Pre-1997 Models

Quad Shocks = Heavy Duty Suspension??

Old 06-20-2010, 03:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quad Shocks = Heavy Duty Suspension??

I would like to ask some advice from the group. This is my first post, but I have done a lot of reading in the past. I have a 1989 4x4 4.9L F-150 5sp with the 3.55 rear axle. It has 121,000 miles and could really use new shocks. My truck has 2 front shocks on each side (4 front shocks total). The guys behind the parts counter are not overly helpful with shock selection.

I have searched RockAuto.com and they reference both Heavy Duty suspension and Quad Shocks for 4WD F-150s. Do all 1989 4WD trucks have quad shocks on the front? How can I be certain which shocks from the various manufacturers will be correct for my truck? I assume that each of the 2 front shocks are different? Is the shock in front of the axle different than the shock behind the axle? Even Motorcraft recommends several different options.

This old truck was my Dad's and he bought it new. It is mine now and I am using it to drive my boys around our land, pull a small trailer and haul things. I hope to keep it for another 20 years.

Any thoughts or guidance on shock selection would be helpful.

Old 06-20-2010, 04:05 PM
Im purty sure that they all came with 4 shocks up front I know the 87 i had and the 88 i have now did/does

Old 06-20-2010, 06:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Quad shocks up front were an option. I would be surprised if more than 5% came with it. I was mainly for those that planned to plow.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:21 PM
I appreciate the comments. I don't know why he chose the Quad shocks as an option. It has hauled a lot of hay and pulled a lot of trailers, but it has never seen a snow plow. I grew up in the mountains of NC and it saw some snow, but it never did any plowing.

I think I know how to select the shocks now. I appreciate your help.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:32 PM
the quad shocks was part of the handling package which included front sway bars. probably part of the heavy duty suspension as well, as there were various packages available before the girly F-150s came about (97+).

Old 06-21-2010, 04:00 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys!! I took my 4 yr old son to the landfill in it today. I heard a brake pad start chirping on the way home. It looks like I will need to postpone the shock upgrade until I get the brake pads replaced. I will pull the wheels tonight and check out the brake pads.

BTW .... I don't know if anyone else has these types of flashbacks, but it was a great moment to be riding in my Dad's old truck and having a conversation with my young son. It really brings back good memories. I have always liked older model F-150s because of my memories of growing-up. This is a great website and I have seen pictures of some well maintained F-150s. Thanks for all the advice!!

Old 06-21-2010, 09:12 PM
FYI, you don't HAVE to replace all 4 shocks. You can just do the rear 2 and be just fine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Quad Shocks = Heavy Duty Suspension??