rear brake lights not working on 99 f150

Old 02-28-2010, 11:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rear brake lights not working on 99 f150

well i got a ticket today, my rear brake lights dont come on when i hit the brakes, but my 3rd brake light does. i checked fuses they looked ok, i replaced the bulbs still nothing. can someone tell me what it may be? like anyone familiar with what fuses i could change that are pointed directly at rear brake lights? i checked em but i am afraid they look good to my eyes and still could be the culprit. also are they any relays i might need to change and which ones??? thanks a bunch dont waant another ticket...

Old 03-01-2010, 06:07 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
do your turn signals work?

from what you described i would start at the brake pedal and look at the BOO(brake on/off switch) mouted by the pedal. it sounds as if your switch is not making contact.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:25 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Try tilting the steering wheel column all the way up.

If the CHMSL ( Center High Mount Stop Lamp ) works, the Brake Pedal Position ( BOO ) Switch is working correctly.

Some times the connector for the wiring to the MFS ( MultiFunction Siwtch ) pulls apart. The tilt will some times release the tension, and the connector pins makes contact again, as a quick test.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:51 AM
well i first went outside and turn the truck on the turn sigs did not work, neither the brake lights.. i then tried moving the steering wheel up and down. the brake lights began to work when the wheel was tilted all the way up but then sometimes they didnt.. i hope u fellas might know what to do next, im clueless thanks alot.. oh wheres this Multi Function Switch located

Old 03-01-2010, 12:18 PM

Pull the knee / Anit submarine panel off ( this is the panel at the bottom of the dash, under the steering wheel ).

You are looking for the MFS connector, the wires will route up the steering wheel on one side, and towards the dash on the other side.

This is a 16 pin square connector.

You are going to pull up some slack from the truck side of the connector, and zip tie it to the anti submarine panel support bracket when you are done checking the connector pins.

Release the tab on the connector and pull the connector apart, and check the pins pn both sides for discoloration. If there is discoloration, clean with an eraser or emery cloth.

When you put the connector back together, make sure the connector tab will still hold the connector together. You might need to zip tie the connector together, for it to hold ( plastic warped after being pulled for some time ).

This is what another member did to hold the connector together

Edit : The MFS is the turn signal & High / Low / FTP & washer control lever

Old 03-01-2010, 12:54 PM
Wow thanks for the great instructions and picture, ill hit that up and let you guys know what happens.

Old 03-01-2010, 01:47 PM
well after wiggling that connector brake lights will work for a bit, then they quit the second i drop the tilt wheel downand vice versa, does the bottom knee panel just pull off ? is there any screws or certain way easiest to pull it off? i was pulling a little but i have that retard sorta strength that breaks alot of things like this sometimes...

Old 03-01-2010, 02:42 PM

Screws on the bottom, look at the edge of the panel.

Tabs are holding the top in, so don't get carried away when taking it out.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:35 PM
Mfs

Hey guys I know this is an old post but my brake lights are not working and I replaced the brake stop switch. After reading this I tried raising the tilt on the column and the lights began to work. Then they stoped working with the column up. I located the MFS and tested the the input and output side and the brake light light green wire has power on both sides. Im out of ideas so any help would be greatly appreciated. Its a 99 f150.

Old 12-07-2010, 05:30 PM
I just had this problem with my 2000 F150. On my steering column, the upper and lower panels are held together by 3 screws. Removing these (and the tilt lever), I saw the top wire pulled out of the connector. Pushing it back in didn't work, since the shell locking mechanism would not longer hold the pin. I bought a new connector (comes with wire pigtails), and I carefully removed these with a small jeweler's screwdriver. Clicked the pins into the new shell, and plugged the new connector back in. Works great, now.

Shop manager at my local Ford dealer told me 98% of these problems are due to this connector on the multi-function switch (MFS). He even told me which pin would be the culprit. Turns out most problems are caused by tilting too far, since there's not enough slack in the wire bundle up to the connector. I caused my problem by dropping the steering column onto the front seat when I had the dash out. Went 2 months with no one telling me my brake lights were out.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:09 PM
hate to necro an old thread but the info for replacing the MFS (******-Effing Switch? ) was invaluable thanks so much.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by pcgate
hate to necro an old thread ...<snip>...
No need to apologize, that is why they are saved.
The info was just as useful when the thread was 1st made.

Thank you for posting feedback, it will help the next member with the same symptoms.

Old 09-18-2011, 03:07 PM
Hey Guys,

I do believe in keeping a thread alive for late/new comers like me who search a frustrating problem just to find the exact answers they need here...I tell you, after driving around without brake lights or turn signals for the last 2 months I was determined to get to the root of this issue as I was so frustrated I was ready to rip my nutz off and throw 'em at a wall! Intermittent problems tend to irk me this way.
In all seriousness, thank you for this thread. I was able to go straight to the root of the problem and upon removing the steering column shroud found that the connector had slid forward out of the multifunction switch where it was unable to make a connection of any kind. Additionally, the connector looked relatively new, had little to no dirt on it and slid right back in. However, every time I lowered the tilt steering to my favorite and most comfortable position, it slid out again. Furthermore, I also found the busted plastic connecter harness laying in a pocket under the connector.
I sincerely appreciate that image above. Though I rigged a temporary tie strap remedy that should last a few months in colder weather, the image was a genuine asset to me which led me to the exact location of my issue(s).

So for what its worth guys, Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! If ever I can help you out with anything, I'm a web developer and you can find me here: www.markjmoyer.com

Mark

Old 08-13-2012, 08:50 AM
Great posts. I am having this exact problem with my 99 F-150. Going to try it ASAP.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:23 AM
99 F150 brakes lights not working

I tried the suggested fix to clean the connector pins and make sure the pins are making contact. This was not the problem for me. Does anyone out there know of any possible problems? I was thinking of replacing the light switch on the pedal. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: rear brake lights not working on 99 f150