what are the downsides of using 4 gauge wire on my amp

Old 01-05-2010, 12:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what are the downsides of using 4 gauge wire on my amp

i just have a 2 channel 560 watt amp for my two kicker 8s and i have some 4 gauge power and ground wires from my last system. would it hurt anything if i rewired my amp with these? and what are the downsides of using wire this big if there is any?
http://www.digitalgiftworld.com/kit-2g.html
I will get this in a heartbeat if it makes my system hit harder i just dont know if the 2 gauge wire is too big. someone let me know if this would hurt anything

Last edited by ridinmudddy; 01-05-2010 at 01:10 AM.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:21 AM
Technical Article Contributor

The only downside of using larger wire is shorts/bursts which can get dangerous fast, so make sure you fuse it properly and you'll have no problems.

The upsides are well worth it. You want your amp to easily be able to draw current, so use the largest wire that your amp's terminal can properly fit (properly means the wire fits in the terminal with no cutting/trimming/twisting, etc). But for a 560 watt amp, 4awg is plenty. 2awg is overkill and will net you nothing until you step up to a larger system with multiple amplifiers.

Last edited by mSaLL150; 01-05-2010 at 01:23 AM.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:38 AM
well i was maybe thinking of running the 2 gauge just in case i found a way to upgrade my subs. i just have a single cab though so i dont know if i will have room to. i mean would it hurt to use the 2 gauge wire u think? ill just have a fuse for it ill have to get metal connectors to hook the wire to the amp

Old 01-05-2010, 04:09 AM
Technical Article Contributor

You shouldn't have a problem with using a larger wire than your amplifier needs. The best thing about it is there's room for an upgrade without rerunning wires all over again. Just make sure that when you fue your wire, you fuse FOR THE WIRE and not the amp. I believe 2awg wire calls for 225A fuse, but I could be wrong.

Old 01-05-2010, 03:47 PM
well in that case ill just go ahead and get the 2 gauge kit. it comes with a 80 amp fuse if i remember right.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: what are the downsides of using 4 gauge wire on my amp