1997 - 2003 F-150

You can program a PATS key using only one key!

Old 01-28-2010, 10:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can program a PATS key using only one key!

The thought of spending 50-100 dollars to have a key programmed disgusts me, so I did some internet searching and found the following information and the link where I got it from..

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geutFEWm...h_Bulletin.pdf

PROCEDURE WITHOUT A SCAN TOOL
If you do not have a scan tool with PATS
programming capability, then you can use
the following procedure. Just insert the
new key into the lock cylinder and turn the
cylinder to the “Run” position. After you
do this, the “Theft” indicator light will
begin to flash. It will take approximately 15
minutes for the light to stop flashing.
Within 5 minutes after the light has
stopped flashing, Turn the ignition switch
to the “Off” position for one second, and
then back to the “Run” position. After
doing this, the “Theft” indicator light will
begin flashing again for another 15
minutes. When the light stops flashing for
the second time, turn the key to the “Off’
position for one second, and then back to
the “On” position for the third and final
time. The “Theft” light will flash for
another 15 minutes. After the third time,
which will be approximately 45 minutes
from the start of the process, the PATS
control module will have erased any of the
keys that were programmed into its
memory, while programming the new key
that you have just used into its memory.
This key will now start the car. Any
additional keys can now be programmed
using the Spare Key Programming
procedure.

I am somewhat confused, am I to understand that using this procedure will allow me to program a key using only one key, and no longer require the use of two programmed keys to program a third?

Old 01-28-2010, 11:55 PM
Thats what it sounds like to me. Give it a try, and see what happens, then report back.

EDIT: Wait, do you already have one key, and you're trying to program another one. Or, did you lose a key, and you're trying to program the new one?

Last edited by JNC995; 01-28-2010 at 11:57 PM.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:40 AM
Originally Posted by JNC995
Thats what it sounds like to me. Give it a try, and see what happens, then report back.

EDIT: Wait, do you already have one key, and you're trying to program another one. Or, did you lose a key, and you're trying to program the new one?
That's what I'm saying, I already have a key that I'm using so I don't know if I can program several keys this way or just one at a time.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:43 AM
It says at the bottom.."Any
additional keys can now be programmed
using the Spare Key Programming
procedure."..so that leads me to believe that I will only need one key to program additional keys after this procedure, and I can also use my original key that was erased and make that an additional copy as well.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:02 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
No! You can't!

Originally Posted by chiaronate
The thought of spending 50-100 dollars to have a key programmed disgusts me, so I did some internet searching and found the following information and the link where I got it from..

snip

I am somewhat confused, am I to understand that using this procedure will allow me to program a key using only one key, and no longer require the use of two programmed keys to program a third?
You are confused because you didn't read the WHOLE bulletin and didn't refer to the supplied table to see what type of PATS systems is used by the F-series trucks. The excerpt you posted is for the Type "A" system which has never been used in any of Ford's F-series vehicles.

Bottom line: You either need two programmed key to add more or you need a properly equipped dealer of locksmith.

If you have only one PATS key, there is a way to avoid the large expense of getting additional PATS keys. It somewhat compromises security, so you are at a bit increased risk of theft, although no greater than a remote starter that uses a PATS bypass module with a live key inside. If you choose to accept this risk, proceed as follows:

1) Take your existing key somewhere and get at least two generic flat keys cut to the same key cut.
2) Remove the transceiver ring from the ignition cylinder.
3) Position your working PATS key inside the transceiver ring and secure it with plastic cable ties.
4) Secure the ring/key assembly up inside the dash in a spot than makes it difficult to get to easily.
5) Reassemble everything and use the generic keys for everything. The hidden PATS key will satisfy the security system whenever you start the vehicle.

Last edited by projectSHO89; 01-29-2010 at 08:12 AM.
Old 01-29-2010, 02:22 PM
I skimmed over it not paying attention to the chart..apparently I have to spend $50 to program a key. I wouldn't even bother with it, but I'm having an alarm installed soon and it requires an additional key. I have an additional non-programmed key I just got from e-bay and 2 more on the way so that I won't have to deal with having to use a scan tool to program any more keys later.

