2004 - 2008 F-150

Windshield?

Old 04-22-2010, 03:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Windshield?

Is there a company that sells factory windshields with the F-150 logo on them. Mine got cracked yesterday and I want to replace it with the same one.

Old 04-22-2010, 04:10 PM
Cuz
I have the same exact problem. Mine was busted last Mon. Cheapest I've found was at a salvage yard for $165. Then I'd have to pay $80 to get it installed. uuugh

Old 04-22-2010, 04:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Any glass company that changes windshields can get the one with the logo.

Old 04-22-2010, 04:35 PM
Technical Article Contributor

X2. Most if not all of the aftermarket companies have the F150-logo and the glass should also come with a lifetime warranty for defects/leaks.

Old 04-22-2010, 04:52 PM
Awesome, glad to know this, thanks guys

Old 04-22-2010, 06:51 PM

Yes, like others have said it should not be a problem getting it with the F-150 logo.

I have had mine replaced a few times already and every time I call the insurance ( I have free glass replacement) they ask if I want it to have the F-150 logo on it, just have to say yes

Also the company that comes out to do it has been Safelite.

Old 04-22-2010, 07:13 PM
F150 logo?. I don't believe I have ever seen one on a windshield. Anybody have a pic or link to a pic? If it looks good I'll have to get one!!

Old 04-22-2010, 07:19 PM
i had mine replaced a few months ago by safelite auto glass. they did it right in my driveway. i also had they f150 logo so therefore it cost alot more. i went through insurance and used my $250 deductible. the total was over $400. but otherwise im happy with it.

Old 04-22-2010, 07:22 PM
A150 Just do not forget to replace the windshield spacer blocks or you will have water leaking issues into the cab. When the glass tech uses his tool to cut thru the sealant he WILL DAMAGE these. I can tell you first hand that today most glass tech do not replace these. A very big mistake. The problem is you won't know that you have a leak in most cases until possibly years down the line. On the passenger side it will lead to many problems as your wiring harness will be submerged. I lost my power side mirrors, then weeks later my driver power seat and then the power adjustable pedals. All due to the leak from the passenger side windshield spacer block. It was two years prior to that when I had my windshield replaced.

The Ford TSB 4-21-20 addresses this leak issue but their fix recommendation is a joke to say the least.

Good luck and hope this helps.

Old 04-22-2010, 07:27 PM
Originally Posted by SPARKY357
A150 Just do not forget to replace the windshield spacer blocks or you will have water leaking issues into the cab. When the glass tech uses his tool to cut thru the sealant he WILL DAMAGE these. I can tell you first hand that today most glass tech do not replace these. A very big mistake. The problem is you won't know that you have a leak in most cases until possibly years down the line. On the passenger side it will lead to many problems as your wiring harness will be submerged. I lost my power side mirrors, then weeks later my driver power seat and then the power adjustable pedals. All due to the leak from the passenger side windshield spacer block. It was two years prior to that when I had my windshield replaced.

The Ford TSB 4-21-20 addresses this leak issue but their fix recommendation is a joke to say the least.

Good luck and hope this helps.

Yikes!!! I bought my truck used in Feb and it is obvious that the windshield had just been replaced. Is there anyway to test it with a cup or 2 of water and see if I have a leak like you mention without having to wait till I have electrical issues??

Old 04-22-2010, 08:40 PM
In FL windshields are free deductible.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:59 PM
Originally Posted by h2oallyear
F150 logo?. I don't believe I have ever seen one on a windshield. Anybody have a pic or link to a pic? If it looks good I'll have to get one!!
He's talking about this:

Note: Don't knock that mirror off ever. It's a PITA to get back on...

Old 04-22-2010, 09:16 PM
well knock on wood, i havent had a problem with leakage yet. i watched the guy replace my window from start to finish, and i doint recall seeing any spacer blocks. when he put on the sealent tho, he said it was reali hot, over 100 something degrees i believe, and it was a 3/4" bead all around the window frame. and when he cut out the old window, he said it was fairly easy to cut the old sealent too..

