Shopping for parts to do a complete brake job (front & rear)

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 02:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shopping for parts to do a complete brake job (front & rear)

Hi everybody !
I'm currently shopping for parts to do a complete brake job (front + rear + parking brake) on my 2006 4WD 5.4L F150. I think i'll go mostly with Wagner brand. Prices and parts numbers are from RockAuto.com (except for the OEM Ford parts)

Here's my shopping list:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
2 X WAGNER Part # BD126110 {Rear Brake Rotor} $58.79
2 X WAGNER Part # BD126111 {Front Brake Rotor} $74.79

1 X WAGNER Part # QC1083 {ThermoQuiet} Front; Optional Ceramic Replacement $37.99
1 X WAGNER Part # QC1012 {ThermoQuiet} Rear; Optional Ceramic Replacement $35.79
1 X WAGNER Part # SG1012Q {Brake Pad Installation Kit} Rear; $11.67
1 X WAGNER Part # SG1083Q {Brake Pad Installation Kit} Front; $8.28

? X WAGNER Part # PAB752 {ThermoQuiet} Rear; OE Replacement Parking Brake Shoe $36.79
? X WAGNER Part # H7224 {#F139705} Rear; Parking Brake Hardware Kit $16.66

1 X FORD OEM 6L3Z-2A637-AR {Parking Brake Adjusting lever} Right $22.00
1 X FORD OEM 6L3Z-2A637-AL {Parking Brake Adjusting lever} Left $22.00
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, my questions are:

1 - Concerning the Wagner "Brake Pad Installation Kits", are thoses kits absolutly needed & what's included in them ?

2 - For the Wagner Parking brake shoe & Parking Brake Hardware Kit, anyone know if buying 1 set of each of thoses is for both sides or only for one side ?

3 - Do i need anything else or do i forgot something ?

Thanks in advance !

Last edited by frankyflo; 06-05-2010 at 03:01 PM.
Old 06-05-2010, 03:13 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Just curious, why are you replacing everything? The parking brake normally does not need replacing and no, none of the installation kits are necessary. I have replaced my brakes several times and never seen an installation kit. I would replace rotors only if badly worn or if they were warpped. Also, I would go with the TQ semi-metallic over the ceramic. Great pads.

Old 06-05-2010, 03:21 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Go with the semi-metallics, not ceramics, and go with slotted rotors. No brake kits, just need WD-40, 6" C-clamp, and 13mm, and 10mm sockets.

Old 06-05-2010, 03:29 PM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
Just curious, why are you replacing everything? The parking brake normally does not need replacing and no, none of the installation kits are necessary. I have replaced my brakes several times and never seen an installation kit. I would replace rotors only if badly worn or if they were warpped. Also, I would go with the TQ semi-metallic over the ceramic. Great pads.
My parking brakes are seized up because of rust (the lever) . I prefer to replace them instead of just cleaning them to remove the rust.
My rotors needs to be replaced & i don't want to get them turned. (bad past experiences)

Old 06-05-2010, 03:33 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by frankyflo
My parking brakes are seized up because of rust (the lever) . I prefer to replace them instead of just cleaning them to remove the rust.
My rotors needs to be replaced & i don't want to get them turned. (bad past experiences)
Got it. I'm not big on turning either. I usually just clean mine as they are most always in good shape. Also, I thought the parking brake is only on one side, but others will know for sure.

Old 06-05-2010, 03:37 PM
Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
Go with the semi-metallics, not ceramics, and go with slotted rotors. No brake kits, just need WD-40, 6" C-clamp, and 13mm, and 10mm sockets.
Is there a lot of break dust with the Semi-Metallics pads compare to the ceramics ones ?

Old 06-05-2010, 04:21 PM
Global Moderator &

Is there a lot of break dust with the Semi-Metallics pads compare to the ceramics ones ?
Virtually none. Mine get dirty from road dust after awhile but no brake dust. I put thim on at 11,000 miles to eliminate the dust from the factory pads. Put 80,000 on them and went with the same pads again. I rhink I could have gotten 100,000 out of them, there was still a lot of pad left.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:40 AM
All sounds good, except I don't get the need for $44 in parking brake adjusting levers. These you can remove, stick in a vise and separate, then clean the rust off and antiseize between before reinstalling. The parking brake pads yes unfortunetely probably are shot and cracked, why not replace. Instead of the levers, get the parking brake install kit from Ford, which is clips and springs etc, which is under $20 for both sides!

