slight hesitation

Old 01-23-2010, 04:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
slight hesitation

I have a 04 supercrew with 5.4 auto, 4x4, 67k. The only mods that I have right now is an Edge programer. When I am just crusing down the road I feel the engine hestating, or misfiring. I ran some injector cleaner this tank of fuel, but have not seen any change. Has anyone ever had this problem or know what I need to look at? Thank You, Rob

Last edited by want2wheel; 01-23-2010 at 04:46 AM.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:33 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
No codes? However if its a low level miss it may not throw a code. In that case I would probably suspect coil/coils or spark plugs.

Old 01-23-2010, 06:40 PM
I have not changed the plugs yet. If I get to that this week I will let you know. Are there any upgrade coils that you guys would recomend? I am not wanting to go broke buying coils though.

Old 01-23-2010, 07:07 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
The OEM coils are far superior to any "performance" COPS I've seen. The best bang for the buck comes from Ebay. Uneek and Global have good COPS for less than $100. for a set of 8. They are also warranted and have been a good supplier to the folks on this site.

I'd suggest going back to the stock tune and see if that cures the issue. Sometimes these programmers have a tendency to advance the timing a little too far and you'll end up with the engine running like the truck is running against the wind. You CAN run too much heat in the pistons causing premature failure of pistons. If the engine starts to knock some, expect to find broken pistons. A good place to inspect for too much heat is at the spark plugs. Pull a couple on each side and if they look good, no problems. If they look blue or the electrode is burnt, you're in trouble.

Old 01-24-2010, 06:18 PM
I put the stock program back in and drove it to work, and I did notice anything. It was raining so it was not a good time to test the theory out. On the drive home in the morning I might be able to tell something. I know that this might be the wrong forum, but is there any way that I can adjust the timing on the edge program? It has only been in tow mode. I have not had the nerve to put it in performance yet.

Old 01-24-2010, 07:24 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by want2wheel
I put the stock program back in and drove it to work, and I did notice anything. It was raining so it was not a good time to test the theory out. On the drive home in the morning I might be able to tell something. I know that this might be the wrong forum, but is there any way that I can adjust the timing on the edge program? It has only been in tow mode. I have not had the nerve to put it in performance yet.
I think you can modify the timing settings or you could use the shift only tune #1 that gives you firmer shifts with the stock engine tune. Part of the benefit of having an edge is its suposed to remove the throttle hesitation the new fly by wire trucks have. Might be your programmer is not programed right. I'd set it back to stock and i'd even disconnect the battery so it reboots cold. Then I'd put in that tow tune and if it gives you a problem i'd call edge and tell them you want the program reflashed.

Old 01-25-2010, 07:07 PM
I had to reflash it when I got it because it was locked when I bought it. It should have a new tune it in. The hesitation has been the biggest difference that I have seen going back to the stock tune.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: slight hesitation