Old 04-22-2010, 09:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The F150 logo isn't even visible outside. If I had to replace a windshield, I would save the money and not get the logo, and use the saved cash to get the windshield tinted with a brow.

Old 04-23-2010, 08:33 AM
H2OAY First to find out if you have a leak just remove both thresh hold pieces and see if water is inside the well where your wiring harnesses are laying. The threshold pieces are the pieces you usually step on when you get in the truck. My passenger side was obvious. I could see the water covering my wiring and the insulation under my carpet had acted as a wick and was soaked all the way to my center console. I Then removed both side kick plates. The one that covers your fuse box and the one before the fuse box that attaches to the A-pillar (hinge side of front door). You will need to remove the push fastener and pull your door seal out to make it easier to remove it and put it back in. Not a big deal it will push right back in place.

You will need to remove the wiper cowling pieces. Raise your hood. There is two push fasteners one on each piece located next to the fenders. These two push fasteners go into the windshield spacer blocks. On my truck you must remove the driver side first then unscrew the passenger side and remove it. Trick on removing the cowlings. The forward edge has three parts that must be released by pressing them towards the cab and lifting. Once all three are free you push down on the windshield side and the larger retainers hooks will come loose. You will also have to disconnect your wiper fluid hose. Mine had a connection on the passenger side. At this point you can see the two spacer blocks.

Now disconnect your negative terminal on your battery. Now go back to the passenger side cab and remove the 10mm screw that holds the fuse box in place. You can now move your fuse box away from the side wall just enough to remove the large rubber plug that gives you access to the inside cavity of the A-pillar. I used a small piece of wood 1x2 10" long to keep the fuse box slightly away from the plug hole so I could see better and of course a very good flashlight.

I also removed my tire and removed the fender well skin in order to see if I had any issues with the seams and could watch the water as it came down from the vent area drains. Sometimes these drains get clogged up and cause water to build up and go into your vent intake causing water leaks in the cab.

Now go back outside on the passenger side. Looking into the wiper well area you will see that there is two compartments. The lower one is where your vent intake is located and the top one is where your hood hinge, wiper assembly and spacer blocks are. I did not know where my leak was coming from so I tested from the lowest point first and worked my way up. I used bottles of water in the lower cavity first. About 10 16oz bottles later, my drains were good and no leak. Then moved up to the wiper area. Again using water bottles, my wife poured water in the seams and about 2" above the windshield. As I was looking into the A-pillar in the cab with a flashlight I could see the water running down the wall and puddling in the bottom. WOW!!! I identified the spacer block as the culprit. The spacer block on the passenger side was very loose compared to the one on the drivers side.

So now I knew I had found one problem. Maybe there were more.

I went to FORD and got two new spacer blocks ($10 each). They both have a rubber seal that fits around the stem which goes into a hole to secure them in place. Removing the spacer blocks with the windshield in place could be damaging. I tried with small plastic body pry bars to remove them but just could not. Part of this guy is under the windshield. I went to a local glass tech and asked him about my problem and he told me to cut them even with bottom of the windshield, remove them, trim the new ones just enough to make them fit and silicone them in place. Since the windshield was already seated and sealed they really don't play any part other than securing your cowling using the push fasteners. I use a Multi purpose tool from Harbor Freight and managed to cut them just below the windshield edge with no damage. I removed all the pieces under the windshield and cleaned the area. I put a flash light into the windshield spacer block hole and verified that it did indeed go into the A-pillar cavity.
I trimmed the new spacers and using silicone installed them in.

After 24hrs I continued with the water test. Again from the bottom up. NO LEAKS ANY WHERE!!!

The conclusion is this. Part of the spacer blocks being under the glass will get damaged when the tech goes thru the seal in removing your old glass. It will damage the rubber seal on the spacer block causing this leak. The big plug behind the fuse box is not water tight. As water builds up in the bottom of the A-pillar cavity it leaks out the edges of the plug and runs down into the thresh hold area and over time will fill this area up.

Sorry for being so lengthy on this. Hopefully this will help others.

I will work on getting pictures on my next great adventure.

Last edited by SPARKY357; 04-23-2010 at 09:46 AM. Reason: wrong word

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Windshield?