2009 - 2014 F-150

Best time to buy a new F-150

Old 12-30-2010, 10:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best time to buy a new F-150

Ok I know that there are alot of very informed people on here including Ford salespeople. I am Undoubtedly going to be buying a 2011 FX4 Lux package in either Black or white. I know the exact options etc I want (except at this point engine, leaning towards the 5.0 but will try out the EB and will make an informed decision after driving each). I have been researching and watching the ford website for about a year now. So to you informed people I pose the following questions. When do the incentives really kick in on the F-150's and what can I expect to get off? I am also wondering whether or not incentives they will be as good as last years considering this is a brand new platform??

Watching the site this year..almost on a daily basis, it seemed like late Sept they really stepped it up and at 1 point my truck was something like 12-14 grand off!!!

I think the exact truck I spec'd out at its lowest point was at 38-39 grand....(FX4, lux, 20's, sunroof.)

I'm planning on saving for the next few months (in no rush) and putting somewhere between 15-20 grand down. When should I pull the trigger and what will get me the best deal?? what would be a good price to get this Truck at??? Will financing through Ford help with the price?? Please bare in mind that I am buying in Canada and I know you Americans have much better prices. Again any salespeople etc. your information would be greatly appreciated. I am also hoping to trade in my 2000 grand prix...but will negotiate a price before even mentioning that POS.

I know exactly what I want and maybe just going through the internet manager would be the best option..and order factory direct...sorry for the long post...

Last edited by Reddragon8; 12-30-2010 at 10:54 AM.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:06 AM
I have always found that buying near the last day of the month is a good time.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:16 PM
i plan i waiting till the summer time ( end of july or august prolly)

right now im just looking at what each dealer has on the lot and how fast they are selling....this way i can call their bluff when they say " a ton of people are looking at this truck and can go anyday"

Old 12-30-2010, 12:20 PM
i wouldnt mention that ur putting 15 grand down

Old 12-30-2010, 01:02 PM
Originally Posted by matthew87
i wouldnt mention that ur putting 15 grand down
Agreed - do not tell them you have that much to put down. Don't play the payment game either. Simply talk price with them - the payments are a function of the price.

But that wasn't your question. I'm not 'informed', but my feeble mind tells me not to be the first in line for the new truck. I'm also not planning to wait for months on end either. I'll give the EB a little time to lose some hype and then I'll pull the trigger...

Old 12-30-2010, 02:10 PM
Originally Posted by TX Chris
Agreed - do not tell them you have that much to put down. Don't play the payment game either. Simply talk price with them - the payments are a function of the price.

But that wasn't your question. I'm not 'informed', but my feeble mind tells me not to be the first in line for the new truck. I'm also not planning to wait for months on end either. I'll give the EB a little time to lose some hype and then I'll pull the trigger...
Yeah I'm not going to play the payment game either..I won't mention the down payment but I want to nail them down to an exact total price everything in...then we'll go from there. I have heard from a number of people they like to come at you with the this is how much yuor payment will be. Thanks for the input so far....as I mentioned earlier I can outwait Ford until their incentives bring the price of the truck to below $40K all in...

Old 12-30-2010, 02:30 PM
You can always get a dealer down within a couple hundred bucks of invoice. So the only factors you would wait for are rebates and incentives. Ford usually has a truck month incentive in March and October. Then end of year model clearance starting in November. Any time the price of fuel is high is a good time to get a truck for cost. Most of this year Ford had another 1k to the dealer on XLT models so that was a good incentive on top of the regular 4,500 in rebates. So you just have to wait for the rebate or incentive you want. Invoice or cost will be the same all year long save for a dealer incentive from Ford like the 1k XLT cash.

Old 12-30-2010, 02:33 PM
The extra 1,000 was only on the SuperCrew XLT models I think.

4,500 on all other models down.

