2009 - 2014 F-150

09 XLT 4x4 Actuator Problem

Old 03-16-2011, 10:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09 XLT 4x4 Actuator Problem

Hey Guys,

For about the last year I have been having some major issues with the 4x4 hub actuators in my 09 XLT 4.6 w/ 11,500 miles. I have had it to the dealer four times already for this same issue and it is creeping up again.

Initially the problem (while in 4x2) was a very loud almost grinding noise in the front of the truck under light acceleration going up hill. That then change to include light acceleration on almost any surface after i had maintained speed for a while (i.e. highway cruising then stepping on the gas a little).

Every time I've brought this in I'm told it is a problem with the hub actuators and/or vacuum system controlling the actuators. Within these four visits I have had the actuators replaced several times (including the last one in which I am told is a redesigned actuator as Ford is now aware of this problem), all the vacuum system related to the 4x4, as well as the solenoid controlling the actuators. The only way to get the noise to stop is by mashing on the gas or throwing it into 4x4 and then back to 4x2

The problem has now resurfaced after roughly 6 months. The noise is the same but I get the problem again after the truck sits at idle for a while (drive up ATM, running while in a parking spot waiting for someone to come out of the store etc)

I'm just curious if anyone has been running into this issue. I would assume so if Ford redesigned the actuators, but I figured I would have seen something about it on here by now. I did a search but it didn’t turn up anything related to this issue.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:33 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The 4x4 system on your truck is pretty much identical to the system used since 2004. If you search in the 2004-2008 forum, you'll find tons of stuff if you search on "IWE." (That's the actual mechanism that locks and unlocks at the front wheels.) Having had several issues with my 2005 (but not my 2010), it sounds to me like you have a vacuum leak issue someplace in the system. There's a post on "IWE's - Repairing and Replacing" by TNF150 that should answer most of your questions.

Old 03-16-2011, 12:35 PM
nj, i too have had the same issue in my 2010. the place i had my leveling kit installed at a local shop and they messed it up somehow. ford told me they had seen 10 or so break in the last few years but mine was the worst by far. i asked if its a part that breaks alot or if its something that just a faulty install of something else could cause, they said they dont just break. but it sounded like a set of 35s roaring down the road and it only would make the noise if you were going over 30mph. i had it replaced for 298.10 including the labor since its out of the warranty now. if they replace the part it should fix your problem.

Old 03-16-2011, 03:13 PM
Jake605ktm.. multiple replacements, multiple failures.. problem persists. At least I am still under warranty for all this.

2stroked - Thanks for the lead. That seems to be the thread I need!

Old 03-16-2011, 03:22 PM
That may be the problem I have had a few times. Exactly the same driving conditions. I thought the sound was from the tranny. I took it to the dealer last week and it didn't do it for them. Any TSB out for that yet?

Old 03-16-2011, 06:36 PM
I am not aware of the TSB, but the techs seem to be aware of this issue.

Old 01-25-2014, 11:06 AM
transmission sound.

I think I have same problem. scared just past warranty.

Old 07-12-2018, 11:02 PM
TEC
I have a 2009 and the first week I had it, the driver's side actuator acted up, sounded like I was dragging a piece of metal around. The used dealer replaced the actuator but did not fix the problem, I now been having the same problem, the sound is not as bad, but would like to get it fixed without going to a dealer and have to get it fixed in another year. All the videos I have been watching, the actuator unit is mounted on the firewall, mine is not. So what can I do?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 09 XLT 4x4 Actuator Problem