Transmission Shifting Problems & Non Working Speedo/Odometer

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 06:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission Shifting Problems & Non Working Speedo/Odometer

I have a 94 F150 2wd 5.8 V8 w/ I believe is a E4OD Automatic Transmission. 180,00+ miles. It started to shift pretty hard in every gear once in a while but now can do it all of the time. I'm scared I'm going to do some damage to something so when it gets to a certain RPM, I ease off the throttle and let it go into the next gear and then I start back on the gas. It also downshifts pretty hard too. When I say it shifts hard, it's like BAM then it's runs fine. When this started, I checked the fluid and it might have been right on the line but not really low. I added about a 1/4 of a quart, (is that a real measurement? lol), but still drove the same. The fluid was red, like it's supposed to be, not burnt or anything, just the same as new fluid. Anyway, now after this has happened, I have lost my speedometer and odometer, they just don't work now. I was wondering if this is all related? When it shifts from 1st to second, I think, maybe 2nd to 3rd, it BAM, goes into that gear and it seems to shift normally into another gear right after that. Even going into OD, it shifts hard. I'm not even close to being hard on my vehicles but I don't baby them all of the time. I've done a lot of searching on this forum and one thread says it could be the Transmission Range Sensor. My mechanic and I have talked briefly about it and he thinks it's electronically related. I'm stumped. I was having somewhat of a fuel pump related issue but I drive it locally so that's the least of my worries. I love my truck but with all these issues, it would be cheaper just to shoot it that try to figure and solve all the issues with this truck. If I can just get the transmission problem solved, I'd be a happy camper for now. I hope I gave enough information to solve my problem. Thanks for any and all help.

BTW, this tranny shifting problem happens about 95%+of the time. Sometimes it shifts like normal.

Old 09-02-2010, 01:30 AM
Anyone?

Old 09-02-2010, 07:29 AM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Fix the speedometer and the trans will probably go back to normal. The trans uses the speedometer signal to shift, without the signal the PCM can't shift the trans correctly.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:21 AM
Problem Solved!!!

Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
Fix the speedometer and the trans will probably go back to normal. The trans uses the speedometer signal to shift, without the signal the PCM can't shift the trans correctly.
Looked through my repair manual, it told me that my truck has no cable but a speed sensor on the rear anti-locks that tells the PCM the speed and shifts according to that. I went out to my truck and something told me to check the fuses, just to humor myself, and see if there might be a fuse for my speed/odometer. Yup, #8...pulled it out and it was blown. I replaced and the digital odometer came on...YES! Had a short errand to run and the truck shifted like it was supposed to. I guess I could have just said it was a fuse and been done with it but I just had to tell what happened. Maybe this can help others with a similar problem. Thanks for the help Mark, you're a life saver! Now to get the fuel gauge to work in the front and probably change the fuel pump and I'll be set. Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Transmission Shifting Problems & Non Working Speedo/Odometer