power steering pressure hose teflon seal???

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 08:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
power steering pressure hose teflon seal???

2000 F150. My pressure hose at the pump is leaking. The service manual describes the fitting there as a quick connect with a teflon seal. It shows a special tool to get the teflon seal onto the end of the hose. But I can't make it out clearly.
Q1. Does the teflon seal go around the outside of the threads on the nut?
Q2. Does the seal go over all the threads and sit against the flange on the nut before it is threaded into the pump, or only halfway up the threads?
Q3. Is the teflon seal available separately? (my hose looks fine otherwise)
Q4. Do you need a special tool as shown in the manual to install a new seal?

I haven't tried tightening the nut because my 18mm flat wrench is too long to fit there. The service manual says I have to take the pump off with the hose attached at that end, then remove hose fitting on the bench. What if I cut off a flat wrench to make it shorter to fit in there???. Is it likely the hose threaded fitting is loose, or would I be wasting my money making a short wrench to fit??

Old 12-09-2010, 09:09 AM
Just buy the hose!
The seal will break on you even with the proper tool!
My two cents.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:05 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The special tool is a long tapered drift. Put a little PSF on it, and slide it down, gently stretching the teflon ring until it will barely fit onto the fitting.

Go to a pawn shop, flea market, or garage sale & buy a cheapo wrench to modify, but the fitting is probably tight.

Old 12-09-2010, 03:09 PM
Thanks for the advice guys.
I did some further checks this morning and maybe it is not leaking at the hose, but it might be coming down from the seal on the power steering shaft. So, I will have to clean it off again and try and isolate the leak. If it is the pump, I'm thinking I might as well get the hose too. In for a penny, in for a pound.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:59 PM
Further update: yes, it is leaking from the shaft seal not the hose connection. So new pump and new hose. Thanks for your help.

Quick Reply: power steering pressure hose teflon seal???