Rear Universal Joint differential yoke

Old 02-13-2011, 09:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Universal Joint differential yoke

I've got a 2001 F150, 2 wheel drive. Pulled the driveshaft to replace the universal joints. The rear "yoke" that bolts to the differential is cracked all the way through on one of the rings that holds the cup that has the needle bearings in it. What is the actual name of this piece and how do I get another one without having to buy an entire driveshaft? Of course, no one is open on the weekend here in Milwaukee so I guess I'll be doing this tomorrow after taking a day off since I cant get to work.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:25 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Probably the best option is to buy a drive shaft from a salvage yard. There are shops that balance drive shafts that may be able to help.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:40 AM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
How did it get cracked I wonder? Those things are pretty tough.

For a repair, if it were me, if I couldn't get a replacement one easy ...
... I might would remove the yoke half from the drive shaft, then grind a V out partially on the outside of the crack but not all the way through to the inner machined portion, and preheat the piece to about 650 and then weld in the V with some nickel rod.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:34 PM
Originally Posted by James4570
The rear "yoke" that bolts to the differential is cracked all the way through on one of the rings that holds the cup that has the needle bearings in it. What is the actual name of this piece and how do I get another one without having to buy an entire driveshaft? Of course, no one is open on the weekend here in Milwaukee so I guess I'll be doing this tomorrow after taking a day off since I cant get to work.
Look at the crack, see rust? If so, it's been that way awhile. I'm guessiing that the crack is in the thinner part of the ring that surrounds the cup.

You might look at junk yards, or you might take it to a welder? Put an old cup in it to make sure it doesn't shrink too much, ask welder to NOT WELD ALL THE WAY THROUGH, but to build up some on outside if needed.

Afterwards, press old cup out and install new U Joint. I'ld help, but I'm a long way away.

It's a "flange yoke" .... at least that's what I'ld call it.

http://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/p413...rear_ends.html

Last edited by tbear853; 02-16-2011 at 08:53 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:23 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
That's spam and has been reported.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:51 PM
Exclamation

I wondered about that .... but then I thought maybe it was same guy on another computor like a friend's?

I just now noticed a link .... "data entry"?

Old 02-21-2011, 04:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks to tbear853. The photo is exactly what is cracked and it is rusted so must have been that way for some time. Ironically enough, Griffin Ford in Waukesha helped me out with a brand new one they had back in the parts bins. $38 and I'm back on the road. Thanks for all the advice.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear Universal Joint differential yoke