1997 - 2003 F-150

What is it worth? Boss 5.4 f150

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 12:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is it worth? Boss 5.4 f150

I have a 2002 Boss 5.4 number 288. It has the boss package, and 59500 miles and nor performance mods. The reason i ask is I took it to a dealer ship where the new sales side has offered 14k for it and then I looked over at the used side and saw an 2003 HD.So the used car manager then offer 9900 for it. why the swing of 4k and what is really the value. I can't even find one for sale. I just walk out for dealership and more then likely won't do business with them base on this (I used to get my truck serviced there). It is in good shape not great but for life of why was this guy low balling. Any advice would be great.
Cheers and Thanks
Tom

Old 08-28-2010, 12:22 PM
Technical Article Contributor

they may try and sell it for 14k but theyre always gonna low ball you on the trade cuz thats how they make money

you need to look at nada and kbb rather than the dealer

Old 08-28-2010, 12:36 PM
The funny part is it is the same dealer with a 4k swing. I did the KBB and the closest i can get would be a variant of the lightning and I figured about 11k where as a Lighting in same condition goes for 13k as a trade in. Go figure the guy would try to sell it for 17 to 18. I have seen them on the internet for about 16 when you can find them on sale.

Old 08-28-2010, 12:49 PM

different sides. ofcourse theyll tell you you could get 14k cuz thats what theyd sell it for. you always have to nego with trades cuz they try and low ball the hell out of the trade and dont take it off the truck you want

Old 08-28-2010, 12:54 PM
I just walked out. again it was not like they told me they could get 14k they offered 14k, It just seemed really odd. At least i am not desperate truck runs well and there are no issues. I'll just wait to find a raptor or maybe an fx in a year or so
Cheers

Old 08-28-2010, 01:32 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
new car side usually will give you more for the trade because they are making more profit by selling a new vehicle vs used. A new vehicle has anywhere from 2k-6k of profit on it depending on current rebates, where as used cars are generally like 1-2k profit.

so they cut into their profit a little, offer you a higher trade in. They also will make more money on the financing (in house)

Old 08-28-2010, 02:23 PM
Basically with dealers and trade-ins, it comes down to how much you are willing to take for your trade. whats it worth to you. Dealers often use what they call a "Dealers Black Book". Its not like the kelley blue book or NADA, its full of ACTUAL auction values and retail values of all sorts of vehicles. Of course they are going to low ball you, thats just business. KBB and NADA are all just estimates and while they may get you close to what its worth, they are often just guesses based on older information and sales figures, whereas the black book is always current and so the numbers are much more real.

But really, if it sounds like a good deal to you, take it. If not, walk away. Just because it said it was worth some odd dollars on the interwebs doesn't mean you can get that in the real world. The whole dealer/seller relationship is all about both parties feeling like they didn't get screwed, not about what the internet said.

Old 08-28-2010, 05:13 PM
Highlife and pat I understand completely but like I said something did not feel quite right. we are not talking two different dealers, the same dealer different sales department. They actually try to tell me the sales manager called several different sport truck dealers in 10 minutes they had the keys. Even my wife had to call shenanigans on that one. I am not over valuing the truck. If you could find them on sale they are usually from a private seller for 16 to 18 k.
what they did by this is cost them a customer because don't spit int he wind and tell me it's raining i went in with an idea of 11 to 12 k not the high of 14 realizing this was the used car side. when I do purchase my next ford it won't be from them and I'll let them know i am taking my vehicle to a different service department for the same reason.
I know everyone needs to make money but like I said don't try to blatantly screw me.

Old 08-28-2010, 07:02 PM
Yeah ram, it seems like you have a good head on your shoulders because like I said, if ANYTHING doesn't seem right just walk away. Some dealers, especially in tough times like these will try to give themselves the biggest profit margin to make up for the cars that aren't selling. But yeah, just study your options and know that when it comes to dealers, YOU actually have the upper hand even though the stealership doesn't want to admit that. There are plenty of other dealers and there are plenty of other trucks out there.

I used work at a stealership and was amazed at the people who just jumped in and didn't research their options. Most of all, pay attention to your interest rate. If you don't know how they work, financing companies will tell the dealer your rate, then the dealer bumps it up and tells you its higher than it actually is. When you sign for a higher percent, the finance company will give the dealer back most or all of that extra money. The higher your APR is, the more they bump it up. NEVER take the first or second APR that they give you. NEVER. (I have NEVER seen a dealer that doesn't do this, but I also haven't worked at every dealer in the world.)

I worked at a respectable dealer, they didn't do any of the real shady stuff, but they do **** like this in pretty much ever part of the dealer/buyer interaction. From the first talk to signing the papers, unless you personally know them or you're married to them, assume they are lying, because they sure aren't telling you the whole truth. DEFINITELY haggle with trade-in and selling values. They scrounge for every dollar. That's just the dealership code of ethics. lol.

Last edited by HighLife; 08-28-2010 at 07:10 PM.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:47 PM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by rammagen
The funny part is it is the same dealer with a 4k swing. I did the KBB and the closest i can get would be a variant of the lightning and I figured about 11k where as a Lighting in same condition goes for 13k as a trade in. Go figure the guy would try to sell it for 17 to 18. I have seen them on the internet for about 16 when you can find them on sale.
it's got the same value as a "normal F-150", don't even class ify it close to a lightning unles you've got one like boss1984 has and his doesn't have the larger brakes up front

Old 08-29-2010, 01:15 PM
Originally Posted by tarajerame
it's got the same value as a "normal F-150", don't even class ify it close to a lightning unles you've got one like boss1984 has and his doesn't have the larger brakes up front
Normal f150 worth 6k checked before hand, and like I said earlier the SAME DEALER and a 4K SWING

Old 08-29-2010, 03:00 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by tarajerame
Right! There's not much Boss about them - "factory" IMO, they didn't sell and got the axe.

boss1984 - That's what it should be all about. ~BOSS for sure , - Fricken Bad *** Boss

I haven't seen him around lately, - haven't seen Joey in awhile as well. Built54 has another project truck in the works going tho, last I heard. PSD I think

Old 08-29-2010, 07:03 PM
Actually the company folded and became another conversion company.
And what is with you guys did you read the entire the post where It was stated SAME DEALER and a 4K SWING

Quick Reply: What is it worth? Boss 5.4 f150