2009 - 2014 F-150

HomeLink Visor in FX4

Old 02-27-2010, 12:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HomeLink Visor in FX4

I jsut picked up a new FX4 and one option that's not available on this trim that I would actually like to have is the HomeLink visor.

Anyone know if the visor from a lariat will work? I'm assuming it should work fine; provided all the electronics for the system are actually enclosed in the visor itself.

Thanks

Old 02-27-2010, 12:29 AM
I "think" it would work, I can't recall what others have done with the visor (at least the 04-08 guys).

another option we've done (and what I did too in my old 04 FX4) was custom install the homelink in the overhead center console. I bought a homelink visor on ebay (wasn't even from a F150 but another Ford car) and took it apart to get the homelink module out of it. Then you got to cut a hole in your console to mount it. For the power, it was just a single power and ground wire and you can tap into the dome light wires for that. Sorry I don't have pics of mine but you could probably find some others in the 04-08 forum.

I'm not sure if any 09-10 owners tried any of these custom options yet. I'm glad my new Platinum has it so I don't have to mess with it.

Last edited by SteveVFX4; 02-27-2010 at 12:44 AM.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:44 AM
I bought a 2010 HD yesterday and it did not have a home link visor so they ordered a new visor with the home link. Service man said all I need to do is plug the new visor in where the old one was plugged in and everthing should work fine. We will see when I get the visor. I think the visor cost $300 plus.

Old 02-27-2010, 10:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I bought my 2009 F-150, it did not have the Home Link Visor nor the back up camera. I didn't want the rear bumper sensors. So, I ordered the home link visor and installed it myself. The hardest part was making sure I had the correct color visor. Unscrew the 2 screws, unplug the wire for the lighted make-up mirror, and reverse the process to install. If it takes you 2 minutes to do, it was about a minute too long. Very simple installation and very simple programming of the Home Link unit. Hope this helps.

Old 02-27-2010, 11:10 AM
Thanks. Now I know it will work when I get the visor.

Old 02-27-2010, 11:34 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've read that the Homelink module does not need constant 12DC power. If this is the case, I'd wire it to a switched source, so the key has to be in at least the accessory position to work. This would disable the opener for thieves who may try to break a window, and push the button to gain access to the garage (and house). This, of course, assumes the truck is left parked outside at some times.

Andy

Old 02-27-2010, 11:36 AM
Thanks for the info guys. I just found the visors at Tasca Parts for $242.96. Think I may give it a shot. Just gotta wait until the truck gets here so I can be sure that the colors match.

Old 02-27-2010, 11:44 AM
Thats a lot of money to open the garage door.

Old 02-27-2010, 11:47 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenBuck50
Ditto. Holy Cow!
I'd be hunting on car-part.com or eBay.

Andy

Old 02-27-2010, 11:59 AM
Originally Posted by OhioLariat
Ditto. Holy Cow!
I'd be hunting on car-part.com or eBay.

Andy
Yeah, for my old truck which was a GMC I got a upper console off of a GMC Yukon SUV for $40 off of eBay. For this truck it does not look that easy so I will go with the old style handheld remote, but I park outside and usually go in through the front door.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:32 AM
Which Color?

Originally Posted by GreenBuck50
Agreed but in this area it's not uncommon for people to break into your car/truck and steal the remote, then they go drive around and figure out which garage it opens and then grab what they can. I look at it as a security issue as well as a convenience.

Speaking of which I ordered a Silver Ingot 2011 FX4 SCAB w/ LUX + Tow packages a couple weeks ago with Black Leather interior, looking on TASCA I found the part but I'm not sure which color is a match? Should I order Charcoal or Stone? I'm guessing charcoal but wanted to be sure before I spend that kind of money on one... Thanks for any help you can give!

Old 03-09-2011, 10:32 AM
My truck did not come with the Homelink, but my in-law's did. They don't have a garage so we swapped.

As to the color, both my in-laws and I have 2010 with black leather and charcoal carpet yet the visor and top is tan. Go figure.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:44 AM
You can buy the module on ebay for about $20 and add it on. There is a cut-out in the visor already moulded into it. There is enough wire for the vanity lights to run over to the module. You only have to push the wires through the blade connectors on the module to make a connection. When you take the visor off pull the wiring out a bit from the roof and there is a connector in the harness. The visor is two piece (top side and mirror side like a sandwich). It comes apart on the end by prying it at the seam. The fabric is held on by teeth on the inside of the visor where the two pieces meet. I used a stone colored module and it matches my FX4 great. Make sure when you are shopping for a module that you know if you need rolling code or not.

This is the type used in the F150:

This thread may help: http://www.f150forum.com/f38/homelink-48494/

I used this as a guide, it's the same for the F150: http://www.escape-city.com/viewtopic...st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Here are several for $20 to $30: http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=hom....c0.m270.l1313

Also you can remove those airbag stickers on the visor by heating them up and slowly pulling them off.

Last edited by Pig9r; 03-09-2011 at 10:57 AM.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:51 AM
I've read that the Homelink module does not need constant 12DC power. If this is the case, I'd wire it to a switched source, so the key has to be in at least the accessory position to work. This would disable the opener for thieves who may try to break a window, and push the button to gain access to the garage (and house). This, of course, assumes the truck is left parked outside at some times.

Andy
The module I added is powered by the mirror vanity light (not switched). The homelink module must have some sort of security feature that shuts it down after a while because I have to start the truck in order for the module to work if my truck has been sitting outside for any period of time. Unless there is a feature that the truck cuts power to those lights so many minutes after shutting the truck off in case they are left on? Either way it's better than leaving a remote in the truck.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:36 PM

Andy
I've thought about this before - my wife has an Acura TL and the garage door opener works all the time, with or without the key. Her car is in the garage when it's at home, but there are times I have the garage occupied and her car sits outside. I hate that someone could just break her window and have easy access to everything in my garage. Yeah, they could break a window in the house and get in, but I still don't like it.

Originally Posted by Pig9r
The module I added is powered by the mirror vanity light (not switched). The homelink module must have some sort of security feature that shuts it down after a while because I have to start the truck in order for the module to work if my truck has been sitting outside for any period of time. Unless there is a feature that the truck cuts power to those lights so many minutes after shutting the truck off in case they are left on? Either way it's better than leaving a remote in the truck.
That's good to know - worse case, the power wire for the module could be snipped and rerouted to a keyed power source...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HomeLink Visor in FX4