Popping noise in front end.

Old 10-26-2009, 06:17 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Popping noise in front end.

2004 F150 screw new body. 5.4 2WD.
I have been having a knocking noise in my front end for a while. I brought it in to the local repair shop and they changed the lower ball joints along with upper control arms since the ball joints are not a separate item on top. After they replaced those I still have a knocking in the front end. If I push up and down on the center of the front bumper there is no noise. If I push up and down on either wheel well (making it rock instead of bounce) I hear the noise. I have looked under the front end and do not see any worn bushings. I checked the tie rods and they are not real loose but seem a little looser than I thought they should be. The rubber boots are not broken or showing signs of leaking grease. I just noticed today if I am stopped and turn my wheels from right to left I hear a popping noise in the front end. I can not tell for sure but it sounds like it is coming from the right side. It does not pop if I turn from the left to right while stopped, and I do not hear any popping while driving. Also the knocking only seems to happen at lower speeds, and not necessarily while going over a lot of bumps, for example if I back out off my driveway I hear the knocking.

The noise is driving me crazy and I can't seem to find the source. Any ideas?

Old 10-26-2009, 09:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd guess the tie rod ends or swaybar end links.

Old 10-27-2009, 06:35 AM
Can't help directly, but this one seems to be requiring a two-man diagnosis. One to listen and feel components for the source and one to bounce the suspension.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:55 AM
ZSK
I've had the exact symptoms in the same truck also and cannot pin point it. It almost sounds like the coil spring is shifting side to side slightly in the upper bucket or the upper bushings on the shocks are worn. I'm going to be replacing my front shocks soon and want to get to take it taken care of. Possibly related but the noise seemed to go away for a while after the leveling kit but came back.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:59 AM

When I had to ball joints replaced they had to remove the struts and did not say anything about them or the sockets being bad. I will try to get my neighbor this weekend to help me try to pin point it.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:49 PM
ZSK
Did you find the source?

Old 11-02-2009, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by ZSK
Did you find the source?
No, I was not able to work on it. My neighbor's died and the other neighbor was working all day. It's driving me crazy, just have to find time to check it out.

Old 11-03-2009, 01:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i had the same problem on a 97 f150 4x4, only after my friend put a stethescope on it while i pushed on the truck, did we find it.. it was a loose shock... check them out...

Old 11-03-2009, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by plug
i had the same problem on a 97 f150 4x4, only after my friend put a stethescope on it while i pushed on the truck, did we find it.. it was a loose shock... check them out...
I thought about that, but the shocks were removed and reinstalled when the balljoints were replaced.

Old 11-09-2009, 04:46 PM
I have a similar noise on my 2004 2wd. I narrowed it down to a sway bar link. Because of the ball-and-socket type joint it can be difficult to pinpoint. Typically the socket gets loose and the "ball" bounces inside the socket, causing the noise. leave your wheels on the ground so truck sits normally. Crawl underneath your truck and try prying on the links, or bar by the links to check for any movement. If there is play, you have bad links.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:35 PM
I am having the exact same problem. this post has been really informative tho, im gunna go check all these things and let you guys know what i find out

Old 11-10-2009, 02:02 PM
ok, so i went outside and checked some things out. one thing i did notice tho, i put my hands on my front tires (one at a time of coarse) and rocked the truck side to side by the tires, there was a small clicking noise when i did that. could that mean something? i also realized that i hear the same noise when im moving and the truck is slowly stopping, the second it stops, i hear the noise but not as loud???

Last edited by kaden; 11-10-2009 at 02:06 PM.
Old 11-26-2009, 02:00 PM
I have fallen victim of this issue also. mine comes from the left side for sure! I have replaced the endlink on the left side and it has done nothing. Replaced the upper a arm/ ball joint, nothing, shocks were replaced, again nothing. I havent done the lower ball joint yet. but it is still tight. I will get to it soon though. I noticed though that when I am on the freewat taking a large sweeping turn and hitting little bumps that would NORMALLY make it rattle, that it doesnt when turning. Im kinda at a loss with it.

Old 12-09-2009, 01:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i had the same issue and it was my tie rod ends.

Old 12-09-2009, 03:51 AM

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Popping noise in front end.