Is replacing Sparks and Wires hard?

Old 06-22-2010, 05:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is replacing Sparks and Wires hard?

Just as a question. I was quoted $1000 to replace the spark plugs and the wiring on my 1998 F150 4.6 V8(apparantly the spark plugs and wires are original(factory) and are fairly worn out). I found an article (http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/i...ter_F150s.html) that shows how to replace them, and it doesn't seem to hard.

Also, where would I be able to find the spark plug wirings? Is it possible to get all of these at an Auto Zone or variant store?

Also if any of this is odd, I have never looked under the plastic covering on my truck, and I currently don't have the truck with me until tomorrow morning.

Thank you for any help on this,
Tyler

Old 06-22-2010, 06:00 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
No , it's not hard.

Old 06-22-2010, 06:52 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
correction, its not hard if you have any mechanical know how-if you havent ever looked under a hood then dont do it

Old 06-22-2010, 08:03 PM
Alright excellent. I have a funny question.

Will i need to order the wiring for the spark plugs online or can I get them in an auto parts store. Or will I really need to replace them? As my truck has 195,000 and the spark plugs are super worn and the wiring is apparently original.

Thanks so much.
Tyler

Old 06-22-2010, 08:03 PM

Just replace one wire at a time, -common sense really. One wire at a time and you can't mess up. Here's how your set up -

Front of truck facing down.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by m4rx
Alright excellent. I have a funny question.

Will i need to order the wiring for the spark plugs online or can I get them in an auto parts store. Or will I really need to replace them? As my truck has 195,000 and the spark plugs are super worn and the wiring is apparently original.

Thanks so much.
Tyler
Get a Motorcraft set only. Try Rock auto online. It's you best bet as far online parts IMO.

Unless you can find a Motorcraft wire set @ Oreily's or Auto zone in your area. You'll have to call around and see who carries them. You could always go with a dealership, but you'll pay their price $$$.

Most important, - purchase Motorcraft only.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:39 PM
Motorcraft FTW. I have always gone Motorcraft, and haven't really thought much about anything else. At least for stock parts ;]

Old 06-22-2010, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by m4rx
Motorcraft FTW. I have always gone Motorcraft, and haven't really thought much about anything else. At least for stock parts ;]
Yea, -it's just that they can be hard to find in some areas. Like PCV valves; it's critical to run just the Motorcraft valves in these things, - others are too restrictive unfortunately. But, it can be difficult to find a supplier that carries them,- unless you go to the dealership.

Good Luck, - you can do this..

Old 06-24-2010, 08:07 AM
Alright here is the lucky day.
Time to replace spark plugs and wiring.

Wish me luck

Old 06-24-2010, 08:14 AM
good luck!

Old 06-24-2010, 10:07 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I dont see were its been said so I'll do it.. Use MOTORCRAFT (or better if there is one)parts No autozone wires. Plugs same deal motorcraft or better (Denso NGK are ok) You can get motorcraft parts at rock auto.com at an over 50% discount from dealer prices..
now I see jbrew did say it ..

Old 06-24-2010, 01:00 PM
Go Motorcraft, I don't replace things on my truck unless its got that name on it, did the same thing for my last Ford as well and it never took a dump on me (except the fuel pump). I bought all of my replacment parts through the dealership and they let me have the plug wires for for I think it was $60.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Changing plugs and wires on this is eminently "do-able," but that doesn't mean it's a piece of cake. In fact, it's a PITA! Biggest problem is that the rear half of the engine is tucked under the cowl on these trucks...to accommodate the steep windshield rake. That means half the plugs on each side are hard to work on. To make matters worse, the plugs on the passenger side slant toward the back of the block; the driver's side toward the front (which makes them easier to get to).

Just be prepared for an afternoon of cursing and bloody knuckles. Make sure you have a socket set with LOTS of extensions and universal knuckles. I would also replace the coil packs on each cylinder bank.

Jim

Old 06-25-2010, 10:25 AM
Originally Posted by jbrew
Just replace one wire at a time, -common sense really. One wire at a time and you can't mess up. Here's how your set up -

Front of truck facing down.
^^^^ What he said. I used a black felt marker to write the cylinder number on the coil packs next to each terminal just in case I become confused. It's easier with oem wires as they are each numbered.
By the way, Summit has oem wire sets for $ 48. They carry MC filters, etc, so you can order a few items for fair prices and pay only a $ 10 service charge.

http://www.summitracing.com/

Last edited by ONELOWF; 06-25-2010 at 10:35 AM.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:16 PM
well I will tell you what that was what I can call an adventure. Not too hard for anyone to do, but is a pain the a** especially cylinder 4 and 8. I kept having to recheck cylinder 4 and finally I thought it was in there, drove, and it popped out. Lucky I turned off the car immediately and promptly fixed it.

Oh and the clamps. Watch out for those clingy little things. I few marks left on my hands made the day just so much more fun.

Just a thought, do the factory wires stretch a little bit, as the brand new Motorcraft ones I had didn't exactly match them all well.

Not too bad, saved a few hundred, and finished in under 2 hours. Yay.

Thanks for all the help

--Tyler

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is replacing Sparks and Wires hard?