PS, I too am weary about turning anymore considering any rotor is Chinese made and has a hard time lasting through one set of pads let alone 2 or 3.

Also, just seen you got the harware kit there too, cool, but forget the levers, just clean and antiseize.

Last edited by BLUE20004X4; 06-06-2010 at 09:45 AM.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:31 AM
Thanks for sharing. Everyone's opinion is much appreciated.
Anyone have any clues for question #2 ?

Thanks

Old 06-08-2010, 01:49 AM
...Anyone have any clues for question #2 ?

Thanks
Nobody know if they sell parking brakes shoes as 1 set for both sides ?
Or will i have to buy 2 sets (one for each side) ?

Old 06-08-2010, 09:12 PM
I bet the place selling them could answer that for you.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:31 AM
Rockauto.com just answered my question:
The Wagner Parking Brake Shoe (Part # PAB752) comes as a set of 2 shoes which will equip only one side, so you will need to order 2 sets to equip both sides.

Thank you,

Dan
RockAuto Customer Service

Old 07-02-2010, 10:57 AM
Angry

Finally ordered thoses parts from RockAuto:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 X WAGNER Part # QC1083 {ThermoQuiet} Front; Optional Ceramic Replacement $37.99
1 X WAGNER Part # QC1012 {ThermoQuiet} Rear; Optional Ceramic Replacement $35.79

2 X WAGNER Part # PAB752 {ThermoQuiet} Rear; OE Replacement Parking Brake Shoe $36.79
1 X DORMAN Part # HW7303 Parking Brake Hardware Kit $17.23

But when i received my order this morning... i was very disappointed.

They sent me the wrong set of front pads (ordered ceramics QC1083 and received semi-metallics MX1083)

I discovered that parking brake shoes were packed as a set of 4 shoes (to do both sides). That guy from rockauto customer service that i'ved spoke to was completly wrong. So i've ordered one set for nothing.

I'm waiting for a reply from them.

From now on, remember if you're planning to replace your parking brake shoes...
WAGNER Part # PAB752 {ThermoQuiet} Rear; OE Replacement Parking Brake Shoe $36.79
...come as a set of 4 brake shoes. Only one set is needed to do both sides.

Old 07-13-2010, 11:29 PM
Thumbs up

A little update:

Well everything's has been resolved.

Meriem from RockAuto customer service has set up a return for the wrong pads and the extra set of parking brake shoes. They will refund me the cost of the shipping for the returned items and the cost of the parking brakes shoes. By the time, i've already received the right brake pads.

I did my front & rear brakes + my parking brake shoes today. Front was really easy. Rear was a bit more difficult because of the seized rotors. Had to use a crowbar and hammer to finally pop those rotors off. Parking brakes shoes were really easy to replace. I've put a good amount of anti-seize grease over there on the mechanism (adjusting lever) and now they work like a charm (they were previously seized). I'll have to adjust the PB tension tomorrow by turning the star wheel counterclockwise because when i'm engaging the parking brake, truck can still move on neutral or on a slight hill. No big deal but, it will need to get fixed.

It was my first time doing a brake job. I was assisted by my stepfather (he has lot of experience as he do almost everything by himself on his car). The only things i knew, i learned them by reading threads over here on F150online.com --- Thanks to everybody over here for sharing your knowledge. It was a very instructive experience.

To resume here's the part i've used to complete this brake job:

1 X WAGNER Part # PAB752 {ThermoQuiet} Rear; OE Replacement Parking Brake Shoe $36.79
1 X DORMAN Part # HW7303 Parking Brake Hardware Kit $17.23
Total cost: 394.96 + tax & shipping

(hope you guys won't judge me too severely if my writting is not perfect, i'm french-canadian and english isn't my maternal language.) :o

Last edited by frankyflo; 07-13-2010 at 11:37 PM.
Old 08-22-2010, 12:16 PM
Logged on to try and find the Ceramic rear pad number today as I'm in need.

Your post was very detailed and informative.

No worries about your english either! Its a forum, I love reading experiences from other places! Good work on the thread, glad your brake job went well!

Quick Reply: Shopping for parts to do a complete brake job (front & rear)