replacing lower control arm, torsion bar and leaky steering gearbox

Old 02-23-2010, 02:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
replacing lower control arm, torsion bar and leaky steering gearbox

First thing, I want to replace the lower control arm and torsion bar on the passenger side. Are there any special tools that might make this job easier? How long will it take to do something like this? I've done upper control arms before.

The other thing is the steerign gearbox. It has a real slow leak where the steering wheel input shaft goes in. Should I just replace the gearbox? I don't want to spend a lot of money if I don't have to. How hard is it to remove the gearbox? Or is it possible to reseal it without removing it?

Old 02-24-2010, 10:28 AM
I am not a mechanic by any means but i believe that in order to replace the torsion bar you are going to need a torsion bar unloading tool. And for don the lower arm you are probably going to need a ball joint press as well. the ball joint tool can be rented from most auto parts stores but when i did my lift i could not find anyone to rent out the torsion bar tool. they are like $100 if you have chose to buy one and do it yourself. i just chose to pay someone else to do it rather than having the hassle and having to buy the tool.

Last edited by lost cause; 02-24-2010 at 10:31 AM.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:13 PM
The lower control arm come with the ball joint so I'm not worried about pressing it in. I may try to find a place that rents out the torsion bar tool. If not, I'll find some other place to do the job. The dealer wants ~$1,100 to do the job including the cost of the parts.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: replacing lower control arm, torsion bar and leaky steering gearbox