Changing a tire/flat with a 6" Lift - new jack needed?

Old 10-14-2010, 09:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changing a tire/flat with a 6" Lift - new jack needed?

So after getting my Pro Comp Stage 1 installed on my 315/70/17s, I always wondered "will my stock jack still allow me to change a flat away on the road?"

Ummm... no. I took the stock jack out and attempted to raise my truck up. The jack topped out just before touching the frame rail. Ok, stock jack is out. :o

Next, I try my Craftsman SUV floor jack (maximum 21" lifting height)... I can raise the truck up, but not enough to get the front tire off the ground. Not to mention that my my 3-ton jack stand is as high as it will go - but slides freely under the frame rail once raised.

So I'm looking to the forum members to see what options/suggestions you have for an "acceptable" solution to my problem. If possible, I don’t want to toss a floor jack it the bed. I entertained the option of a hi-lift or farm jack, but not completely sold on that solution.

I’m able to lift the rear (via the axle) without any problems, so I’m wondering if I need to use another lift point in the front – like maybe the Pro Comp front cross member?

Old 10-16-2010, 05:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Even though you're not supposed to, I lift mine from the lower control arm. That way it doesnt have to go through its full travel before lifting the truck. On the 09+ lower control arms, there is a little notch that fits the jack perfectly, so as long as I'm on level ground, it will not slip.

Old 10-16-2010, 07:04 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Purchase a Hi lift Jack and lift it from the tow hook? You could cut a length of 6x2 hardwood into 6x6 squares. Stack and bolt 3 together to make a base to put under your factory jack.

Old 10-17-2010, 04:58 PM
bottle jack.. put under the seat. i made a stand (base) for it to stand up straight. and then use a block to put under the jack

Old 10-17-2010, 05:31 PM
put a block of wood under your seat a 4x4 or something and lay it on its side

Old 10-18-2010, 08:02 PM
i just lift from the pro comp crossmember. at the part where the lower control arm attaches to it, and a 2x4 between the jack and the crossmember. it seems like its the beefiest in that spot where the lower control arm is for some reason. done it probably ten times with no problems.

Old 10-20-2010, 05:50 PM
This may be a dumb, but I assume that you have a 315/70/17 spare.

I've seen guys get a flat on a lifted truck, then realize that they don't have a spare that will work.

Old 10-20-2010, 06:04 PM
FX4SX - I was thinking about that, but I'm also sporting the Pro Comp skid plate - which bolts to the front cross member. I will play around with that solution, thanks.

Ibrocun - Yes, that was the first thing I tackled. After confirming the 35" tire would fit in the stock spare location, I ordered a matching rim online. Should be here tomorrow. Now have to find a single decent 35" tire. I was planning on using a basic 17" rim, but worried about the backspacing needed by the lift kit. Rear tire wouldn't be an issue - but the front would.

Thanks for everyone else's suggestions. Hi-lift / Farm jack shouldn't be an issue from the rear hitch - but not too comfortable using it on the front tow hooks. But, I know there's an adapter out there for the hooks.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:33 PM
ohhh.. i see. but it looks like you might still have a little room in there at least. and no problem

Old 10-20-2010, 10:58 PM
nvm

Last edited by 1fast4.6; 10-20-2010 at 11:01 PM.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:09 AM
I always thought you could run a smaller tire up front so the rear diff won't get damaged? If you have a flat in the rear, swap out with a front tire, and put the spare up front.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:39 AM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Get one of these and never worry about jacking up your vehicle. http://www.offroaders.com/directory/...ger-X-jack.htm

Old 10-21-2010, 10:41 AM
Originally Posted by Hunt&Fish
I always thought you could run a smaller tire up front so the rear diff won't get damaged? If you have a flat in the rear, swap out with a front tire, and put the spare up front.
Yes, that is correct. However, I cannot run the stock rim on the front due to the backspacing - hence the aftermarket rims - on a 6" Pro Comp lift. 4" Rancho will support factory rims, but that doesn't apply to me.

Regardless, unless I have to rotate tires for maintenance reasons - I don't necessarily enjoy changing tires. So, I would prefer to change a tire once, then essentially twice.

I appreciate your advice, but I'm looking for information on how to properly/safely jack up my lifted truck - I have my rim/tire situation already taken care of. I sold my factory spare (along with all my factory tires) since they are useless to me now.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:44 AM
Originally Posted by JMC
Get one of these and never worry about jacking up your vehicle. http://www.offroaders.com/directory/...ger-X-jack.htm
Saw this already... and looks promising. Definitely has a smaller storage footprint vs a conventional jack.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Changing a tire/flat with a 6" Lift - new jack needed?