1997 F150 drivers side window

Old 02-13-2010, 06:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 F150 drivers side window

My drivers side window will not go down but will go up. I tried two switches and have the same problem i took the motor out tested it with a battery charger and reverserd the wires to the motor. The motor would operate in both directions with battery charger if i pull the fuse to the GEM the window goes down and the switch will bring the window back up. Has anyone experienced this type of issues. any input would be great

THANKS

Old 02-14-2010, 07:53 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Was the 2nd switch a new, out of the box switch ? ( might need to test the switches )

When you are pressing down, are you pressing the down function, or far enough to operate the OTD function ?

Old 02-14-2010, 09:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a 97 did the exact same thing. I proved out the switches and driver side motor. Turned out I had a leak into the PCM and it shorted out the window motor commands. I lived with it for a year or so. Freaky thing was after awhile the window would go down on its own and sometimes I couldn't make it go up. I fixed it by putting it into the scrap plan. I forgot what the dealership wanted to fix it, something like $600 or something crazy. There is a TSB for a water leak into the PCM. If it wasn't for the cash for clunker program I was going to bypass with a separate manual switch.

Old 02-18-2010, 05:06 PM
I have the same exact problem with my 98. Two switches tried with no luck. I certainly didn't want to hear PCM could be the problem. Any one else have some input?

Old 02-18-2010, 05:31 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Did you pull and check the power window motor ?

Was the 2nd switch a new, out of the box switch ? ( might need to test the switches )

When you are pressing down, are you pressing the down function, or far enough to operate the OTD function ?

Old 02-19-2010, 02:40 PM
I did not test the motor seperately but it does sometimes go down, I know that doesn't mean the motor isn't the problem but less likely.

No the second switch was used but exhibits the same exact issue as the original.

I tried both positions on th switch.

My guess all long has been not the switch or motor but I had my hopes!
Guess I need to test the motor just to make sure.

Thanks!

Old 03-17-2010, 01:21 PM
I had a 97 did the exact same thing. I proved out the switches and driver side motor. The motor work fine in tests out of door, install it and fail again, I decide to replace all mechanism and motor. work fine until put the panel in place. So, the problem is electrical. Now to test wires.

Old 07-24-2010, 11:39 AM
Question F150 drivers side window...

...having the same issues with our '98!!!

Have you had any success?

Sometimes it almost "seems" temperture related to the point that the
window will NOT work at all...or it will with some help...

Other times it seems to have more of a mechanical "feel" to it...almost
like the track the glass is sliding in is somehow binding...

Then there are the moments where the stupid thing just has a mind of
it's own and I NEVER know WHAT it will do...

..like last nite when a nasty storm blew in unexpected & out of nowhere
and the TORNADO sirens started blastig all around and the window
was stuck DOWN and I had the door panel & tools & all sorts of "stuff" scattered all about...yee-ha!!!

-

Old 10-11-2010, 09:20 PM
Similar Problem with 1997 Lariat Driver Window

I have a 1997 Lariat that has a problem with the Driver side window, it won't go down. I have replaced the switch, all the relays and have even taken the door apart to check the motor and regulator. Testing the power to the motor, the motor gets power to roll the window up, but no voltage down. I replaced the down relay again and it worked for a couple of days and died again, thankfully in the up postion. The motor will work with power and I tested it with a replacment motor and it did the same thing!?

Any suggestions??

Old 12-16-2010, 01:20 PM
Possessed Window

I hardly ever visit here much anymore (shame on me) but I don't drive my old truck much either.
Due to a snow storm I was forced to drive it to work today. Get out to town and stop at gas station to clear some snow from windshield. All of sudden driver side window goes down by itself. Push the up button it goes up all the way and then comes back down. We must have played that game 10 times. Finally I jerked the switch panel off and unplugged it. Half way to work I was stopped in traffic, plugged it back in and nothing at all (neither window). Went out at lunch plugged it in again, and works like it should. Weird. I hope it's not moisture at the PCM. The truck does sit a lot anymore and the back window does leak.
Seat belt would fully extend either and did at lunch.
Those master power window switches are hard to find (dealers and used only), you O'rielly's and Advance's do not carry them. Expect to pay $60 +, that's more then the window motor.
Just thought I would share my story.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1997 F150 drivers side window