Old 04-13-2015, 06:26 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Possible Power Steering Issues
http://www.f150online.com/forums/oth...ng-issues.html

ISSUE
While turning, the steering gets hard about ½ to 1 turn of the wheel. Many other users are having similar issues and explain their vehicles and exact issues in search of an answer

Read below for the full discussion…
Print Wikipost

Old 01-25-2010, 04:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought an '06 F150 XLT 4x4 last week. Sometimes when cornering (doesn't matter which way), the steering gets hard after about 1/2 to 1 turn of the steering wheel. Also, sometimes the steering doesn't automatically come back to center like other vehicles I have owned. When I bought it, the ball joints were changed. I am driving in 2wd.

This is the first truck I have owned so I don't know if this is normal or not.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:45 PM
I have been having the exact same problem for about a week now. Mine is a
'04 XLT 4x4 w/ 5.4L Any input would be greatly appreciated on this.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:22 AM
Originally Posted by TRLREDY
I have been having the exact same problem for about a week now. Mine is a
'04 XLT 4x4 w/ 5.4L Any input would be greatly appreciated on this.
I have asked around at work where at least 8 out of every 10 trucks in the parking lot are F150's... No one has had the same experience... Not sure what the next step is past bringing it to the mechanic where I know they will find a problem, just not sure it will be the right problem....

Old 01-29-2010, 09:21 AM
Check your powersteering level for one, and second if you slide under the front look at your steering linkage and tie rods and such, see if they are binding or rubbing on the frame or anything else. Also have you noticed any squeeks or whines while turning?

Old 01-30-2010, 01:54 AM
I am having the exact same problem... 2004 5.4 2wd... power steering fluid level is fine, no crazy noises or anything. It is actually getting worse sometimes it feels like i am driving with flat tires. Its weird because halfway through the turn the power steering kicks in and i end up over turning because i have so much pressure on the wheel but then at full turn i have to use two hands to get the wheel back to 12 oclock otherwise the wheel is stuck at full turn

Old 01-31-2010, 08:31 AM
Well, altough I wish we didn't have this problem it is nice to that it is not unique to my truck specifically. I'm gonna try to get mine in to the dealer in the next week or so and I'll post what they say. If any of you guys find out sooner please do the same.

Old 01-31-2010, 05:53 PM
Sounds like a pump or other hydraulic issue. I'd raise the front end off the ground, and with the truck running have someone turn the wheel from side to side, with no pressure between the tires and the ground it should move easily. If it is hard to turn watch for any shaking or jerking of the pump. Then turn the truck off, leave the key switch on and see if it has the same resistance to turning. If it turns easily with no problems while raised off the ground with no power assistance it isn't a problem with the front end components, but is within the hydraulics. Something is restricting the flow of fluid, and that something could be a bypass valve in the pump.

Last edited by Keith_B; 01-31-2010 at 05:55 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:10 PM
Since the issue is intermittent, I have not had success diagnosing the problem. No add noises, and the steering wheel doesn't shutter or anything. I have had it happen after driving hundreds of kms on the highway, everything is fine until I get into town and tighter traffic. Also, driving, everything is fine, stop at a stop sign and when I accelerate from the stop and making a turn, it happens.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:50 PM
Update.. Finally

I finally took the truck in to a garage to have it checked out as it was getting less and less intermittant...

They changed a pressure switch on the high pressure line of the power steering system... So far no issues and I would say that the power steering is better than before (when not having issues...).

Apparently, the local Ford dealer has had to change a number of these in the last while....

Old 03-22-2010, 10:08 PM
Was finally able to get mine into the dealer today. After about 7hrs. in, the shop finally called and said the rack and pinion needed to be replaced.

Old 03-27-2010, 12:59 PM
oh yeah....new pump as well.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:45 PM
Finally got it back today. Had the cam phasers replaced as well. Nice to be back in the truck again. Much better than the compact rental I was given!

Old 06-22-2010, 08:47 AM
IANV, I have the same truck with the same issues. Was the part that was replaced the transducer??? I'm out of warranty and need to repair it myself. It's the inline sensor in the high pressure line, correct? Not in the pump or rack? Thank you.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:57 PM
ianv, I have a 2008 F150 that is having similar issues as you were having. Intermittent lack of steering power especially at a stand still or after driving highway speeds and then slowing down. Did you have any codes coming up? Have you had any more issues or has the pressure switch completely cured your problem? Thanks for your reply.

Old 06-23-2010, 03:57 PM
Power Steering Issues

I did have the issues re-occur.... Hadn't gotten around to updating... Sorry about that...

Here is what went down after the switch was replaced (don't know the exact name of it, but it is in the high pressure line itself as I understand it..)

The problem re-surfaced a few days after, took it back to the dealer where I bought the truck which was not a Ford Dealer by the way. They flushed the entire power steering system and re-filled. Again the problem returned after a day or two of driving.

The dealer that I bought the truck from did not know what else to do so they sent it to the local Ford Dealer. They replaced a part called a mid-shaft I think.... It is a shaft that has two universal joints, one on each end and the shaft also moves in a linear direction, ie. it lengthens and shortens. One universal joint was seized and it no longer lengthened or shortened (seized that way as well). Have not had any problems with my steering since (about a month or so).... If I am not mistaken, it connects the steering column to the rack.

My biggest fear was that they would tell me that the rack and pinion would have to be replaced.... lots of money....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Possible Power Steering Issues