2004 - 2008 F-150

Viair Dual Trump Air Horn Install help

Old 07-07-2010, 10:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Viair Dual Trump Air Horn Install help

I bought this kit from a fellow member, missing some parts or at least I think, got it for a great deal. I don't have an instructions book on it so if someone ahs one and can scan it or get it to me that would solve my problem.

http://www.assuredautomotiveproducts...IR275c-25G.htm

My buddy and I pull the tank and compressor in the toolbox and made a whole for a air line to go up to the airhorn behind the grill through the frame to hide it.

From there we got stuck with all the wiring stuff, are we suppose to run a set of wires to the air horn as well? It has a 12v with cables, or can we run it from the stock horn?

Not sure if the horn with work like that also or if it only will work with the compressor, because if so I could have a low ton plus a higher ton when I press the switch that I bought to put in the dash.

The issue is with the cluster that shows the levels of compression, how do I hook that up? Do I need to run 2 air lines to that as well.

I found this thread on another forum with a similar thing but it doesn't help me much with what I need: http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145784

*First time air horn install for me*

Old 07-07-2010, 10:26 PM
So are you running dual compressors? Just need to know, I am hooking my dual viair 444c compressors tommorow with nathan k3.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:28 PM
The only wires that go to the horns is a power line and ground, which actually will hook up to your air valve.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:30 PM
You really need to get a 40 amp relay, makes its alot easier to install.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:36 PM
mine only came with one compressor and the tank.

In terms of relay, where should I run it to, previous owner told me to run it to the radio power.

So I run the power wire from the air horn to the battery or somewhere else?

Tempted to see what happens if I hook it up to the other stock horn power wire, will it go off with that even I don't initiated the air horn switch to blow the horn with the actual air from the tank?

Old 07-07-2010, 10:44 PM
Ok. A relay is a (not sure how to describe it) a power source for all the other components to need to hook. A relay is the right way of doing, most people do abunch of splices and it looks like crap. If you get a relay it will allow you run 1 line from the battery to the relay, then in the other 3 slots on the relay you hook up your compressor, power, ignition switch, and ground.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:46 PM
There are so many different way of hooking it up. Go to hornblasters.com and they have wiring schematics.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:51 PM
oh ok thanks that helps! What about the grey box that comes with my kit? It basically has the wiring for all the different things, just not sure if thats a relay since I don't have any instructions on the kit at all lol

Thanks.

P.S. Its in the pictures of the 1st post

Edit this: http://www.assuredautomotiveproducts...keywords=relay

I knew what it was but wiring it didn't work as we had thought lol. I have to re-try it.

Now I just don't know how to do the guage on the dash, 2 air lines to it to tell the pressure?

Old 07-07-2010, 11:57 PM
Oh ok the grey box is a pressure switch with a built in relay. I think with the dash kit you can run air lines to it.

Old 07-08-2010, 12:34 AM
oh ok that makes sense then, I have to give it a try. I ran one in through the rear vent for the interior fan in the back of the cab, good idea or not?

I have to run the other one thru there

Old 07-08-2010, 01:52 PM
Originally Posted by edgespeeder06
I bought this kit from a fellow member, missing some parts or at least I think, got it for a great deal. I don't have an instructions book on it so if someone ahs one and can scan it or get it to me that would solve my problem.

http://www.assuredautomotiveproducts...IR275c-25G.htm

My buddy and I pull the tank and compressor in the toolbox and made a whole for a air line to go up to the airhorn behind the grill through the frame to hide it.

From there we got stuck with all the wiring stuff, are we suppose to run a set of wires to the air horn as well? It has a 12v with cables, or can we run it from the stock horn?

Not sure if the horn with work like that also or if it only will work with the compressor, because if so I could have a low ton plus a higher ton when I press the switch that I bought to put in the dash.

The issue is with the cluster that shows the levels of compression, how do I hook that up? Do I need to run 2 air lines to that as well.

I found this thread on another forum with a similar thing but it doesn't help me much with what I need: http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145784

*First time air horn install for me*
Hello,

It is possible for you to run a wire from your horn to the power wire of the solenoid valve on the Air Horn so that your horn acts as the switch. Now the air horn will only run off the air so there is no real way to have a low and high tone. You may be able to try using different size airlines to try to get different tones, but then you would have to run more solenoid valves, switches, etc..

Ok so this is how it should be wired..

1) Mount the compressor (Where ever you would like, preferably a cooler spot though)

2) Mount the Tank (Where ever you would like) and thread in the pressure switch to the air tank

3) Mount the Air Horns (Where ever you would like)

4) Run a 12v fused power from the battery to the 30 prong on the relay

5) Ground the 85 prong of the relay

6) Run a wire from the 87 prong of the relay to the power wire(Red) of the compressor and then ground the compressor(Black wire)

7) Run a wire from the 86 prong on the relay to one side of the pressure switch and run a 12v power source to the other side of the pressure switch.
*** I recommend running the power from a 12volt ignition so if you have a small leak and lose pressure when truck is off your compressor wont go on all night and kill your battery.

8) Now you are going to run a wire from a 12v power source to the switch and then run another wire from the other terminal of the switch to the power wire on the Air Horn solenoid valve. Lastly you are going to ground the other wire of the solenoid valve. The two wires on the valve should be red and black even though it should work wired up either way. If not wire up one way but don’t solder till you test when done with install. If it doesn’t work switch the two wires.
***Now it looks like the gauge panel you got with the kit has a rocker switch on it next to the gauge but I would probably just run a pin switch somewhere else if you want.

9) Lastly hook up all your fittings accordingly and make sure to use TEFLON and wrap it the correct way or you will get leaks. Then you are going to run airline from the tank to the air gauge (The smaller airline if supplied). Then run airline from the air tank to the solenoid valve of the Air Horns. Also don’t forget to hook up the steel braided line from the compressor to the tank.
*** I would also recommend running a water trap right before the steel braided line goes into the tank.
*** Also if the gauge has an input and output you may have to run a line form the tank to the gauge as normal, then run the line from the other port of the gauge to the air horn instead of from the tank to the air horn.

10) Make sure you drain the air tank on a regular basis depending on how much you use it and how often the compressor kicks on.

Hopes this helps!!

Old 07-08-2010, 06:21 PM
thanks that definitely does, now lets see if I can get some more answers to my confusion lol.

As far as the relay linked in a post before. It has 4 cables, one being the ground.
I have the Compressor power running to it, the Air Horn power from the 12v hooked up right on the air horns (came like that) and my air horn trigger switch that I would put in the dash so I can make the air horn go offer.

Now one of these 4 cables is ground and the other is power to the battery, ignition or radio fuse, which leaves me with 3 power switches running to 2 cables from the relay.
Am I missing something? Where do I hook up the switch if I need to hook up the air horn power to the same wire, according to what the relay says?

Now in terms of the air guage, I need 2 separate hoses running to the back of it plus it has the on and off switch for tank (kinda needed it since my tank will be hidden in the toolbox and I can't check it often) It also needs a power cable ran from it to a power switch, what do I run it to? lol I'm puzzled and thats where my buddy and I got stuck the other night. Should I just run splices for those extra connections, if so to which lines?

Another thing is how do I find the ignition cable on my 04 when it shuts off or even the radio fuse so that the compressor will shut off when the car shuts off?

As far as the guage with the 2 air lines, I basically just bought more air lines and I have to run it from the tank to there I assume just so it can guage the pressure in the tank.

I appreciate any help and info I can get. I'm ready to put it in just trying to iron out the details before I mess something up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Viair Dual Trump Air Horn Install help