Is cleaning throttle body actually safe?

Old 01-22-2010, 09:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is cleaning throttle body actually safe?

Hey guys, I've got a quick question about how safe throttle body cleaning can be. I own a 1998 f150 with a 4.6L v8 and I've read many things about the throttle body and IAC getting gummed up and needing to be cleaned. I've also read many things about how doing so can mess up your idle and potentially do even more damage.

The gas pedal on my truck has become hard to press at first but then pops free and smooth. I am assuming my throttle body is dirty because I have checked the cable and pedal linkages and all seem to fine. I'm wondering however, if it is a good idea to even bother cleaning it. I don't want to cause any problems or have to deal with re-learning. I know I can easily damage my IAC and I have read simply removing electrical connections to the TB can cause problems. I am completely confident undertaking such a job though if it is in fact a safe thing to do. Thanks for your input guys!

Old 01-22-2010, 09:34 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've cleaned mine twice in the last 2 years. makes the engine run better every time.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:40 PM
if you can get the service from ford i'm sure it is safe.

i have also cleaned mine with noticeable improvement.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:48 PM
Originally Posted by jethat
I've cleaned mine twice in the last 2 years. makes the engine run better every time.
Do you completely remove the TB when you clean it? I guess I'm just worried about messing something up. Did you use a cleaner or just wipe it off with a rag?

Old 01-22-2010, 10:22 PM
Yes I do. Good time to replace the IAC while your at it. Take an hour or 2 if you take your time. there a how to right here
https://www.f150online.com/forums/ar...ttle-body.html

Old 01-23-2010, 04:55 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bjp150
Hey guys, I've got a quick question about how safe throttle body cleaning can be. I own a 1998 f150 with a 4.6L v8 and I've read many things about the throttle body and IAC getting gummed up and needing to be cleaned. I've also read many things about how doing so can mess up your idle and potentially do even more damage.

The gas pedal on my truck has become hard to press at first but then pops free and smooth. I am assuming my throttle body is dirty because I have checked the cable and pedal linkages and all seem to fine. I'm wondering however, if it is a good idea to even bother cleaning it. I don't want to cause any problems or have to deal with re-learning. I know I can easily damage my IAC and I have read simply removing electrical connections to the TB can cause problems. I am completely confident undertaking such a job though if it is in fact a safe thing to do. Thanks for your input guys!
BJP-I was helping a neighbor of my brothers who has a '98 w/4.6 and was having problems with not being able to keep it running (idle). He had replaced the IACV, that didn't work so he went and bought a used TB (which had a different fitting at the back and was dirty as heck). Still no success so my brother asked me if I could help him. The old TB had a bolt that holds the IACV broken off flush (spontaneous break) so I drilled the bolt out and thought I have nothing to lose by cleaning it. I just used carb cleaner and scrubbed it good and cleaned and blew all the holes out good, put it back on and it ran like a champ. I couldn't tell that there was anything in the way of a coating, and if there was, it SURE DIDN"T prevent crap build-up. I would suggest clean the heck out of it, and don't look back. I think the problem with his old one (the one I cleaned) was the passageway that was carboned almost completely closed. I would definitely use compressed air. The sticking of the accelerator is all the gum at where the butterfly sits when it's closed. His stuck too, but was free as a bird when it was clean.

Old 01-23-2010, 05:02 AM
I think the issue comes with cleaning while leaving it on. Don't want chit falling on. My 01 taught me to remember where every dam hose goes. Forget one and you'll think you screwed it to hell. have at it. It ain't bad at all.

Old 01-23-2010, 12:44 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, I guess I will go ahead and clean the TB after reading the other threads. My main concern is screwing up my idle because the truck idles fine right now. It's just the hard to press pedal that is getting on my nerves, but it seems like cleaning it is a simple process.

Old 01-24-2010, 12:19 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It's not recommended. Read these captions:

Old 01-24-2010, 01:07 PM
Originally Posted by Steve83
It's not recommended. Read these captions:

Nothing's recommended on these motors. Hell, injector cleaner isn't even recommended by Ford. It's more of a CYA than anything. I've cleaned my TB twice with no ill effects.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:05 PM
CD1
I cleaned mine last weekend. Very easy to do. Unhook everything, remember what goes where...not reallythat hard given the setup...take the entire throttle body off the top of the motor, spray and scrub til clean (make sure to get all tubes) then reinstall. Mine purs like a kitten now...absolutely smooth idle. It's a shame I'm selling my truck this week...after I got it all cleaned up and running smooth I'm going to miss it.

Have at it.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ive cleaned mine twice..no problems

Old 01-27-2010, 01:45 AM
Are any of you guys removing the throttle plate from the TB? I would like to remove the throttle shaft and plate to be more thorough with my cleaning...

When I cleaned the TB on my 89 Topaz, I disassembled the entire thing, and reinstalled the throttle plate screws with loc-tite.

Old 01-27-2010, 04:02 PM
glc
Received 754 Likes on 700 Posts
I wouldn't, because it may be difficult to get it properly recentered and it may start binding on you.

Old 01-27-2010, 06:53 PM
Ive never removed the throttle body valve either. you can clean it pretty good with it attached. If I were going to remove that anti sludge crap that dont work and polish the thing I would..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is cleaning throttle body actually safe?