2004 - 2008 F-150

New style 04 F150 Fx4 w/5.4 Fuel pressure/pump issues

Old 06-09-2010, 08:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New style 04 F150 Fx4 w/5.4 Fuel pressure/pump issues

Before you all respond asking about these I figured I'd post em ahead of time!
__________________________________________________ _____________
It has:
-It only does this after driving for about 20min or so it never does this cold

-New fuel filter about 500miles ago wix brand to be exact then replaced it today as well in case it was just a faulty filter with a napa fuel filter

-Rebuilt fuel injectors from rockauto which I just installed a month ago

-I have the edge evo programmer which is what I thought was causing it so I put it back to stock and the issue still continues, but this is how I'm seeing the fuel rail pressure and the code it throws.

-And I had already taken the fuel pump control module off when I saw the post and cleaned it up and painted it a couple months ago, it didn't need it but I figured a little paint won't hurt.
__________________________________________________ _____________

I'm having issues where after long periods of driving my truck will start surging at around 3000 to 3500 rpm and I notice a fuel pressure drop and of course the code p0191 I believe which is fuel rail pressure sensor performance out of range or somethin like that, from the low fuel pressure anyhow.

So obviously I'm assuming I need a new fuel pump right, but it seems like right around that rpm range the fuel pressure just drops rapidly from 40-50 to 4-10psi. And I've placed it in neutral and turned the truck off and turned it back on when it's done this and doing that seems to allow me to accelerate a bit quicker but the issue comes back within seconds.

So I'm wondering could this be an FICM (Fuel Injection Control Module) issue or do they only put those on diesels?
Or could it be a fuel pressure regulator? Which I found is unfortunately on the fuel pump assembly itself.
Or do some fuel pumps just go halfway out and do funky stuff like this?

Thanks for your advice in advance.
I'm dreading the fuel pump change that's why I'm trying to exhaust all other options first.
Also if this is a fuel pump issue what is a reliable replacement?
Something stock? or is there a good performance pump that won't empty my wallet?
Cause I've seen some posts of people replacing their fuel pumps multiple times.

Old 06-11-2010, 06:53 PM
my fuel pump died, had truck towed to dealer, $700 later new pump... they took the bed of the truck off to replace it...

Old 06-11-2010, 09:13 PM
i wonder if it could be the fp driver module. it's mouted under the truck above the spare tire and is known for craking open and causing problems. take a look at it and see if it's cracked open.

Old 06-16-2010, 03:54 AM
nope not the driver module cause I took it off and painted it even though it wasn't that corroded. And they took the bed off to replace the pump? I thought all you had to do was drop the tank... Taking the bed off would turn it from a one man job to a two. Oh well I changed the fuel filter again just in case it was a bad fuel filter so we'll see tomorrow when I drive another 500miles. It didn't do it this last small trip of 15miles so I'm gonna pray at least haha

Old 11-07-2010, 02:57 PM
05 FX4, new fuel filter, I had the same problem over 3000 rpm under load or passing, no codes so I changed the fuel filter and it seemed better. Started up again after 4 months, coded today p0191, as long as I keep accelleration lighter especialy over 3000 rpm runs fine. I will ckeck the fpd but suspect the fuel pump is getting weak. Buddies 08 was actting the same last week, at 50 mph-high rpm to start then became worse and finaly coded, p0306 as I recall. Changed number 6 cop and his problem went away, seems I won't be so lucky.

Old 11-07-2010, 08:46 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Could be the strainer on the inlet side of the pump is clogged up and restricting flow at higher demand.

BTW the napa filters are made by wix, and wix filters are considered to be the best there is.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New style 04 F150 Fx4 w/5.4 Fuel pressure/pump issues