2009 - 2014 F-150

Platinum Dash Rattle, squeaks, etc.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Platinum Dash Rattle, squeaks, etc.

One beautiful truck, but the noises are driving me nuts, plus some other stuff that I won't get into right now. A rattle/vibration around the passenger side air bag, or the nav unit at low speed, and when its cold is driving me nuts! I took it to dealer, but of course they couldn't replicate the problem. It seems like the dealers can't do anything to a vehicle unless it throws a code, and the computer tells them what to do. What happened to the real mechanics?
Another noise that sounds like the same thing "cometflash" spoke of in another thread is (I think) in the door panel right beside the drivers side door lock. I can press moderately on the door panel in this area, and it quits. If you open any door and bump the edge with the palm of your hand, they all make noise. Not real good quality! Of course the bumpy, vibrating ride on this truck doesn't help anything. I am kind of "venting" my frustrations this morning, but if anyone has any solutions, I sure would like to hear them!! Thanks!

Old 03-01-2010, 12:18 PM
Do you hear the noise on the passenger side when you have someone sitting in the passenger seat? I only ask because my passenger seat vibrates/jiggles really bad when not occupied and can make some noise. This is magnified by the fact that I have headrest DVD monitors that will rattle when the seat is jiggling. Also I've noticed that the buckle on the passenger seat belt can rattle if it's sitting just "wrong" by the pillar...

Old 03-01-2010, 01:21 PM
I've noticed the same thing. Doesn't do it all the time but when it does it aggrevates the hell out of me. It comes from the dash in between the headunit and pass airbag. Mine has done it with or without someone in the pass seat. I look for it every time I hear it but it's kinda hard to find it while driving.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:25 PM
Originally Posted by Mickeymeanie
Do you hear the noise on the passenger side when you have someone sitting in the passenger seat? I only ask because my passenger seat vibrates/jiggles really bad when not occupied and can make some noise. This is magnified by the fact that I have headrest DVD monitors that will rattle when the seat is jiggling. Also I've noticed that the buckle on the passenger seat belt can rattle if it's sitting just "wrong" by the pillar...
YES! everytime someone is sitting in the passenger side captian's chair the damn thing squeeks!!!! super annoying....

Old 03-01-2010, 07:50 PM
Yep. My suggestion to Ford: Stop saying your trucks are quiet. That's it, just don't do it. Unless and until you actually make them quiet.

2004. Quiet Steel, blah blah blah. My 2004 Lariat was a monstrosity of noise.

2009. Platinum. Sound deadened windshield, sound deadening carpet & overhead material, yada yada. How come I have all these random creakys then?

The only F-150 I ever owned that was actually quiet was my 1998 Lariat.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:38 PM
Originally Posted by CometFlash
Yep. My suggestion to Ford: Stop saying your trucks are quiet. That's it, just don't do it. Unless and until you actually make them quiet.

2004. Quiet Steel, blah blah blah. My 2004 Lariat was a monstrosity of noise.

2009. Platinum. Sound deadened windshield, sound deadening carpet & overhead material, yada yada. How come I have all these random creakys then?

The only F-150 I ever owned that was actually quiet was my 1998 Lariat.
My 05 lariat didn't have one rattle or squeak through 35k miles... That is until that woman t-boned me... After that it was a rattle trap that drove me insane.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:07 PM
My KR is whisper quiet. Hope you get the rattes and creaks fixed.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:19 AM
My 05 has no noises either. Some random creaks are normal. It is a truck. If it has rattles behind the dash, that is not normal.

Old 03-02-2010, 01:26 AM
My 09' Lariat is quieter than anything i have ever been in before. Ten times much more enjoyable to drive than my 06'...

Hope you can get the issue resolved!

Old 03-02-2010, 02:13 AM
Originally Posted by BIG_ole_TRUCK
My KR is whisper quiet. Hope you get the rattes and creaks fixed.
X2 with my KR so far. Hope it stays that way! I would keep pestering the dealer until they do fix it though.

Old 03-02-2010, 05:09 AM
Smile

My 06 doors made a creaking noise also. Here's what I did. Get a can of Jig A Loo with the spray straw, if you never heard of it , it is kinda like WD 40. Carefully spray all the way down the door panel where it meets the door. Jig a Loo is not as messy as WD 40. There will be very little excess to wipe up. Then you can push on the door panel to kinda move the Jig A Loo around. This fixed my creaking doors. When hard plastic meets metal there is bound to be some kinda sound. I think the edge of the doors should of had some kind of felt backing on them to avoid rattles. Hope this helps.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:51 AM
Mickymeanie; the rattle is not associated with anyone being in the passenger seat, or the seat belt buckle, although they do rattle too. It is definitely in the dash. It seems like it is getting worse, so maybe we'll be able to locate it soon. The only thing I hate about that is that the dash may have to come out.
Sigshooter; I had exactly the same idea as you about spraying under the door panel with some kind of silicone, or something. I also thought about removing the door panel, and glueing some felt to the underside of it. I've never heard of Jig A Loo. What is the main ingredient in Jig A Loo?
As far as overall quietness goes, the truck does block out all external noises very well. But the inside noises are the ones that aggravate me!

Old 03-02-2010, 03:11 PM
My SuperCrew is very quiet, especially for a truck. It does, however, have a little rattle sometimes by the driver's door lock. Nothing too annoying though. It is much better than my '06 was, which was MUCH better than my '03.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by hamahed
Sigshooter; I had exactly the same idea as you about spraying under the door panel with some kind of silicone, or something. I also thought about removing the door panel, and glueing some felt to the underside of it. I've never heard of Jig A Loo. What is the main ingredient in Jig A Loo?
As far as overall quietness goes, the truck does block out all external noises very well. But the inside noises are the ones that aggravate me!
Hamahed, as a representative of the company, I thought I might shed some light on Jig-A-Loo for you. It's actually a dry, silicone-based lubricant that contains no oil, grease, wax or detergent; it's colorless and will not stain or drip. Jig-A-Loo stops squeaks, un-sticks just about anything, protects against rust and is an exceptional water-repellant.

The one thing I will point out is that it's ideal for wood, metal, MOST plastics, leather and fabric surfaces.

I know you mentioned needing a product to get rid of the squeak in your dash. I would highly recommend testing a small portion of Jig-A-Loo on anything plastic before use. Jig-A-Loo is currently sold at The Home Depot, Advance Auto Parts, Menards, Alice.com, etc. For more information on Jig-A-Loo you can visit our website at www.jigaloo.com.

Old 07-24-2010, 06:11 PM
just dont use this on the dash made my dash peel

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Platinum Dash Rattle, squeaks, etc.