Sticking Front Brakes

Old 05-25-2010, 12:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sticking Front Brakes

So I got my plugs swapped a few weeks ago now another problem comes up. The front brakes are sticking, dragging whatever you want to call it. I can occasionally smell cooking metal and the rims/brakes feel very hot after driving. It doesn't do it all the time though. Any guesses as to why?

Old 05-25-2010, 03:11 PM
It was about 4 years before I had a front wheel caliper with problems on my 2001. Seems the factory failed to insert lube into the caliper pins. Pins froze solid resulting in pad/rotor/caliper rebuilding way too early in the cycle of ownership.

Oh well. Still love my pickup.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:17 PM
ok guys i have a question, i have a 98 f150 and the right front brake is dragging, just like vigs07r. i have just got done replacing everything caliper, pads, rotor, and just took it for a test drive, and it is still dragging. when i took the old caliper off i had to open the bleeder and use a c clamp to remove it. the only thing i can think is a brake line is partly clogged? if anyone has any idea what could be causing this, please let us know. thank you, jim

Old 05-25-2010, 07:31 PM
Originally Posted by Vigs07R
So I got my plugs swapped a few weeks ago now another problem comes up. The front brakes are sticking, dragging whatever you want to call it. I can occasionally smell cooking metal and the rims/brakes feel very hot after driving. It doesn't do it all the time though. Any guesses as to why?
O and I forgot to add that it only is happening on the drivers side

Old 05-26-2010, 09:22 AM
:I had a similar problem. With not having any lube either my calipers where getting stuck when the were braking, then over heating and bulging. So they would not retract. I went ahead and replaced them and the rotors and so far no issues.

Old 05-26-2010, 04:03 PM
Now today driving to class I had no issues.

Old 05-27-2010, 05:30 PM
Originally Posted by indiana_jones
ok guys i have a question, i have a 98 f150 and the right front brake is dragging, just like vigs07r. i have just got done replacing everything caliper, pads, rotor, and just took it for a test drive, and it is still dragging. when i took the old caliper off i had to open the bleeder and use a c clamp to remove it. the only thing i can think is a brake line is partly clogged? if anyone has any idea what could be causing this, please let us know. thank you, jim
I'm having the same problem on my drivers side right tire. I have replaced the calipers and the master and lubed everything. I think I have narrowed it down to the T that splits the line off to the two front tires. If it has a bad blockage you should be able to tell by how hard you have to press the pedal to bleed the fronts and how much flow you get from the bleeder.

Old 06-06-2010, 12:00 AM
So I took it into the dealer I work at today because it seems to be happening more often. They just ordered me new rotors and calipers. Hopefully it fixes the problem!

Old 06-06-2010, 02:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by indiana_jones
I've seen pictures posted, I think by jbrew, where the connector that bolts to the caliper gets corrosion inside. He said that older models like ours needs to have replacement lines, and that you can buy braided steel ones. I haven't had the problem yet. But when I do, that is the advice I'm going with

Old 06-07-2010, 09:28 AM
I replaced the two rubber lines and it fixed me right up. I would try this as it was easy to do and very inexpensive.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:21 AM
So I got new front rotors, calipers, and pads under warranty!! Drove it home and it drove great. I will have to watch and see if that fixes the problem...I don't see why not

Old 06-21-2010, 09:01 AM
I'm having this problem too. I just recently had the brakes replaced. I know there was a TSB regarding a sticky parking brake, and I had that work done as well, but now it seems to be only my left front that is sticking. This morning it was really bad. I got to work and opened the door and smelled the all too familiar brake burning smell.

Let me know if the fix worked.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:48 AM
Replacing the rubber hose coming from the brake line to the caliper will fix the problem for you. I just did that with mine and it works great now. It's a very simple job. The hardest part is having the parts guy get you the correct part.

Old hose and line
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w...rock12/007.jpg

New hose and line
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w...ck12/008-2.jpg

Old 06-23-2010, 07:45 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
When you guys are replacing your pads and rotors (or just pads) Are you cleaning and re lubricating the bolts and or slide pins? This is key. They have to be cleaned up and redone, also run some clean brake fluid through the lines. this will help with moisture build up in the system.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:28 PM
Originally Posted by kshamrock12
Replacing the rubber hose coming from the brake line to the caliper will fix the problem for you. I just did that with mine and it works great now. It's a very simple job. The hardest part is having the parts guy get you the correct part.

Old hose and line
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w...rock12/007.jpg

New hose and line
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w...ck12/008-2.jpg
Looks like I'm having this problem on all four corners. Monday, when I got home, the back brakes were sticking. Have you experienced this with the back brakes?

Originally Posted by tim98
When you guys are replacing your pads and rotors (or just pads) Are you cleaning and re lubricating the bolts and or slide pins? This is key. They have to be cleaned up and redone, also run some clean brake fluid through the lines. this will help with moisture build up in the system.
The dealership swapped the brakes last time, both front and rear. The parking brake actuators were also replaced. I would hope that the bolts and slides were cleaned and lubed up.

Truck goes back to the dealer on Monday to have this checked... unless I get a bug up my butt and buy an Expedition Saturday.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sticking Front Brakes