broken idler pulley mount

Old 10-10-2009, 09:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
broken idler pulley mount

I have a 04 F150 4.6L Something has been squeaking in the engine compartment. Well I found it to be a bad idler pulley. In the process of replacing it the engine mount broke for the pulley. It had some threads left that were still good in the engine. The piece that broke off is the piece that the pulley rests on. Right now I put some washers, spacers, and a longer bolt. It hasn't loosed yet and I drove 3 hours on it and it been fine.
I just don't want this to break suddenly while driving. What kind of fix would a dealer do? The mount is part of the engine block, so they can't just replace something. The whole reason it broke I think was because the tightened the pulley too tight. Is there a better fix?

Thanks!

Old 10-10-2009, 09:59 PM
The boss the pulley mounts to is cast as a part of the timing gear cover. It could be repaired by welding a new boss of the same size to it or by just replacing the cover, this is a fairly labor intensive job though.

Old 10-10-2009, 10:08 PM
around what would a dealer charge for this to be done?

Old 10-11-2009, 04:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A dealer would most likely put a new front cover on. I have no idea what they would charge for the job.
You have to remove everything off the front of the motor and the valve covers.
The part looks like this (I don't think this is the right one for your truck ) but gives you an idea what it looks like.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD-...item518ce98f62

Phil

Old 03-11-2010, 04:47 PM
Not to revive an old thread ----but I have the exact same problem! Had trouble tracking down the squeal and the pulley seemed to feel just fine when I took the belt off. I figured I'd pull it off and see if I could get some grease or oil in it and I happen to notice a goofy looking spot on the block and to my horror there was part of the block/mount on the bolt still! You mean to tell me the genius' at Ford couldn't have used a shouldered bolt instead of relying on a thin piece of cast aluminum and a bolt that doesn't even go that deep into the boss? I couldn't come up with an 8mm bolt with a shoulder that is correct for the pulley ---so I am going to try and have faith in JB Weld and use a longer bolt. I'll probably use a dab of locktite on the threads so I won't overtorque it now that I only have half the threads to bank on! (Probably designed by the same moron who decided to only put about 3 threads in the spark plug hole as well!) Those boys better use thier heads for something besides a hat rack when they design this cr@p!! I couldn't be any more cheezed off!! Matter of fact I might even buy a Chevy!!!!

Old 03-11-2010, 04:55 PM
i agree buy a chevy, you will have no problems. have a nice day

Old 03-11-2010, 05:12 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by bad69cat
Not to revive an old thread ----but I have the exact same problem! Had trouble tracking down the squeal and the pulley seemed to feel just fine when I took the belt off. I figured I'd pull it off and see if I could get some grease or oil in it and I happen to notice a goofy looking spot on the block and to my horror there was part of the block/mount on the bolt still! You mean to tell me the genius' at Ford couldn't have used a shouldered bolt instead of relying on a thin piece of cast aluminum and a bolt that doesn't even go that deep into the boss? I couldn't come up with an 8mm bolt with a shoulder that is correct for the pulley ---so I am going to try and have faith in JB Weld and use a longer bolt. I'll probably use a dab of locktite on the threads so I won't overtorque it now that I only have half the threads to bank on! (Probably designed by the same moron who decided to only put about 3 threads in the spark plug hole as well!) Those boys better use thier heads for something besides a hat rack when they design this cr@p!! I couldn't be any more cheezed off!! Matter of fact I might even buy a Chevy!!!!
And your calling Ford Morons ? . You may want to divert to Moped, -more your speed, but you better get one pedals. Better yet, have someone who knows what there doing work on your vehicles.

Yea, have a good one

Last edited by jbrew; 03-11-2010 at 05:14 PM.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Better yet,,get a Toyota.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: broken idler pulley mount