2004 - 2008 F-150

2006 5.4 Plug not broken but won't come out

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 02:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 5.4 Plug not broken but won't come out

I have a 2006 with a 5.4. 65k and I was getting a error code on cyl #8. I pulled the coil and tried to replace the plug. The plug didn't seem to crack or break however I can't get it out. It seems to spin and spin with ease. The plug didn't I don't think I need the tool, correct?

Old 03-22-2011, 03:02 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
You might need the tool once you get it out.....
Have you tried a long thin nose needle nose pliers? Try one and gently pull up

Old 03-22-2011, 05:38 PM
Yeah. What he said ^^. I had the same thing happen, when I was changing mine.

It is broken. You need to get some long needle nose, grab as much of the plug as you can and twist and pull it out. Then you get the opportunity to use the special tool

Old 03-22-2011, 09:07 PM
If It is broken, you should hear the porcelain grinding against the bottom half as you turn it or the electrode rubbing the porcelain. If not, the jamb nut may have broke loose. This just happened to me over the weekend. I was turning and turning and nothing... I looked in the spark plug hole and the jamb nut was near the top of the plug!! It was working it's way up. The porcelain was still in tact. I couldn't do a thing with needle nose pliers; it was as solid as it was before the jamb nut broke. I tried pulling, etc. The fact that it wasn't broken from the bottom half meant that there was no way I was pulling it out with needle nose pliers.

The only thing that I could do to break it out was to stick a large flat tip screwdriver along side of the plug and basically pry on it to snap it. Use a shop rag so that you dont mar up the lip of the port (under the leverage point of the screwdriver).
With little effort it "popped" and gave me a nice clean break flush with the shield (part stuck in the head). Use the lisle tool and you'll be in good shape. Just vacuum it out first.

I'm sure there are probably better ways to do it, but this is what worked for ME.

Last edited by tatersalad05; 03-22-2011 at 09:14 PM.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:10 PM
I helped a friend change his last week and 2 of them did the same thing. It's broken, but I think the center electrode wire gets stuck in the bottom half of the plug (which is stuck in the head). We used a pair of needle nose vice grips, locked onto the part of the plug where the coil pack connects and wiggled, twisted, etc. until the plug came out. On both of them though, still had to use the tool to get the bottoms out. For what it's worth, I changed my plugs at 40,000 miles and none of them broke. We changed his at 74,000 miles, and 7 of them broke. It can definitely be a major pain...
EDIT**Just saw what tatersalad posted as I was replying,and hadn't thought of that type of breakage. You might make sure that the entire plug body is turning, as that's the first time I've heard of the jamb nut breaking. I learn something new every day.

Last edited by MHarvey; 03-22-2011 at 09:14 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:54 AM
Thanks guys you were right it was broken. Very strange. It was the number 8 cyl so i couldn't get a look in there but I was able to pull it with a pair of needle nose. Luckily I was able to track down someone that had the "special" tool. So damn handy I ordered my own just to have.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:04 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by jeremyc50
Thanks guys you were right it was broken. Very strange. It was the number 8 cyl so i couldn't get a look in there but I was able to pull it with a pair of needle nose. Luckily I was able to track down someone that had the "special" tool. So damn handy I ordered my own just to have.

Good job! Glad you got it resolved.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:18 PM

NICE! A telescopic mirror also comes in handy for those cylinders near the firewall! I picked one up at Sears for $10. Hopefully you have better luck than I do. 7 out of the 8 broke on me.

Speaking of the Lisle tool, has anyone worn one out?? The threads on the 'pusher' housing are starting to flatten out on the first few threads after only 2 uses. This worried me, so I ended up ordering a 2nd Lisle tool..
Might have been an overreaction, but I really dont want to risk stripping the threads. Have you guys had a similar 'problem' but kept using the tool?? I'm really curious.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:09 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

glad to be of help!

Quick Reply: 2006 5.4 Plug not broken but won't come out