Pats Theft system

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 01:08 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Pats Theft system

Guys as in my other post ive been having problems with my edge, well today they sent me a stock writer with a stock tune and it still wont start. We did notice that the theft light is blinking very fast. He said it was the pats system not letting the truck start. He told me to turn the key on until it stopped flashing fast then turn the key off and wait 30 seconds and then try to start the truck. Its not working PLEASE HELP GUYS im on my last nerve with this!!!

Old 06-18-2010, 01:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
See if this helps: http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/emerg...ats-reset.html

From time to time, a programmer will trigger the Passive Anti-Theft System (PATS) on an Excursion, Lightning, Mustang, or other PATS equipped vehicles. This is caused by a loss of communication between the PCM and the PATS module which triggers the PATS module to go into "THEFT" mode and disable the PCM for a period of time. Some vehicles are more sensitive than others in regards to what triggers the PATS system with some vehicles triggering it during some sessions and not in others.

In the event that this does occur and the "THEFT" light is flashing, use the following procedure to restore vehicle functionality.
Turn the key to the "ON" position, but do not attempt to start the vehicle.
The "THEFT" light will begin flashing rapidly (twice a second). After about 60 seconds, the "THEFT" light will stop flashing rapidly and begin a sequence of slow flashes (usually 1 blink, followed by 6 blinks).
Turn the key to the "OFF" position and completely remove the key from the ignition and hold at least two feet away from the steering column for 30 seconds.
Insert the key and turn to the "ON" position. Wait for the normal engine checking procedure to take place. The "THEFT" light should no longer be flashing. At this point you should be able to start the vehicle.
If, after completing the above reset procedure, your vehicle still won’t start and the theft light is blinking rapidly, check to ensure that the PCM is not disabled by going to the Diagnostic Menu of your programmer and then checking for any DTCs.

If the PCM is not disabled, it should respond with a P1260 DTC (Theft Detected / Vehicle Immobilized) along with any other possible DTCs that may be stored. If this is the case, turn the key to the "OFF" position and remove the ground (-) battery cable (from both batteries if your vehicle is equipped with two) for a period of ONE HOUR to allow the theft codes to clear. Re-attach the cables and attempt to start the vehicle.

If the PCM is disabled and the programmer is not able to ready any DTCs or other data from the PCM, you may try restoring the vehicle back to the original stock calibration. If this still doesn't work, you'll need to contact your programmer vendor for further assistance in troubleshooting the reason for the no-start.

Old 06-18-2010, 01:56 PM
Originally Posted by shotgunz
Ive done everything except for removing the - for a hour i just unhooked and really hope this fixes it! Thanks Again

Old 06-18-2010, 01:59 PM
You could also try calling your Ford dealer and asking them the steps for the PATS reset, but I think Bill's is pretty complete.

If it doesn't work, then you may have to get the truck reflashed.

Old 06-18-2010, 02:10 PM
Originally Posted by shotgunz
You could also try calling your Ford dealer and asking them the steps for the PATS reset, but I think Bill's is pretty complete.

If it doesn't work, then you may have to get the truck reflashed.
I called the ford dealership for a re flash and he tried telling me that all programmers when they go out take the pcm with them and it would be 1200 bucks for a new pcm. He basically told me not to waste there time with a reflash! Crooked SOB's

Old 06-18-2010, 02:18 PM
Originally Posted by KingRanchCoy
I called the ford dealership for a re flash and he tried telling me that all programmers when they go out take the pcm with them and it would be 1200 bucks for a new pcm. He basically told me not to waste there time with a reflash! Crooked SOB's
Yep - either that or he just didn't want your business.

Old 06-18-2010, 03:03 PM
well just hooked the negitive back up and still no start. The theft light stays on when i turn the ignition on then when i turn it off and turn it back on it starts flashing fast again

Old 06-18-2010, 05:09 PM
Shes on the tow truck and headed to the ford dealership. I tried everything possible and still no worky. Not sure if its edges fault or not all i know is the truck was running fine until they had me mess with it.

Old 06-18-2010, 05:45 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
The problem came when you tried to reflash it with a faulty cable. You've probably simply got a corrupt program loaded.

And, if you tried to start it a lot with no luck, it's possible your battery was low to boot. This can also lead to a faulty program load.

Did the stock writer seem to function without error? I'm actually surprised that this didn't recover the PCM, but perhaps the battery was too low by then.

I really think Ford can reflash your PCM to fix things.

- Jack

Old 06-18-2010, 07:44 PM
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
The problem came when you tried to reflash it with a faulty cable. You've probably simply got a corrupt program loaded.

And, if you tried to start it a lot with no luck, it's possible your battery was low to boot. This can also lead to a faulty program load.

Did the stock writer seem to function without error? I'm actually surprised that this didn't recover the PCM, but perhaps the battery was too low by then.

I really think Ford can reflash your PCM to fix things.

- Jack
Jack, thats why i am so pissed right now. When all this started i told edge i had a cable problem and he told me to go ahead and set it to stock. I asked him why not just send me a new cable and he told me that if he sent a new cable and i plugged it into the edge it would fry the edge, so he was going to send me a new evo with a new cord but told me the truck had to be at stocl for the new evo to work.

The stock writer seemed to do everything like it was suppose to, went all the way to 100 percent then told me to turn the key off and then back on the it said programming complete turn key off and remove edge. When i did it thats when the theft light started flashing fast. The battery was getting weak form cranking it over the last 2 days so i swapped it out with a good battery out of the work van and tried to reprogram it with the stock writer and it did the same thing

Old 06-18-2010, 09:28 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
OK, I can certainly understand your frustration. This looks almost like a case of "Catch 22". (Your truck won't start unless you're at Level 0, but to get to a functioning Level 0, you have to have an operational truck.)

I honestly think the PCM CAN be recovered though. Sorry you're going though so much heartache. Most of us never have a single problem.

Possibly, you ARE at stock, but now the PATS is activated and they'll have to override that. I know Bill Cohron at PHP CAN write a file that will override the PATS system, but I don't know about restoring it. (And, I'd certainly want it active.)

I've got no solutions, and it's too late anyway. Don't give up on Edge. I think they WILL do all in their power to make this right for you.

Keep us in the loop.

- Jack

Old 06-21-2010, 02:24 PM
Well the truck went into ford friday about 330 and as of 1 today (monday) they still havent gotten to the truck, the service guy told me that this fell under the electrical category so there is a longer wait for my truck too get in the shop. The last resort according to edge is if ford wont or cant fix it i have to send edge my pcm to see if they can do anything with it. So just playing the waiting game right now

Old 06-21-2010, 03:53 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did they try writing a tune with the PATs turned off?

That usually does the trick in these types of situations...

Old 06-21-2010, 04:03 PM
Originally Posted by DiabloMike
Did they try writing a tune with the PATs turned off?

That usually does the trick in these types of situations...
im assuming you are asking about edge, i dont think so because he kept telling me to leave the key on until the light stops blinking rapidly, so that tells me they did not.i would leave the key on for about a min then it would slow down and would turn the key off for about 30 seconds and when i turned the key back on the theft light stayed on and as soon as i tried to start the truck it started blinking very fast again

Last edited by KingRanchCoy; 06-21-2010 at 04:06 PM.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:26 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My bad, I thought you had one of those custom tunable Edge/Gryphon deals...

Quick Reply: Pats Theft system