Truck bounces when braking

Old 12-16-2009, 09:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Truck bounces when braking

When i hit my brakes when decelerating from 42mph down to about 35mph my truck just bounces up and down violently and i'm tired of it. I have practically brand new rotors on, got them back in march and they have about 15-20k miles on them, and they are still perfectly straight, no runout at all. I replaced the front brake pads the other week with wagner thermoquiet ceramics, the rear pads are fine, but they do squeak and im thinking about replacing them with some tq's as well. I have no idea what this can be, but when my truck is cold and not warmed up, when i brake from 42-35mph the truck doesn't bounce at all. However when its warmed up and after frequently stopping between those speeds, it bounces regardless. Anyone have any idea what it could be?

I think partial fault may be my shocks, I have been meaning to replace them, but i'm tryin to find some lightning rear bilsteins for a good price.
Thanks in advanced

Old 12-16-2009, 10:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I had to guess I would say it sounds like your shocks are gone. As your shocks warm up they will be more apt to give, due to the oil inside becoming less viscus resulting in less resistance. That would explain your cold vs. warm differences.

Old 12-16-2009, 11:10 PM
once i get some new one's i'll report back and verify if this is the problem, thanks for the info

Old 12-18-2009, 12:14 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Warped rotors on the rear will cause the rear to bounce up and down, due to the grabbing and releasing causing the leaf springs to flex back and forth thereby raising and lowering the rear of the truck. The 2000 truck I used to have did this at 40k and I replaced the rotors with cheap advance rotors. It started doing it again in about 1000 miles. I got the original rotors resurfaced and that fixed the problem until I sold it 25k miles later.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:29 PM
bringing this up, i replaced my rear shocks and it did nothing, but the other day, i did look at my rotors and didn't see/feel anything wrong, however.....my outer brake pad was about 2/3 the thickness as the inner pad. i'll figure it out and post up what was wrong when i have the time.

Old 04-22-2010, 04:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by coobies5
bringing this up, i replaced my rear shocks and it did nothing, but the other day, i did look at my rotors and didn't see/feel anything wrong, however.....my outer brake pad was about 2/3 the thickness as the inner pad. i'll figure it out and post up what was wrong when i have the time.
^^Check to make sure that your caliper bolts top and bottom are secured all the way if you have pads that are warn unevenly.

As for the original post on vibration, take your wheels off the front. Use two hands to grab the hub and see if you can shake or lift it. If it feels loose, then you have a bad bearing. Bad bearings will cause the tire to shake or hop pretty bad.

The following users liked this post:
Old 04-22-2010, 04:28 PM
I had this issue with my '06 Silverado. Started happening a few days after I put new wheels and tires on it. I tried numerous things but could not solve it for the life of me. Eventually had to put the stock wheels back on and it went back to normal. Might be an issue if you have aftermarket wheels

Old 04-22-2010, 06:03 PM
this is such a weird problem eric..

Old 04-22-2010, 06:32 PM
lol i know travis

stock wheels, stock size tires, new lower ball joints, wheels are balanced, and i am 4wd so....do i have bearings in the front or what? i've heard many mixed stories saying i do and i do not. so im not sure about that at all. in the rear, i more then likely will replace them or just grease them.

Old 04-25-2010, 03:25 PM
lol i know travis

stock wheels, stock size tires, new lower ball joints, wheels are balanced, and i am 4wd so....do i have bearings in the front or what? i've heard many mixed stories saying i do and i do not. so im not sure about that at all. in the rear, i more then likely will replace them or just grease them.
Did you try what I previously told you to do? Why would I answer your question with the earlier post if your truck didnt have bearings? Check the bearings on the front.

Last edited by sgray; 04-25-2010 at 03:44 PM.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:03 PM
I'd check my leaf spring mounts and make sure nothing is broken. Let us know what you find.

Old 03-04-2016, 02:04 PM
When i hit my brakes when decelerating from 42mph down to about 35mph my truck just bounces up and down violently and i'm tired of it. I have practically brand new rotors on, got them back in march and they have about 15-20k miles on them, and they are still perfectly straight, no runout at all. I replaced the front brake pads the other week with wagner thermoquiet ceramics, the rear pads are fine, but they do squeak and im thinking about replacing them with some tq's as well. I have no idea what this can be, but when my truck is cold and not warmed up, when i brake from 42-35mph the truck doesn't bounce at all. However when its warmed up and after frequently stopping between those speeds, it bounces regardless. Anyone have any idea what it could be?

I think partial fault may be my shocks, I have been meaning to replace them, but i'm tryin to find some lightning rear bilsteins for a good price.
Thanks in advanced
Change your rotors

Old 03-04-2016, 03:30 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Please check post dates before giving that kind of advice, this was 6 years ago.

Old 03-04-2016, 08:08 PM
lmao

Old 03-04-2016, 08:24 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
What fixed it?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Truck bounces when braking