Help me make my F150 sound mean

Old 02-04-2011, 10:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me make my F150 sound mean

So I recently bought a 2006 F150 supercab stx 4.6L. I love it but now i want to make it sound pretty mean. I have no experiance with exhaust in any way and im sure some of you guys have already done tons of research on this same area. I dont have much money (about $500) but i want to convert it to dual exhaust. im sure there are hundreds of ways out ther to do it so i wanna know what the cheapest way to do it is while still getting good quality parts that will actually sound good. any advice? thanks guys

Old 02-04-2011, 10:44 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Read the sticky up top. Pretty much everything you need to know is in there. $500 is plenty for a good quality exhaust that will turn heads.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:46 PM
Originally Posted by 4.6 Punisher
Read the sticky up top. Pretty much everything you need to know is in there. $500 is plenty for a good quality exhaust that will turn heads.
THanks, sorry im new to this forum.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:54 PM
No problem. We're here to help.

Old 02-04-2011, 11:13 PM
No problem. We're here to help.
Alright so i read it all and now that i feel a lot more confident on my all-around knowlege on exhaust I am curious about what brands would sound better on my particular rig. i have siso currently and i wanted to convert it to sido . since my truck is a 06 i guess its got 2 cats, should i replace them w/2 Hi-flow cats? and is there any reason to change my muffler? if so what would the cost range from? I like the 45 degree exit look and i suppose it would be best for sound and agression? i guess to wrap this all up were talkin 1.maybe new muffler 2.2 Hi-flow cats 3. sido exhaust w/45 degree exit. 4. stainless steel tips. ? sorry, i just dont wat to get screwed sideways by some highschool shop mechanic.

Old 02-04-2011, 11:26 PM
I dont need it to be ear ripping. I like the low grumbling type sound. i want it to sound mean i just watched ur video on youtube. i like it !

Old 02-04-2011, 11:35 PM
Most cat-back exhausts are SIDO, but only a few of them have a 45 degree exit. So you're probably going to have to get it built by a shop. What you can do to save money is buy the muffler and tips of your liking, then shop around at several shops to find the best deal, but be sure that they at least use smooth bent pipes. No self respecting exhaust enthusiast has crimp bent pipes.

08FX4 has several videos of his exhaust, which includes hi-flow cats, a single Magnapack, a Y-pipe to to make the dual exits, and 4" x 18" tips that are 45'd. That sounds like it would be suitable for you. I suggest you just do the muffler swap and add the tips, but leave the cats alone for a while. It might be perfect for you with the stock cats.

Old 02-04-2011, 11:44 PM
Most cat-back exhausts are SIDO, but only a few of them have a 45 degree exit. So you're probably going to have to get it built by a shop. What you can do to save money is buy the muffler and tips of your liking, then shop around at several shops to find the best deal, but be sure that they at least use smooth bent pipes. No self respecting exhaust enthusiast has crimp bent pipes.

08FX4 has several videos of his exhaust, which includes hi-flow cats, a single Magnapack, a Y-pipe to to make the dual exits, and 4" x 18" tips that are 45'd. That sounds like it would be suitable for you. I suggest you just do the muffler swap and add the tips, but leave the cats alone for a while. It might be perfect for you with the stock cats.
awesome info. what is "cat-back"? i understand cat-catalytic converter...
so i guess now im looking at buying a muffler, 2 tips, and then go to a shop that uses smooth bent pipes and tell them i want them to install the muffler and tips and tell them i want a Y-pipe dual exit at 45'd? and also you said to look for a muffler and tips of my liking...i shudnt have any problem picking out pretty tips but how do i know what is a good muffler for my truck? when people just say their truck has a "magnapack" or whaterver idk what that is lol. is it a muffler? haha sorry im such a noob. im going to look at 08fx4's stuff right now.

Old 02-04-2011, 11:48 PM
This is a Magnapack. It's just a short round body muffler that has a very aggressive and sporty tone to it.

http://www.performancepeddler.com/de...CT_ID=MAG10416

And try to buy the Y-pipe too.

