2009 - 2014 F-150

Tailgate with step

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 01:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tailgate with step

I have a 2010 F-150 with the tailgate step, and I just got the bed linex'd yesterday minus the tailgate. While at the shop we took the step handle and black plastic on the tailgate off and noticed that it appears you can remove the handle and bracket and put in the access panel plate that normal tailgates w/o the step have. I am thinking of doning this and then having the tailgate sprayed with linex. I love the step, but hate the handle and plastic bedliner type thing that is on the tailgate. Anyone else thought of doing this???

Old 11-11-2009, 02:03 PM
I thought about it, but now that I have used the step I would not remove it. I have an 09 screw xlt...with 18" tires...I'm only 5'4", so the step is great. I too had my truck bed Line-Xed, but left the tailgate alone...saved a little money on the spray job. You might want to use it for a while before you decide to get rid of it. Just a thought.

Old 11-11-2009, 02:17 PM
I think he was thinking of just removing the handle and plastic liner... not the step.

Old 11-11-2009, 02:37 PM
Ah...that's what I get for speed reading...lol. I did not know you could just remove the handle and plastic cover, but I guess that would be an option that would look good. Again though...he might want to use it for a while to see if he likes it...if not remove it.

Old 11-11-2009, 02:46 PM
Doesn't sound like a bad idea if you are getting the sprayed-on bedliner. The downside is you lose the grab pole. But it's your truck and do it if it pleases you. Post pics when you get it done.

Old 11-11-2009, 03:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I removed both the step and the handle. I now use my wallet as a step. The bills in it are so large, I have no problems stepping up into my truck!!

OK, I like both the step and the handle, although I did take the handle off when I was installing my rear view camera. I put it back on right away too.

Old 11-11-2009, 03:05 PM
Originally Posted by trk35
...I now use my wallet as a step. The bills in it are so large, I have no problems stepping up into my truck!!...
Can you give me that wallet step? Sure could use it.

Old 11-11-2009, 06:44 PM
Talking

Originally Posted by big_ole_truck
can you give me that wallet step? Sure could use it.
Me too! Is that a factory or dealer add-on?

Old 11-11-2009, 07:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I needed the step because after leaving the dealer, my wallet was flat enough to use it as an ice scraper.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:45 PM
Originally Posted by dlsipe1
I needed the step because after leaving the dealer, my wallet was flat enough to use it as an ice scraper.
That's nothing...after leaving the dealer I set my wallet on the hood for just a second and a 5mph breeze blew it away and I still can find it

I suspect CometFlash or Barritia have it but can't get them to fess up!

Old 11-11-2009, 11:22 PM
Originally Posted by dstriguy
I have a 2010 F-150 with the tailgate step, and I just got the bed linex'd yesterday minus the tailgate. While at the shop we took the step handle and black plastic on the tailgate off and noticed that it appears you can remove the handle and bracket and put in the access panel plate that normal tailgates w/o the step have. I am thinking of doning this and then having the tailgate sprayed with linex. I love the step, but hate the handle and plastic bedliner type thing that is on the tailgate. Anyone else thought of doing this???
I feel the same way. I like to sit on my tailgate but with the stripper pole it is uncomfortable. I don't want to give up my step though, I like it, I am just to lazy to flip up the pole so I never use it. Let me know how it works out and what it costs, I might copy you.

Old 11-12-2009, 08:00 AM
I checked with the stealership and the access plate is $61. The screws are almost $4 a piece. Gonna look around for screws somewhere else. Was unable to find an 09 or 10 access plate in a salvage yard though. Gonna keep looking and will post pics when I am done.

Old 11-23-2009, 11:57 PM
UPDATE-Complete

Just completed this today. Did not have time to post any pics, but it worked out great. I was able to get a regular tailgate access panel ($51) and screws(Free), by the way the dealership said that the part number for the access plate crosses from the second have of '08 to current. Also if you are interested, check out a place that installs plastic bedliners for a dealership. They will probably give you the screws as they need different ones for the bedliners.

The only thing you will need to do to get a perfect fit is to trim the raised circles on the tabs that go underneath the new access panel from the trim under the tailgate step. The metal access plate has raised circles that protrude from the bottom of the plate and these conflict with the raised circles on the trim tabs. Again, this is covered so you will never see it. Once installed we linex'd it and it looks perfect.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:18 AM
I have an 08... so don't have the step, but do consider myself fortunate to be able to climb into the bed from the side of the bumper with the gate down and also with the tires on the 17" wheels.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:02 PM
This is going on my mods list - like the step in case I (rarely) need it; hate the pole and lumpy tailgate....

Quick Reply: Tailgate with step