2004 - 2008 F-150

Shift Interlock Issues

Old 10-13-2010, 03:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shift Interlock Issues

Have an '05 F150. Unable to get out of park. Have checked the fuses and brake lights, all are good. Have read a few posts indicating the stoplamp switch may be the issue. Replaced the switch and the issues continues. Any ideas. Thanks.

Old 10-13-2010, 03:18 PM
Had similar on a Honda Accord (GF's) few years back. It was the brake lockout/safety switch. Had a manual over ride. Could be your prob. I'm still learning F150 right now though.

David

Old 10-13-2010, 05:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Shoyt
Have an '05 F150. Unable to get out of park. Have checked the fuses and brake lights, all are good. Have read a few posts indicating the stoplamp switch may be the issue. Replaced the switch and the issues continues. Any ideas. Thanks.
Hey Shoy, I had the same issue a while ago. It's the shift interlock solenoid/actuator. It's a piece that fits onto the driver side of the shifter, in the flow through console.

Ford will want $400 + labor or some ridiculous price like that. You can order the part from TascaFordParts.com (1-800-915-3141 Ask for Domenic) and it'll run you about $75. It's easy to replace even if you're an idiot like me.

I will try my best to answer any additional questions you may have.

Thanks,
Anthony

Old 10-15-2010, 02:18 PM
Anthony,

Tasca had to order the part. Will take a couple of days. Will wait and see. Appreciate the help.

Shannon

Old 10-27-2010, 11:34 PM
It works!

Anthony,
It worked. Appreciate the information. Took a little while to install just because I took my time. Not the most mechanically inclined individual so if I can do it, anyone can. Again, thanks for the info. By the way, Tasco Ford was great. Price was unbelievable.

Old 11-08-2010, 06:29 AM
I think I just had the same issue. Stopped at a convenient store and when I tried to back out, I coulddnt ge the truck out of Park. Ended up calling a tow ruck. Now Ford wants 550 to repair. I can get the part from a Ford source - is it difficult to repair ? Do instructions come with part?

Old 11-08-2010, 06:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are no instructions. Essentially, you need to dismantle the flow through console to get to the driver-side of the shifter. I'll try to take some pictures on my break from class tomorrow.

The part is like $80 from Tasca, don't pay Ford to do it.

Old 11-16-2010, 01:27 AM
Sling,
Sorry for not responding earlier...work in the produce business is starting up. Hope you were able to resolve your issue. Tasca was the best price I found. My truck also stopped a convenience store. For some reason I whipped out the ol' manual out of the glove compartment and low and behold, there were few pages on this issue. After popping the center console and pushing down the little white buttom, it worked. The only bad thing, I had to drive around for over a week with the console removed because I live across the US from the Tasca dealership, and I ordered it on a Friday. Cost was $91 for the part and $14 for the shipping. Anyway, it was not hard to replace. Just take your time. The hardest part I had was removing the O/D button. Ended up braking it. Fortunately, a new button came with. Again, sorry for not checking the forum any sooner. Hope this helps.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:41 PM
Had this happen today on my '04. Did you guys notice a clicking sound from steering column when this started? Mine clicks now when pulling shifter button when brake is applied and in park. Thanks.

Old 03-30-2011, 05:37 PM
My 05 FX4 did the same.thing today. I called Tasca Ford and they told me it was the transmision actuator that went on the right side of shifter box. I was quoted $91.11 so not sure if this is the right part.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:20 PM
Price sounds right for the shift lock assembly. If working properly, you can see the "white button" move up and down when the brake is applied (must first remove the console lid). Assembly is located on the driverside of the shift lever, and the white button is found on top of the assembly. As for the the clicking noise, it may be the stoplamp switch located on the backside of the brake pedal. When the pedal is engaged, you can hear a clicking sound. The stoplamp swith was the first suggestion given to me. Bought it at a local dealer for $40 or so. When I determined that wasn't the problem, took back the part. Hope this helps.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:26 PM
Just got back from the dealer for my recall on the air bag while there I ask the to look at my overdrive which works on and off for 5 to 15 sec. The perfomed diag and came up witht he shift interlock switch RR for 497.00 where is it and how may I replace it. is it inside teh CC on the drivers side? My over drive button is sticky and the over drive light, if there is one does not come on.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shift Interlock Issues