changing transmission fluid

Old 02-03-2010, 12:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
changing transmission fluid

I have a 2001 f150 screw with 86000 miles on it. I haven't changed the tranny fluid wanted opinions on weather to change or not. I've been told by several people not to change it that it will start slipping. Have any of you had any kind of problems changing fluid with a lot of miles on it.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:36 AM
glc
Received 754 Likes on 700 Posts
Change it. Get a complete fluid replacement, not just a pan drop.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't do it. When it fails 10k later you will regret this move!

Old 02-03-2010, 09:56 PM
Originally Posted by avfrog
Don't do it. When it fails 10k later you will regret this move!
Are you speaking from experience on this?

Old 02-04-2010, 08:49 AM
Dude just change the dam fluid. Not changing it will cause a problem. Drop the pan replace the filter and make sure you get the right filter IE 4x4 and 2x4 are different depths one has a longer pick up tube in the filter and this will kill your tranny if you get the wrong one for sure. Pans are deeper on the 4x4 as well. Don’t neglect the TQ. There is a rubber plug at the dead center bottom of the bell housing. Pull this black rubber plug out have some one on top crank not start the engine until you see the TQ drain plug. The 4x4 4r100 pan holds 7Qt's of ATF and the 10in 4x4 TQ holds another 7qts. "You will see slipping by not changing it FOR SURE" it’s a light hydraulic fluid it needs to be changed on a regularly basis NO BS!!! the whole thing said and done will take the average guy 30 mts max don’t waste time or money taking it to a dealer or a oil lube place as this is what they would do or maybe they would just flush the system by hooking hoses up to the transcooler and replacing what the take out. Screws that do it your self and know it was done right "peace of mind"
If you’re having sloppy shift replace the solenoid shift pack with out delay!!!
When filling it back up with Mercon ATF fill the pan up before starting it then add to it as she’s idling to fill the TQ. Before taking her on the road On level ground shift from park to 1 then back to park then from park to 2 then back to park then to Drive then back to park then to reverse. Then check your fluid again. This is the most accurate way of checking the real and not residual fluid level and is the exact same thing a transmission shop would do!! Trans must be at full operating temp to get a real fluid level check. Sense its hydraulic oil it expands and contracts with heat and cold.

Almost left this out when pulling the filter out MAKE SURE to get the rubber oring out that gos on the steam of the filter. If your transmission filter hasnt been changed in a long while it may be hard and you will need to gentley pull it out with a J hook pick and not a sharp *** screw driver. DO NOT SCARE THE INSIDE OF THE PICK UP BORE WITH A SCREWDRIVER !!!!!!

Last edited by nonwoven29; 02-04-2010 at 08:59 AM.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:02 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by nonwoven29
Dude just change the dam fluid. Not changing it will cause a problem. Drop the pan replace the filter and make sure you get the right filter IE 4x4 and 2x4 are different depths one has a longer pick up tube in the filter and this will kill your tranny if you get the wrong one for sure. Pans are deeper on the 4x4 as well. Don’t neglect the TQ. There is a rubber plug at the dead center bottom of the bell housing. Pull this black rubber plug out have some one on top crank not start the engine until you see the TQ drain plug. The 4x4 4r100 pan holds 7Qt's of ATF and the 10in 4x4 TQ holds another 7qts. "You will see slipping by not changing it FOR SURE" it’s a light hydraulic fluid it needs to be changed on a regularly basis NO BS!!! the whole thing said and done will take the average guy 30 mts max don’t waste time or money taking it to a dealer or a oil lube place as this is what they would do or maybe they would just flush the system by hooking hoses up to the transcooler and replacing what the take out. Screws that do it your self and know it was done right "peace of mind"
If you’re having sloppy shift replace the solenoid shift pack with out delay!!!
When filling it back up with Mercon ATF fill the pan up before starting it then add to it as she’s idling to fill the TQ. Before taking her on the road On level ground shift from park to 1 then back to park then from park to 2 then back to park then to Drive then back to park then to reverse. Then check your fluid again. This is the most accurate way of checking the real and not residual fluid level and is the exact same thing a transmission shop would do!! Trans must be at full operating temp to get a real fluid level check. Sense its hydraulic oil it expands and contracts with heat and cold.