Originally Posted by L8 APEX
You can always get a dealer down within a couple hundred bucks of invoice. So the only factors you would wait for are rebates and incentives. Ford usually has a truck month incentive in March and October. Then end of year model clearance starting in November. Any time the price of fuel is high is a good time to get a truck for cost. Most of this year Ford had another 1k to the dealer on XLT models so that was a good incentive on top of the regular 4,500 in rebates. So you just have to wait for the rebate or incentive you want. Invoice or cost will be the same all year long save for a dealer incentive from Ford like the 1k XLT cash.

Last edited by gregsf150stx; 12-30-2010 at 02:37 PM.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:30 PM
If there is a big auto show in your city, there will usually be some auto show bonus cash if you buy during that time. If I were you though, I'd wait until those who gotta have the newest and latest (no matter how much they pay) are done getting fleeced and the dealers have to go back to bargaining on the 2011s. Unless you've bought from a particular salesman before, you're probably better off negotiating with the Internet departments of a couple dealerships because those guys/gals are usually salaried, you can avoid their high-pressure dealership tactics, you can pit them against each other, and you only need to go in to the dealer to sign on the dotted line once the dirty work is done. The last few new cars and trucks we've purchased were done via fax or email and we just went in to sign the paperwork. Eliminates a huge amount of wasted time and frustration with the games they like to play with customers.

Old 12-30-2010, 05:04 PM
Originally Posted by GoingGoingGone
If there is a big auto show in your city, there will usually be some auto show bonus cash if you buy during that time. If I were you though, I'd wait until those who gotta have the newest and latest (no matter how much they pay) are done getting fleeced and the dealers have to go back to bargaining on the 2011s. Unless you've bought from a particular salesman before, you're probably better off negotiating with the Internet departments of a couple dealerships because those guys/gals are usually salaried, you can avoid their high-pressure dealership tactics, you can pit them against each other, and you only need to go in to the dealer to sign on the dotted line once the dirty work is done. The last few new cars and trucks we've purchased were done via fax or email and we just went in to sign the paperwork. Eliminates a huge amount of wasted time and frustration with the games they like to play with customers.
This is a good point - it definitely takes a bit of the salesman hassle out of the process. I found a fleet guy from a somewhat local (near my lakehouse) dealership on a fishing forum and he said he'd give me a smokin' deal when it comes time to buy my truck. It'll be nice not dealing with salesman this time around... though I will price shop if his deal isn't quite smokin'...

Old 12-30-2010, 05:34 PM
Originally Posted by L8 APEX
You can always get a dealer down within a couple hundred bucks of invoice.

How do I determine what their invoice cost is??? I would like to have a ballpark of what they pay for my particular truck going in so I can negioate to as close to that price as possible.

Old 12-30-2010, 05:51 PM
Hiller ford in WI posts MSRP and invoice $ for stock trucks. I hear if you buy Ford stock you autimatically qualify for x-plan pricing which = invoice. Even 1 share. I did not realize that b4 I purchased. I did everything backwards. I presumed in May 2010 that since the new F250s were a new product offering that incentives would be nill. And the dealers each had very few. And, my purchase was completely impulsive. Again, all backwards.

Old 12-30-2010, 06:09 PM
Originally Posted by ommegang
Hiller ford in WI posts MSRP and invoice $ for stock trucks. I hear if you buy Ford stock you autimatically qualify for x-plan pricing which = invoice. Even 1 share. I did not realize that b4 I purchased. I did everything backwards. I presumed in May 2010 that since the new F250s were a new product offering that incentives would be nill. And the dealers each had very few. And, my purchase was completely impulsive. Again, all backwards.
It is my understanding that you have to own the stock for 12 months before the discount is applicable. Otherwise, what prevents everyone from buying one share of Ford stock the day before they purchase a vehicle?

Old 12-30-2010, 06:27 PM
You could be right. I just read this on this or another fourum. I thought the same thing you did. Doesn't sound logical. But, invoice pricing is where it is at.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:05 PM
Originally Posted by TX Chris
It is my understanding that you have to own the stock for 12 months before the discount is applicable. Otherwise, what prevents everyone from buying one share of Ford stock the day before they purchase a vehicle?
You have to own 100 shares of ford and hold it for 6 months, then Shareholder services will issue you a pin number which entitles you to a price about $100 over invoice.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best time to buy a new F-150