Whipple Belt

Old 02-04-2011, 12:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whipple Belt

Is the only place to find this belt really from whipple with the 8 psi pulley? I did a search on here but didn't find much info. Looking to find one locally as I have to make a pretty good drive tomorrow.

Anyone have problems with their stock tensioner bending? I just lost the first rib off my belt.

Old 02-04-2011, 06:28 PM
The only thing I can come up with is the belt is 124.7 in. 6 rib. The numbers on the Dayco belt on mine are 1247K6 and 20-9770. These numbers don't come up on Dayco's website. The only thing listed in 124.7 in. length is 7 rib. I recall on this site where someone used a Goodyear Gatorback P/N 4071247, 7 rib belt and used a razor to slice off the 7th rib and said it seemed to work better. It almost seems as Whipple has a lock on the 124.7 6 rib belts. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Tim

Old 02-04-2011, 07:34 PM
Well here is the down low.

First off the part number for the gates belt is k061247. This is not a part random shops can order or stock, if your local shop has it consider them lucky. I asked the guy at the Napa & Kragen's stocking warehouse about current stock and they couldn't put through an order but listed the item and they don't stock it. They can't special order it either.

After talking to Whipple it is proprietary belt and only Gates will sell it to them. I have a feeling a few other big performance shops will have it if they do a big whipple install business.

With that said I called a few websites that did list this product on their site, mostly shops in Detroit (go figure) and they all said they need to remove that off their site because they don't have it and can't special order it.

I did find a company called racemart who has the belts for 25 bucks each vs whipples 89 bucks. They said they have them in stock so I picked up a few. I'll report back once I get them, a few reviews on the web were a little bit shaky at best.

Link here link to web store

Reason why my belt failed or ripped one rib.

I found out after a conversation on the phone with Michael at whipple that due to fords tolerances on building motors some setups require a spacer behind the blower pulley, around 3mm. Not seeing a mention of this in my instructions or maybe I stopped reading them, I was like a deer blind in the headlights. Truck ran fine for a week till the belt tor off a rib.

After also chatting with Whipple and JDM about my Valvebody in my truck, I've decided to upgrade to the Roush tensionor that FatherFord posted not to long ago. I have a feeling the truck shifts so hard that it could possibly be bending the funny stock tensioner from the shock of the shift, similar to a manual trans car with a puck style clutch.

Another key post I picked up from mustang forum is a reply from Dustin at whipple.

"What they need to do is open the tensioner to max position with a breaker bar. With a sharpie, draw a line across the rotating arm and the base. This shows the max position open.

Then install the belt, put at max open on tensioner. Start motor, let idle a few minutes, then rack the throttle 4-5 times. You can also watch the belt during this time, to see if its tracking properly, if something else is bent, then it won’t track true.

Now that the belt is hot, it will stretch .5-1”. They should be able to see the tensioner has now moved in its position, so they’ll need to slide the idler down more, and get the tensioner back to the max position. After running 50-100 miles, they should check again to verify it has not moved, if it has, then it needs to be re-adjusted."

I hope this helps anyone else in this position. Btw I'm loving this whipple setup minus this little hiccup!

Last edited by sbchris; 02-04-2011 at 09:36 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sbchris
Well here is the down low.

First off the part number for the gates belt is k061247. This is not a part random shops can order or stock, if your local shop has it consider them lucky. I asked the guy at the Napa & Kragen's stocking warehouse about current stock and they couldn't put through an order but listed the item and they don't stock it. They can't special order it either.

Link here link to web store
Bingo! I spent a half a day calling Napa, Carquest, Auto Zone, Checker etc and no one could come up with a belt. I ordered that one from that exact site and got it in a few days. Price was real good too. Mine was cracking from the Arizona heat.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Funny my local Napa had one in stock. The Gates belt rocks. No issues yet.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:37 PM
[QUOTE=sbchris;4485706]Well here is the down low.

Reason why my belt failed or ripped one rib.

I found out after a conversation on the phone with Michael at whipple that due to fords tolerances on building motors some setups require a spacer behind the blower pulley, around 3mm. Not seeing a mention of this in my instructions or maybe I stopped reading them, I was like a deer blind in the headlights. Truck ran fine for a week till the belt tor off a rib.

When I installed mine that little bit of info was on a separate sheet than the instructions. I didn't need the shim on mine so if you want it and the bolts just let me know and I will mail them to you. Mine isn't perfectly aligned but the spacer would make it worse so I left it out.

Tim

Old 02-07-2011, 01:02 AM
Tim,

Thanks for the offer but my setup had the spacer already installed and that is why the belt ripped. I took the spacer off and I am good to go for the meantime with my 5 rib belt. Waiting for a new belt and driving the truck like grandpa while staying out of boost is such a tease!

Old 02-07-2011, 01:56 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Where in CA did you get your truck tuned?

Old 02-07-2011, 02:47 AM
JDM tuned the truck but I'll be taking it over to a friend that no longer tunes for the public to touch it up in a few weeks or so on his dyno. Though I might not because this JDM tune is killer!

Old 02-07-2011, 04:03 AM
Originally Posted by mSaLL150
Where in CA did you get your truck tuned?

JDM does a great job tuning trucks with out a dyno but if you want to get on a dyno I know a place down south (downy CA) called racers edge tuning that said they could do mine for me. I plan on getting down there after my brake in period. Kind of a drive for you but if you have the time and money i think it would be well worth it

-Eric

Old 02-07-2011, 09:12 AM
Can y'all add a v10 pulley and just go up a size on the belt?

Old 02-07-2011, 06:50 PM
v10 pulley to or on? Seems like over in california our parts stores only stock belts at the max of a 120 inch length. I'd be better off with a shorter belt if I could run it but I'm not willing to reinvent the wheel at this point trying to figure out the belt routing.

I wonder if we could fab up the 10 rib steeda setup with a roush lower? That would be cool but most likely would require a built motor for the amount of boost you could produce with that setup.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:04 AM
I believe FF is referring to a v10 water pump pulley, I know some in the mustang community install one for tighter/smaller belt installs. I do know magnuson carries the same size gates belts for the whipple, they run them on their mustang superchargers, I bought two a while back and I think they were around 20-25 dollars each, just gave one to twinskrewd. I am not sure how close magnuson is to where you live but they are located in cali. this could be another option for your belt needs.

Old 02-10-2011, 02:54 AM
Thanks for the info on Mangnuson having them. I've got 3 on the way and if I break anymore or need anymore I'll give them a ring.

Wouldn't a smaller pulley on the water pump make the truck run hotter if the flow drops? Just curious as I am not sure the size difference here.

Old 02-10-2011, 03:42 AM
Originally Posted by sbchris
Thanks for the info on Mangnuson having them. I've got 3 on the way and if I break anymore or need anymore I'll give them a ring.

Wouldn't a smaller pulley on the water pump make the truck run hotter if the flow drops? Just curious as I am not sure the size difference here.
The v10 water pump pulley is bigger.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Whipple Belt