New Rigid 8000watt Generator

Old 02-20-2010, 03:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Rigid 8000watt Generator

I am looking at buying a new/used generator from a local guy needing money. Does anyone on here know anything about the Ridgid brand Generators sold at Home Depot. The exact model I am looking at is the 8000watt gen, it has a Subaru engine, it also has the removable control panel on the front. They retail in the store for $1399 but I talked this guy down to $800, he was asking $1100. The generator shows less than 1 hour of time on it, so it is practically brand new. there is some scratches on the back of the case but that is about it. I would use the gen for emergency power to my house, for mainly lights and minor appliances. Any ideas?

Old 02-20-2010, 04:16 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Find out the age of it, and how often it has been run.

If it has not been run in some time, the field on the generator motor could have rust built up on it, and not operate at full output ( or at all ).

This is where most generators become door stops, people buy them, run them once ( and might have a load on it when they run it ) and then let them sit for 3 years, with the same fuel in it.

If it has an auto throttle ( eco throttle ) on it, make sure it has a setting for turning it off. My furnace does not like the auto throttle, it has a bit too much lag in running up the throttle, and causes the furnace to go into an error condition. I have to turn it off, and let the generator run when I am cycling the furnace.
The one you are looking at might have a quicker take up in the auto throttle than my Honda.

I have the small Honda 2000 watt generator, and I run it 4 times a year, each time draining the gas out of it, and running it dry. Make sure when you exercise the generator, you have a large enough load on it.

Think about how you are going to get to the items you are powering.

In my garage I have a surface mounted water proof outlet box that is a separate pipe system. This has an outlet by the furnace, and an outlet in the pantry in the kitchen. Building code calls for a disconnect on the furnace, which is usually a switch. In my area I can also use a cord end and outlet. I changed the switch to an outlet, and put a 12/3 cord end on the furnace. The generator circuit has an outlet by the furnace that I use a short 12/3 cord on to plug into the generator outlet. Also have a cord for the sump pump.
This is the easy route to isolation, without a transfer switch.
The kitchen I just use a 12/3 cord to the refrigerator and table lamps in the house.

Last edited by SSCULLY; 02-20-2010 at 04:22 PM.
Old 02-20-2010, 04:26 PM
The guy said it is less then a year old. It looks brand new except for the scratches on the case. I have a transfer switch already wired in my house for backup power. There is less than an hour on the generator. Any opinions on the Ridgid brand? Thanks for the info SScully

Last edited by Blang; 02-20-2010 at 04:30 PM.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:02 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Never heard anything about Rigid brand specific. I have a Honda myself.

Old 02-21-2010, 12:20 PM
Suspended
I'm a Ridgid owner and lover.

Haven't done me wrong, and they have lifetime warranty on all their products. Just make sure you take the time to register it.

Old 02-21-2010, 04:38 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i have that generator but really havent had to use it. as a matter of fact i started it yesterday and let it run. i have had it 1 year and it always starts quickley. i got mine as an open box item for $999.00
it should work great for my house but you sure dont want ot have to move it around, i think it is around 250#. i really want to convert it to run on gas or natural gas.

i have 4 different generators that i have for my family and i start and run them every 6 months. i keep a little gas in them with fuel stabilizer

Old 02-21-2010, 10:09 PM
I picked up the generator today. The things starts really fast. It moves pretty easily in my opinion, but I am 6'4 and 250. I am pretty impressed with it so far, I only gave 800. I bought from a guy who bought it less than a month ago and now needed the money. Doesn't even have an hour on the gauge yet.

Old 02-22-2010, 01:53 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Mine rolls very good, it is pick it up and putting in the back of a truck where you realize it is not light.
better eat you wheaties if you try and load it when it is full of gas.

great generator, especially for $800. i am impressed with the subaru engine, very smooth

Old 02-24-2010, 10:16 AM
Originally Posted by BROTHERDAVE
Mine rolls very good, it is pick it up and putting in the back of a truck where you realize it is not light.
better eat you wheaties if you try and load it when it is full of gas.

great generator, especially for $800. i am impressed with the subaru engine, very smooth
What do you think about the noise?

Old 02-24-2010, 09:15 PM

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
I'm trying to get my hands on a nice 30kw Cummins-Onan genset..

Old 02-24-2010, 09:44 PM
Location: south western NYS Latitude: 42.34 N, Longitude: 78.46 W
i have a propane generator and would never go back to gas again. With propane you can let it sit and the propane never goes bad, They also start quickly just a turn of the key and run cleaner. Mine is a 8,ooo watt 42 amps electric start onan... great piece of equipment

Old 02-24-2010, 09:53 PM
?

Originally Posted by SSCULLY
Find out the age of it, and how often it has been run.

If it has not been run in some time, the field on the generator motor could have rust built up on it, and not operate at full output ( or at all ).

This is where most generators become door stops, people buy them, run them once ( and might have a load on it when they run it ) and then let them sit for 3 years, with the same fuel in it.

If it has an auto throttle ( eco throttle ) on it, make sure it has a setting for turning it off. My furnace does not like the auto throttle, it has a bit too much lag in running up the throttle, and causes the furnace to go into an error condition. I have to turn it off, and let the generator run when I am cycling the furnace.
The one you are looking at might have a quicker take up in the auto throttle than my Honda.

I have the small Honda 2000 watt generator, and I run it 4 times a year, each time draining the gas out of it, and running it dry. Make sure when you exercise the generator, you have a large enough load on it.

Think about how you are going to get to the items you are powering.

In my garage I have a surface mounted water proof outlet box that is a separate pipe system. This has an outlet by the furnace, and an outlet in the pantry in the kitchen. Building code calls for a disconnect on the furnace, which is usually a switch. In my area I can also use a cord end and outlet. I changed the switch to an outlet, and put a 12/3 cord end on the furnace. The generator circuit has an outlet by the furnace that I use a short 12/3 cord on to plug into the generator outlet. Also have a cord for the sump pump.
This is the easy route to isolation, without a transfer switch.
The kitchen I just use a 12/3 cord to the refrigerator and table lamps in the house.
remeber some furnaces are polarity sensitive

Old 02-24-2010, 09:57 PM

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Originally Posted by buckdropper
i have a propane generator and would never go back to gas again. With propane you can let it sit and the propane never goes bad, They also start quickly just a turn of the key and run cleaner. Mine is a 8,ooo watt 42 amps electric start onan... great piece of equipment
Cool!

The one that I might be getting is a NG genset... I run propane, and I need to get the regulator kit for it to work.

I wanted diesel, but I have a feeling this is way better.

Now I just need to wait...

Old 02-24-2010, 10:33 PM
Location: south western NYS Latitude: 42.34 N, Longitude: 78.46 W
Originally Posted by ManualF150
I'm trying to get my hands on a nice 30kw Cummins-Onan genset..

dude 30,000 watts?? am i missing something here what can you be running that would require that many watts.......

Old 02-24-2010, 10:58 PM
if you do get one and want to power your whole house get a designated panel for it with the proper switch gear so that you can not send power to the street where it is converted through your transformer to 30,000 volts which could kill a lineman down the street...

8000 is a nice size, try it to make sure you get 220 and not just 110.. i had to fix a generator that had that problem do to a bad switch...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Rigid 8000watt Generator