spark plug changing?

Old 01-30-2011, 08:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
spark plug changing?

want to change my plugs and im spark plug ignorant...anyway what all do i need....i have the 97 4.2 v6...how many plugs? wires?...what kind?...i know motorcraft but is there a better one?.....and can i do it myself?

Old 01-31-2011, 01:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6 plugs and the motorcraft wires should be fine.

Stick with either Motorcraft, Autolite, NGK or Denso Irisium plugs. Do NOT get Bosch no matter how good the deal is. 99.9% of the time Bosch plugs will make the motor run rough.

Get a spark plug gap tool and make sure you gap the plugs to 0.054".
Before you change the wires label them and replace one at a time so you don't mix up the order.
The order of the cylinders when looking from the front of the motor is (left hand side is passenger side) 1, 2, 3. (right hand side is drivers side) 4,5,6.
On the coilpack make sure you connect the wires right, the order is 123 465, yeah 465, it looks strange but lots of ppl make that mistake.
Also to get at the #3 plug, the pass side one closest to the firewall, you'll need some sockets with universal elbows or you need to jack up the truck, take the pass side front tire off and come at the plug through the wheel well.
You may want to put a dab of anit-seize compound on the plug threads before you install them, makes it easier to take them out later.
Get yourself either a Hayne's or Chilton's repair manual for the step by step on most repairs.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a friendly warning about spark plugs...

Many folks get caught up in "performance" spark plug scam.... and their trucks wind up with serious issues. Your year model may not be effected, but PCM tolerances on trucks from the last 2-5 model years have gotten pretty tight....meaning that if the PCM does not detect the "correct" plugs, the engine will not run correctly.

That being said, it's always a good idea to go with plugs that are as close to OEM as possible. If in doubt, contact a Ford dealer/mechanic...those few minutes might save you a LOT of hassles.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:26 AM
Stick with Motorcraft if possible.

Old 01-31-2011, 11:46 AM
sounds good....thanx guys

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: spark plug changing?