1992 F150 solenoid problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 03:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1992 F150 solenoid problem

I was replacing the wheel well solenoid and didn't pay enough attention to the connections. The solenoid has two big posts and one little one on top that has a push on. I have one green wire that I know goes to one of the two big posts. Only problem is I don't know which post to put it on - the most forward or the most rear post.

Anybody know?

Thanks in advance for your response.

Old 06-25-2010, 07:16 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I think it's a total of 4 wires.
1 From the batt to solinoid large wire
2 Small wire with large connector on the same side as the batt.
3 Large wire to the other side of solinoid to the starter
4 Small wire with push on connector to the small post, if it has 2 small posts it goes to the "s" post.

That is the way I remember it.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:21 PM
Re:2 Small wire with large connector on the same side as the batt.

I think you are right. I believe this is the thin green wire with large circular connector. I was afraid to take a chance on misplacing it for fear of shorting my electrical system. I will try this tomorrow.

Thanks for your information. I was laid off two years ago and I am still not working through no fault of my own. This will save me on the repair cost of sending it to a garage.

Thank god for the internet and honest working people .

Larry

Old 06-25-2010, 08:46 PM
Yes the small wire with the large connector is what supplies power to the key I think, so it has to be on the batt side.
The other little guy with the push on connector is what energizes the solinoid FROM the key.

Good luck.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:51 PM
Originally Posted by jgger
I think it's a total of 4 wires.
1 From the batt to solinoid large wire
2 Small wire with large connector on the same side as the batt.
3 Large wire to the other side of solinoid to the starter
4 Small wire with push on connector to the small post, if it has 2 small posts it goes to the "s" post.

That is the way I remember it.
I just went out and looked at the connections again to make sure. There are two red large wires that are joined parallel to each other into one assembly that goes to the positive terminal of the battery. The connection at the other end goes to the solenoid and it has just one U shaped connector with one hole at each U end- so no mistake on how to connect it to solenoid.

There are two white wires that are joined parallel to each other and they have only one circular hole terminal that I remember connects to the aft end of the solenoid terminal.

That leaves only the GREEN wire with the large connector.

From your recommendation 2) I believe I will connect it to the forward position on the solenoid (next to battery).

Thanks again.

Larry

Old 06-25-2010, 09:34 PM
Sounds just a little different than my 2000 Expy color wise. But I think you are right.
My large terninals are high and low and point toward the radiator. The "U" connector from the battery has the larger wire on the lower terminal with all the other wires on the same one. Then the plug on connector is a no brainer.

If you are unsure about yourself make the connections with the batt post not connected. When you do connect it if it turns the starter just yank it off. Leave it a little loose and have some one turn the key to start normal, make sure the starter shuts off with the key in the "on" position.

It's not rocket science and I think you got it!

Old 06-26-2010, 08:39 PM
Back again. Put all the electrical connections on my solenoid and the truck started right up. Next day the I took the truck out and it wouldn't start... just click, click, click. I am fairly certain now that it is the starter - only a 2 year brand new Bosch starter. Damn, I thought that they were supposed to be the best. I had the battery checked for voltage and load. It's good.

Any recommendations on a high quality replacement for the starter?

Quick Reply: 1992 F150 solenoid problem