Oil Leak at Filter housing

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 01:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Leak at Filter housing

Hello everyone,

I just want to thank everyone for all the good info over the years, I'm not a poster as you all can see, but hang out a little and read. Thanks for all the great info you provide.

On my 98 4.6 I have the factory oil filter adapter that relocates the oil filter to the rear of the engine by the bellhousing. Where it attaches to the front of the engine it is leaking. The radiator hose connects to the adapter as well. I would like to know what kind of job it would be to remove this part and replace the gasket. I'm aware that the cooling system needs to be drained. It appears that you may have to remove the motor mount because the adapter runs behind it. BTW, if I'm using the wrong name for this filter relocation part please correct me.

Old 06-25-2010, 06:33 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm surprised that you have one of those on your F150 from what I recall they were installed on E150 vans and I believe Limos. I am thinking of a long aluminum piece that runs the length of the block with the filter at the rear correct? Yes the engine mount has to be removed but after that there are only a couple bolts holding it on, two 13mm I believe and of course the four 10mm bolts at the front of the adapter itself. Yes there is a gasket at the adapter behind the four bolts that may be giving you the leak problem. Yes drain the coolant first and you will have some minor oil spillage as well. Take care.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:01 PM
Yep! A long aluminum manifold like piece that extends the length of the block to the rear with the filter mounted in a vertical position near the bellhousing.

Another odd thing is after some research I found that my truck has 97 T-Bird exhaust manifolds. This was confirmed by the dealer using the casting numbers, part numbers cast into the manifold and vehicle vin. This research started when I needed to replaced the cat Y pipe assembly and the replacement part would not fit.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:43 PM
I am pulling out my 5.4 in my 03 F150and have bought a 5.4 from a 04 F250 I have to change the oil pans across was what I was told. The thing is the oil filter is block mounted on the 03 that I am pulling out, and the 04 5.4 is on a long aluminum tube that relocates the oil filter to the back of the engine and has two fitting for lines to attach to the tube and I don't know what lines would hook up to

Old 10-04-2012, 08:05 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Just swap the 03 oilfilter adapter over to the 04 and call it a day. They are the same( interchangable) where they bolt up to the block.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:52 AM
Originally Posted by DYNOTECH
Just swap the 03 oilfilter adapter over to the 04 and call it a day. They are the same( interchangable) where they bolt up to the block.
OK thanks. The motor is out today

Quick Reply: Oil Leak at Filter housing