Changing Front Struts and Coils

Old 07-12-2010, 02:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changing Front Struts and Coils

Okay, I've read two different ways to change out the front struts/coils on a 2005 F150. One involves unbolting upper control arm and ball joint along with sway bar link, the other involves unbolting the tie rod and sway bar link. Which way is easiest/best (Pro's/Con's)?

I'm looking at doing this over the coming weekend and though the tie rod/sway bar procedures sounds easier not sure that is necessarily the case so rather ask those who have done this.

Appreciate any inputs regarding this!

Regards,
Tom
U.S. Navy Retired

Old 07-12-2010, 03:04 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You will never get the strut assembly out if you don't unbolt the ball joint. Hate to pop your bubble, but your really need to unbolt the ball joint, the tie rod end and the sway bar end links.

Old 07-12-2010, 03:25 PM
Windsor,

Thanks. That's what I thought then I ran into the following posting and picture link:

https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...ks-myself.html This person used the procedures from the next link:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gall...&albumid=15517

This way "seems" easier but doesn't necessarily mean it is. Figured it was worth asking.

Regards,
Tom

Old 07-12-2010, 10:57 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You can get the assembly out by just undoing the upper ball joint. No need to disconnect tie rod ends or sway bar...I just did a truck last weekend.

FWIW, (and not trying to be a tool) they are not struts. They are called coil-overs. It is a conventional shock with the coil spring affixed to the body of the shock. A strut is something completely different.

Old 07-28-2010, 03:16 PM
Thanks for the input. Ended up doing as both of you had said. Took about 1 and a half hours to do the first side and less for the second. Only problem I ran into was while tightening the second side, one of the three bolts on top popped off (rusted off). The other two bolts and center cap are good but now only two bolts are on top (the first has enough bolt left to keep assembly in place but not enough threads to throw a nut on.

Am I stuck buying a new top mount and taking things apart again?

Old 07-28-2010, 05:02 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ouch...that's a tough one. I have a feeling you may get responses in both directions, which doesn't help your decision a bit. Here's my input...you already had one bolt break off you say due to corrosion. What's the condition of the other two, that may be carying more/different load because of the missing third person?? How long will it be before another goes? May be 100,000, may be never, may be 100? Where will you be when it lets go? Cause when it does, you're stuck. It's not like a truck with a conventional shock that breaks which can be driven just fine. On the other hand, you have the entire weight of the truck and the compressed suspension (under its own weight) holding that assembly in position. Maybe it wont go anywhere. Me personally...I'd fix it.

Last edited by Galaxy; 07-28-2010 at 05:05 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:25 PM
Galaxy,

Thanks, that's sort of how I'm leaning. I did have the Ford dealer take a look at it and felt I would be fine driving around like that (they felt it wasn't a safety issue). Then again, if it does go, they will have a potential customer.

Will probably order a new top cap and replace the old one. The other bolts are pretty good but I don't want to risk hitting a major pot hole or frost heave and shear the other ones off.

Thanks again!

Tom

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Changing Front Struts and Coils