Old 01-29-2010, 04:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I skimmed over it not paying attention to the chart..apparently I have to spend $50 to program a key. I wouldn't even bother with it, but I'm having an alarm installed soon and it requires an additional key. I have an additional non-programmed key I just got from e-bay and 2 more on the way so that I won't have to deal with having to use a scan tool to program any more keys later.
If you have a hand held tuner for your truck,,I know a guy that can email you a tune that will disable the PATS altogether.

Phil

Old 01-29-2010, 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by phil6608
If you have a hand held tuner for your truck,,I know a guy that can email you a tune that will disable the PATS altogether.

Phil
Well that's something I've never before heard of..I suppose it wouldn't be a big deal since I'm having an alarm system installed anyhow, but I don't have a programmer..I used to have one for the 2000 Mustang GT I used to have.

Old 01-29-2010, 04:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well that's something I've never before heard of..I suppose it wouldn't be a big deal since I'm having an alarm system installed anyhow, but I don't have a programmer..I used to have one for the 2000 Mustang GT I used to have.
Yeah,
I was helping a guy figure out his swap from a V6 to a Lightning engine and trans and he put an Lightning computer in it so it wouldn't start.
I talked with my tuner and and he ended up sending this guy a tune to download off his PC to his SCT tuning device and then he installed the tune in the truck and started right up.
I also had to turn mine off because I'm running a L computer in my truck to operate the trans.
But without the SCT tuner , your probably better off getting your keys programed.

Phil

Old 01-29-2010, 09:59 PM
According to the Wikipedia article, some Expeditions had PATS I or type "A" or what-have-you that only requires one key to program a new one. I was checking over my truck (haven't had a chance to start it yet due to the battery being dead) and noticed that it has one PATS key and one regular key. There's also an aftermarket remote start keyfob in the glovebox... I'm wondering that if a remote starter was installed, the PATS system would have to be disabled? That would explain why there's a regular key to go with it...

Old 01-29-2010, 11:15 PM
I didn't know that either..I had a regular key made for mine and keep it in the gas lid in case I lock myself out.

Old 01-30-2010, 08:15 AM
97-98 Expedition and 98 Navigator used the Type "A" system.

Since this section of the forum is for the F-series, F150s started getting PATS for 99 MY and all used the Type "C" system through 2002, then switched to a Type "E" system through 08. 09 and 10 went back to a Type "C" system.

See the complete chart from Ford at http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdi...ts_job_aid.pdf

Last edited by projectSHO89; 01-30-2010 at 08:21 AM.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:46 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Anyone know of a way to swap clusters (XL cluster to XLT w/ tach cluster), and get PATS to work w/o a tuner or dealer reprogramming?

Old 01-31-2010, 12:44 PM
Originally Posted by fairlaner
Anyone know of a way to swap clusters (XL cluster to XLT w/ tach cluster), and get PATS to work w/o a tuner or dealer reprogramming?
Depends on the year.

Type "C" systems will require PATS system re-programming or PATS delete via tuner, Types "A" and "E" do not use the cluster as part of the PATS system and the anti-theft system would not be affected a cluster swap.

See chart referenced above.

Old 01-31-2010, 03:02 PM
glc
Received 754 Likes on 700 Posts
Originally Posted by chrmar
According to the Wikipedia article, some Expeditions had PATS I or type "A" or what-have-you that only requires one key to program a new one. I was checking over my truck (haven't had a chance to start it yet due to the battery being dead) and noticed that it has one PATS key and one regular key. There's also an aftermarket remote start keyfob in the glovebox... I'm wondering that if a remote starter was installed, the PATS system would have to be disabled? That would explain why there's a regular key to go with it...
I'm guessing that this is the case:

If it came with two PATS keys, one has been lost. The previous owner probably had a regular key cut so he at least had a spare to open the doors. I don't know if the remote starter has the same type of interlock, but I do know that with the truck running, the remote fob for the door locks is disabled. My son in law found that out the hard way on his non-PATS 98 - he went out one very cold morning, started the truck, locked the doors, and took his fob with him, thinking he could just hit the button when he came back out. NOPE! It was a good thing he caught his wife going out the door to take the kids to school, they only had 2 keys between them for the truck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: You can program a PATS key using only one key!