Old 02-04-2011, 11:53 PM
This is a Magnapack. It's just a short round body muffler that has a very aggressive and sporty tone to it.

http://www.performancepeddler.com/de...CT_ID=MAG10416

And try to buy the Y-pipe too.
ahhhh i see! so would that particular magnapack be worth a shot on my truck? or is that just a random one that u used to show me what they were? and do i have to be percise in buying a Y-pipe? or are they all pretty much the same? i dont wanna buy different size pipes and look like a fool lol.

again, i apologize if my questions seem redundant, i just want to make sure i completely understand what you are saying.

Last edited by hardrock3742; 02-04-2011 at 11:56 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think you need to spend some time on the ole YouTube and listen to some different sounds to see what strikes your interest. Also, many of us have videos in our sig to aid in that as well.

Best of luck to ya!

Old 02-05-2011, 02:13 AM
Originally Posted by avfrog
I think you need to spend some time on the ole YouTube and listen to some different sounds to see what strikes your interest. Also, many of us have videos in our sig to aid in that as well.

Best of luck to ya!
Hey thanks for the advice. so i did some looking on youtube... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1zGU...eature=related
I understand that this is a straight-pipe and its a 5.4l but this is really the sound i like the most. and the 45'd exit and tips are exactly the look i want. How could i make my truck sound similar to this while still doing a sido?

and i like the sound of this one as well http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQRRC...eature=related

I also like the sound of your truck. I love the deep sound it has, and how its not ear-ripping like a motorcycle. i cant stand that sound...

Last edited by hardrock3742; 02-05-2011 at 02:23 AM.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:34 AM
That first video is a dual diesel exhaust system on a gas motor f150...not a good idea. too big of pipe, you will loose torque.

The second is a raptor truck which has a little more under the hood than your f150. It will sound different than yours with all things else equal (muffler, pipe size wise).

Try searching out videos with types of mufflers you are intersted in along with the size of motor you have, such as "5.4 f150 bullets" or "4.6 f150 magnapacks" "5.4 f150 borla" etc etc..(I'm not sure which motor you have).

I don't think you need to touch your cats or exhaust manifolds to get a beefy sound on your truck. You might like a SIDO setup, 45'd behind the rear tire with big tips...or if you want something better, true dual's to a pair of your favorite mufflers, to exiting 45'd behind the rear tires with some 3.5" or 4" diameter tips. Just remember that if you're not loud enough after you get your exhaust set-up done, you can always swap out your cats for hi-flows later to get more sound out of your system. I would wait on hi-flows.

Old 02-05-2011, 08:37 AM
Originally Posted by hardrock3742
ahhhh i see! so would that particular magnapack be worth a shot on my truck? or is that just a random one that u used to show me what they were? and do i have to be percise in buying a Y-pipe? or are they all pretty much the same? i dont wanna buy different size pipes and look like a fool lol.

again, i apologize if my questions seem redundant, i just want to make sure i completely understand what you are saying.
That's the actual magnapack muffler.

Here's a link to the Y-pipe.
http://www.performancepeddler.com/de...CT_ID=MAG10768

Old 02-05-2011, 09:57 AM
Originally Posted by Drizzle
That first video is a dual diesel exhaust system on a gas motor f150...not a good idea. too big of pipe, you will loose torque.

The second is a raptor truck which has a little more under the hood than your f150. It will sound different than yours with all things else equal (muffler, pipe size wise).

Try searching out videos with types of mufflers you are intersted in along with the size of motor you have, such as "5.4 f150 bullets" or "4.6 f150 magnapacks" "5.4 f150 borla" etc etc..(I'm not sure which motor you have).

I don't think you need to touch your cats or exhaust manifolds to get a beefy sound on your truck. You might like a SIDO setup, 45'd behind the rear tire with big tips...or if you want something better, true dual's to a pair of your favorite mufflers, to exiting 45'd behind the rear tires with some 3.5" or 4" diameter tips. Just remember that if you're not loud enough after you get your exhaust set-up done, you can always swap out your cats for hi-flows later to get more sound out of your system. I would wait on hi-flows.
I have the 4.6L.
I think i want to try the SIDO, 45'd behind rear tire, magnapack muffler, Y-pipe, and big tips(i like the 45'd big tip look) does this sound like a reasonable setup?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help me make my F150 sound mean