Almost left this out when pulling the filter out MAKE SURE to get the rubber oring out that gos on the steam of the filter. If your transmission filter hasnt been changed in a long while it may be hard and you will need to gentley pull it out with a J hook pick and not a sharp *** screw driver. DO NOT SCARE THE INSIDE OF THE PICK UP BORE WITH A SCREWDRIVER. DRIVER!!!!!!
It a 4R70W on his truck - NOT a 4R100. 4x4's use the same tranny as 4x2's, including the pan volume, and the exact same TQ. Prove me wrong here - I'm listening.

And - how does this procedure ensure ALL the fluid in remaining in the tranny's many hydraulic circuits get replaced? Answer - it DOESN'T. There's a total of ~13 quarts in there - a pan drop and TQ flush doesn't account for all of that.

And the CORRECT Fluid is MERCON V.

OP - just follow GLC's advice & you'll be fine. Do NOT let the fluid go this long again. Do not let them run the flushing chemicals though.

Good luck.

Last edited by MGDfan; 02-04-2010 at 09:06 AM.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:29 AM
So that’s why when you go to a parts house they show 2 different filters for the 4r100 LMFAO different depths I’ve seen them my self .I only made reference to the 4r100 never said thats what he has LOL READ first. So I was off a QT maybe on total capacity so sue me. I was trying to help a guy out. I shouldn’t even be fighting with PC nerds LOL But when in ROME
Originally Posted by MGDfan
It a 4R70W on his truck - NOT a 4R100. 4x4's use the same tranny as 4x2's, including the pan volume, and the exact same TQ. Prove me wrong here - I'm listening.

And - how does this procedure ensure ALL the fluid in remaining in the tranny's many hydraulic circuits get replaced? Answer - it DOESN'T. There's a total of ~13 quarts in there - a pan drop and TQ flush doesn't account for all of that.

And the CORRECT Fluid is MERCON V.

OP - just follow GLC's advice & you'll be fine. Do NOT let the fluid go this long again. Do not let them run the flushing chemicals though.

Good luck.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:42 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by nonwoven29
So that’s why when you go to a parts house they show 2 different filters for the 4r100 LMFAO different depths I’ve seen them my self .I only made reference to the 4r100 never said thats what he has LOL READ first. So I was off a QT maybe on total capacity so sue me. I was trying to help a guy out. I shouldn’t even be fighting with PC nerds LOL But when in ROME
Fighting? Nope. You do not even begin to present a viable challenge.

Just correcting potential harmful misinformation.

Fer'instance... Mercon in a Mercon V application is gonna pecker that tranny. That helps the OP how?

FYI - the TOPIC was a tranny in a 2001 F150 Screw - so offering advice for a 4R100 is kinda pointless, don't you think? That helps the OP how?

Ignoring all the leftover old fluid in the tranny? That helps the OP how?

So - perhaps it is you who needs to read first, then, hopefully, comprehend what it is that yer reading? Waht's next? Offering Chebbie advice on a Ford forum? lol

This ain't Rome, and there are not 'PC nerds' here

Old 02-04-2010, 03:44 PM
glc
Received 754 Likes on 700 Posts
A 2001 may or may not have a TQ drain plug. If it does, you can get close enough to a complete replacement by dropping the pan and pulling the plug. If not, use a fluid exchange machine WITHOUT flush chemicals.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:53 AM
I've decided from the posts on here I'm going to have it changed but no flush. I think the horror stories Ive heard about changing fluid probably came from people that were having trouble before the change and blame on the change. Thanks for the replys.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:00 PM
^ I know a few people personally in which this is not the case. Just my .02, do with it what you shall...

Old 02-05-2010, 11:19 PM
I changed mine when I first got the truck (129,000 miles on it) and have changed it once a year since then. Not sure if it was ever changed before though. I've put about 31,000 miles on since I've had it without one tranny problem. All I do is drain the TQ, change filter and gasket and fill it back up. Never had a flush done to it. When I drop the pan there's very little shavings on the magnet so that has to be a good thing right?

Worst part about the whole thing is the mess it makes unless someone's put a drain plug on the pan.

Old 02-06-2010, 12:26 AM
changing transmission fluid in a high miled transmission will not cause it to fail...in fact it usually helps its performance. Transmission fluid has a "seal swelling" addative that when replenished actually helps piston seals seal better improving shift quality. New fluid will also bring down temps because the viscosity is higher then old worn out fluid.

the funny thing is when people find out that there fluid is dark and smells burnt, then they get a trans flush and when the tranny fails they blame the fluid

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: changing transmission fluid