How do you change a fuel filter on F150 2004 New Style.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do you change a fuel filter on F150 2004 New Style.

Can someone help me to figure out how to change a fuel filter on a 2004 F150 New Style Truck with a 5.4 L V8? I bought the part, located the old one, found the power pigtail that I have to unplug, but I have no idea how to get the gas lines off of the filter. In the old days, you'd pry up a clip that would then release the fitting from the filter. The new system doesn't even look like the old.

The Ford dealer wants $70 to change a filter, so I'd rather do it myself. Can someone tell me how to get this apart, and if I need a tool, where can I get it? I asked at the local auto parts place, and he handed me something that said Ford on it, but no one could vouch for how to use it, or even if it was the right one.

Rog

Old 02-04-2010, 12:26 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by rogersmithiii
Can someone help me to figure out how to change a fuel filter on a 2004 F150 New Style Truck with a 5.4 L V8? I bought the part, located the old one, found the power pigtail that I have to unplug, but I have no idea how to get the gas lines off of the filter. In the old days, you'd pry up a clip that would then release the fitting from the filter. The new system doesn't even look like the old.

The Ford dealer wants $70 to change a filter, so I'd rather do it myself. Can someone tell me how to get this apart, and if I need a tool, where can I get it? I asked at the local auto parts place, and he handed me something that said Ford on it, but no one could vouch for how to use it, or even if it was the right one.

Rog
The tools encircle the inlet/outlet of the filter and go into the line. They are the same as airconditioning line tools. Get the plastic ones as they are thinner and work better. Look at the threads on the subject in the Articles and How To section. If you end up not wanting to tackle it, the lube places do it much cheaper than the dealer. You can do it fine, in about 15 minutes, unless one of the clips has corroded and is stuck.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:29 PM
Global Moderator &

Old 02-04-2010, 12:30 PM
Global Moderator &

Here's one, if you have the blue clip and have a problem with it.
https://www.f150online.com/forums/ar...el-filter.html

Old 02-04-2010, 09:37 PM
yep, its not a bad deal, actually just put my new one in yesterday, about 10 minutes start to tools put away..for some reason my 04 had the like 6 inch extension line so i had the blue clips, and then the orange that disconnected with the disconnect tool. ive read about both ways, people having that extension and people not having it..either way its not bad and both those links he posted give good details

Old 02-04-2010, 10:00 PM
The links that bluejay gave will be very helpful and they say a picture paints a thousand words, well check those pics out. The first one will take some time, but then after it will a 10 min fix. Good Luck

Old 02-05-2010, 07:32 AM
Originally Posted by 94yellow50
yep, its not a bad deal, actually just put my new one in yesterday, about 10 minutes start to tools put away..for some reason my 04 had the like 6 inch extension line so i had the blue clips, and then the orange that disconnected with the disconnect tool. ive read about both ways, people having that extension and people not having it..either way its not bad and both those links he posted give good details
10 mins start to finish?? Do you relieve fuel line pressure like manual calls for? I've changed mine once and did the disable fuel pump by bumping the solenoid thing in the passenger side kick panel and waiting for the engine to quit(run out of fuel). Is this not necessary?

Old 02-05-2010, 09:40 AM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by MotoMike
10 mins start to finish?? Do you relieve fuel line pressure like manual calls for? I've changed mine once and did the disable fuel pump by bumping the solenoid thing in the passenger side kick panel and waiting for the engine to quit(run out of fuel). Is this not necessary?
I have never done anything other than just change the filter. Mine will have sat overnight, so that may make a difference, but there has never been any pressure. I keep a rag ready for any gas the runs out of the filter or line, but it is very minimal and not under pressure. It takes me 15 minutes, I'm old and slow, and the foor jack is hard to get to.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:23 AM
I let mine site overnight as well no pressure to deal with that way, first time required a bit more effort but the next changes were easier for me. Watch out for the fuel spilling out, first time it got me in the eye ball, second time I was prepared but it got in my ear as it came pouring out and I turned my head. I think getting it in the ear hole was worse than the eye ball, that stuff burned for a few minutes, had to douche the ear.

Old 02-05-2010, 12:37 PM
glc
Received 754 Likes on 700 Posts
You can always go under the hood with a rag and hit the Schrader valve on the fuel rail to bleed off what pressure is left.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How do you change a fuel filter on F150 2004 New Style.