door. When I press the up button on the PSDoor I get good voltage, but nothing when I press the down... broken wire?
Checked for power where ?

Old 04-07-2011, 12:10 PM
Update: I used the connector on the passenger side door to check for voltage when the switch was pressed and I am now getting voltage with both up and down after I fixed a broken wire just below the male end of the connector to the motor...and I can hear the motor (or possibly the actuator) clicking in the door and the lights dim slightly... I'm thinking its the motor. I check the thread on removing the motor, but I think mine is a bit different because the motor is not up by the mirror, but rather near the middle of the door.

Old 04-07-2011, 02:21 PM
SScully... I want to thank you for your attention here! I replaced the motor (took about 45 minutes thanks to your previous posts) and everything seems to be good now!

Old 04-07-2011, 09:36 PM
Well I thought I had it fixed... the passenger side window was working and then it quit. If I tap on the motor while pressing the down button, the window starts working and does fine for a while but then it dies again. I can see the dome light dim slightly and hear the motor click, but no movement.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Norandy
Well I thought I had it fixed... the passenger side window was working and then it quit. If I tap on the motor while pressing the down button, the window starts working and does fine for a while but then it dies again. I can see the dome light dim slightly and hear the motor click, but no movement.
You replaced the motor with a new one ?

Did you check the pigtail jumper connector again, to make sure it is not damaged ?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looking for help diagnosing a power window problem