adding R134 for dummies.......pictures????

Old 05-26-2010, 03:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
adding R134 for dummies.......pictures????

OK.....my a/c is not very cold just like eveyone elses. I have a bottle of R134 with the gauge on it but have no idea where to hook it up. Does anyone have a play by play and/or pictures on how to do this? I have a 2004 Screw Lariat and crabby kids when it gets too hot.

Old 05-26-2010, 05:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I personally would take it to a shop. If you dont know what your doing you can damage the system and create a costly repair for something thats fairly minor. Problem with A/C is you need to know what low side and high side pressures are and you need to know what they mean. Just adding 8oz of R134a may not hurt anything, but when you dont know how much is in the system to begin with nor do you know how much you are adding things begin to go down hill.

Basically I would have a mechanic do it. There is alot more to it then just reading a guage and putting freon in. You need experience and have a 'feel' for what is going on.

Old 05-26-2010, 06:02 PM
Your can will only hook up to the low side....I assume it is a one time use can and not a 30# cylinder? Just follow the directions on the can. Turn your A/C on high, hook up the can and let her rip.....Done.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:33 PM
for a 30lb cylinder you need to be MAC certified

Old 05-27-2010, 06:53 AM
You don't need to be certified if you know what you are doing. I've been doing it for quite a few years. I have 30# cylinders of R-12, R-22, and R-134 sitting in my shop. If you have an AC manifold, you can charge an AC system

Old 05-27-2010, 03:57 PM
Originally Posted by Frmboybuck
You don't need to be certified if you know what you are doing. I've been doing it for quite a few years. I have 30# cylinders of R-12, R-22, and R-134 sitting in my shop. If you have an AC manifold, you can charge an AC system
Never said that, but in order to purchase a 30lb bottle you need to be moble air conditioning certified (MAC). Alot of non certified people properly fill their own systems.

Old 05-27-2010, 04:51 PM
Originally Posted by IR0NS1N
Never said that, but in order to purchase a 30lb bottle you need to be moble air conditioning certified (MAC). Alot of non certified people properly fill their own systems.
You do not need a license to buy R-134a.....in any quantity. Someone is yanking your chain

Old 06-01-2010, 09:17 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
You need to be running the system when you hook up the can because the system pressure will be lower. I usually let the connection leak for a couple seconds hopefully to release any air that may be in the hose. Keep the can upright when charging to keep the freon going in as a gas and not a liquid. Liquid could damage your compressor. After starting the charging process, I usually put the can in a container of hot water to speed up the evaporation of the gas.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:21 PM
Originally Posted by Frmboybuck
You do not need a license to buy R-134a.....in any quantity. Someone is yanking your chain
Errr der I had a brain fart, just R12 you do if eviromental people show up. 134a you can buy endlessly. You are correct.

Originally Posted by Roadie
You need to be running the system when you hook up the can because the system pressure will be lower. I usually let the connection leak for a couple seconds hopefully to release any air that may be in the hose. Keep the can upright when charging to keep the freon going in as a gas and not a liquid. Liquid could damage your compressor. After starting the charging process, I usually put the can in a container of hot water to speed up the evaporation of the gas.
Low side hose is whats called a liquid line, and freon becomes a gas again before it ever enters the compressor. There is no reason at all to heat up the container or anything. As long as you filling up from the Low side, liquid is perfectly fine as the accumulator stores liquid refergerent and holds it before it can enter the compressor.

Old 06-11-2010, 01:57 PM
I think it's funny that not one person answered this guys question .He wants to know where the low side port is .

Old 06-13-2010, 10:41 PM
I'll be watching this too. I have been considering adding R134a and would like some pics if anyone hass them

Old 06-14-2010, 10:07 PM
Well, the low side on my truck is at the firewall under some box. It's hard to see. I just checked my pressures with my gauge set since my system was not cooling much and the compressor was cycling a lot. Both low side and hi side pressures were low so I added one can of R134A and it works fine now.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:28 PM
I bought a can of R143A Arctic Freeze. It comes with a gauge and quick connect. I followed the instructions. My ambient temp was 92* so I should have gotten somewhere between 40-50 PSI. The gauge read 35PSI. so I tried to charge the system agitating the can by turning "between 12 o'clock and 3 o'clock every 3 seconds. My charge never got above 35 PSI. I disconnected and re connected the hose to the low side 3 times. and there was no change in PSI. I tested the can to make sure I puntucred the can seal when I screwed the gauge/hose onto the can. I could hear something in the can when I pulled the trigger.

has this happened to anyone? I am afraid to over charge it. but my can was definately lighter when I was done. I estimate i used about 1/2 the 18oz. can. Has anyone had the gauges that come with the cans work?

I did notice that once the quick connection was made it would back off the low side schrader valve 1/8 inch, but when the trigger was pulled there was no leak around the schrader valve. When charging I tried to push down on the quick connectto make sure there was a good connection with no leaks.

Any help or toughts would be appriciated. And if your going to tell me to buy gauges, please tell me where and suggestions for brands. I didn't find them at AutoZone.

Thanks

Old 06-15-2010, 10:38 PM
Put the can in a pot of hot water. The liquid in the can needs heat to evaporate and it has to get it from the air around the can. It takes a while. Putting it in a pot of hot water will provide the heat necessary to evaporate and really speed up the process of adding the can of refrigerant.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:25 PM
That's not really possible. The hose that came with this can was about 8 inches. I was doing good to get the can upright while connected to the valve. There is no way I can put the can in water.

I figured it was hot enough since it was 92 outside and the engine was running and getting hot. It must have been 105 or so under the hood at least.

I guess I will check tyo see if I can get a good set of gauges tomorrow and check. I thought the gauges on the bottle although cheap would at least work.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: adding R134 for dummies.......pictures????