Washing my engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 05:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Washing my engine

I know the coil packs hate getting wet (i have figured out first hand) but i take my truck out into the hills alot to go fishing and the mud leaves this red dusty coat that will not wash off. How do i go about cleaning my engine bay without hosing it off. In other words are there any good products i can use?

Old 01-07-2010, 05:50 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I just dont spray the top of the engine when I clean mine. dont do it very often but I have done it a few times. Never had a problem.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:10 PM
I have to say that I must be one lucky SOB, because for the last, well since new in Jan 04, I have power washed my engine bay probably once every two months. Granted not a drenching but a quick back and forth and I have never had any problem with getting things wet, well you know. The bay looks pretty clean for being almost 6 yrs old and having 115,000 miles on it. But now hearing the stories on here, I havent done it at all this winter. So maybe just a quick blow over is ok? Maybe I should just go play the lottery!

Old 01-07-2010, 07:23 PM
i am quoting this directly from my owners manual in reference to engine washing. it can be found on page 243

"engines are more efficient when they are clean because grease and dirt buildup keep the engine warmer than normal. when washing:

- take care when using a power washer to clean the engine. the high pressure fluid could penetrate the sealed parts and cause damage.
- do not spray a hot engine with cold water to avoid cracking the engine block of other engine components.
- spray motorcraft engine shampoo and degreaser on all parts that require cleaning and pressure rinse clean.
-cover highlighted areas to prevent water damage when cleaning the engine ( only parts highlighted are the battery and intake)
- never wash or rinse engine while it is running, water in running engine may cause internal damage"

when i wash my engine compartment i just spray on some simple green, let it soak for a minute and hose it off.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:39 PM
I have washed mine several times using the garden hose and then blasting it with compressed air to get rid of the pooling. I believe if your COP boots are in good condition you shouldn't have any worries.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:30 AM
My son used to work at a car wash with detail bays and they had this steamer machine that would make an engine look fantastic. He used it on his Mustangs several times but I was never able to get it done, although the free truck washes and complete interior cleanings were added bonuses. I sure do like a clean engine compartment though.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:26 AM
After I washed my engine a 2000 F-150 5.4 90k on it, I my cop went right away, last time i do that.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:38 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I used a home pressure washer and just kept the tip about 18" away from anything, so all that came out was a 'mist' as such.... I kept away from the top of the engine and just swept over the sides and I got closer when I was down low and hitting the front of the engine...

Just have to use common sense and kept it in moving around and just don't flood it...

Before:

After:

Mitch

Old 01-08-2010, 06:42 PM
Suspended
Personally I'd avoid washing the engine. It's not like it's something that's shown off like the body and you can only foul it up. But if you want a clean engine and can do it without messing it up, then go for it. My .02

Old 01-08-2010, 07:23 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by countryboy4x4
Personally I'd avoid washing the engine. It's not like it's something that's shown off like the body and you can only foul it up. But if you want a clean engine and can do it without messing it up, then go for it. My .02

Well, I have to admit... I haven't washed mine since that 'AFTER' pic was taken!!

It's kinda dusty and there is some caked on greasy, dirty muck on the lower part of the engine compartment that always occurs over time... It has been about 5 years since those pics were taken!!

It's mostly because I've just been lazy and I still haven't even rubbed out all the scratches I got on the thing when I went 'off road' thru some really tight trails and the Sage Brush was pretty harsh to me and that was a couple of years ago!!

I will probably do it this Spring..... I'll let you know how it goes!

Mitch

Old 01-08-2010, 07:33 PM
Suspended
Sounds good, but who am I to be advising against washing engines when I'm always out in the mud/water getting all the engine compartment saturated? ha

Old 01-10-2010, 12:48 PM
Talking

Originally Posted by MitchF150
I used a home pressure washer and just kept the tip about 18" away from anything, so all that came out was a 'mist' as such.... I kept away from the top of the engine and just swept over the sides and I got closer when I was down low and hitting the front of the engine...

Just have to use common sense and kept it in moving around and just don't flood it...

Before:

After:

Mitch
Your engine compartment looks good! do you spray engine brite or some kind of engine cleaner on it first?

Old 01-10-2010, 01:30 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I fried the coils first time I did it, way back when. It's even cleaner nowadays.

But I haven't power washed it, since the one time I screwed it up. When I did power wash , I removed the battery/covered the coils/ blew out the plug wells when finished and I still fried a few coils. Those were factory originals that were not greased. I also blew out every connector before reconnecting the battery, didn't matter.

Mitch just has some angle following him around

Old 01-10-2010, 05:31 PM
once a yr i warm engine up- full strength simple green it-wash off with garden hose and hot water-NEVER an issue

Old 01-10-2010, 07:23 PM
I've owned my '04 for more than six years and just turned 120k miles. I take pride in keeping it clean. "inside and out"

I spray the engine and compartment down with engine cleaner/degreaser. Then I take the pressure washer to it. Been doing this to all my vehicles forever.

Been lucky with no problems.

Quick Reply: Washing my engine