Removing Fan Clutch assembly?

Old 12-17-2009, 12:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Removing Fan Clutch assembly?

OK, i need some help here. I am having a trouble trying to get my fan off. I cant figure out which way it turn to loosen it up. It almost seems as it has seized up.

Could some one help me by letting me know which way to turn to loosen it?

Thanks

PS all this for a bull**** alternator!

Old 12-17-2009, 12:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the fan clutch assembly means the actual fan and what not, Im pretty sure you need a special tool from ford

Old 12-17-2009, 01:00 AM
The fan clutch loosens in the counter-clockwise direction. Make sure you leave the belt on for removal, as its grip helps a lot to stop the pulley from spinning.

You don't need the special tool to remove it. Just wedge a pry-bar on the 4 bolts on the pulley, have someone hold that as you turn the fan nut counter-clockwise.

The tool does make it muuuch easier though, so I would recommend it. You can even rent it from most auto parts stores. I went ahead and bought it when I removed mine because I knew I would be removing a few other fans for my friends. Its around 25 dollars if I remember correctly.

Good luck

- Erik

Old 12-17-2009, 01:01 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
autozone sells/rents a tool for taking the fan clutch shaft off of the waterpump pulley. Hold the water pump still, and turn the fan off counter clock wise (standard threaded)

Why not just take the belt off (loosen tensioner) and remove just the alternator, or am i missing the full story here

Old 12-17-2009, 01:20 AM
Originally Posted by Patman03SprCrw
autozone sells/rents a tool for taking the fan clutch shaft off of the waterpump pulley. Hold the water pump still, and turn the fan off counter clock wise (standard threaded)

Why not just take the belt off (loosen tensioner) and remove just the alternator, or am i missing the full story here
I have the tool,

Well i have the magnacharger kit on and they have you add a aux pulley and the bracket for the pulley to sit on is in front of the alternator a bit. and to remove the bracket, you need to remove the fan/water pump. then remove the bracket to pull the alternator out. I am really thinking E fans now!!

Old 12-17-2009, 01:43 AM
i have taken my alt off several times with the stock fan still on, I did have to remove the top radiator tube though if I remember correctly. When I did the fan removal the first time, it was on real tight, and I had the two forks that i rented but it took some force to get it to release, almost a two person job but it can be done with one. On the efans, if not for any performance gains get em for the space they free up, it was so nice to not have the fan and shroud in the way when i did the crank pulley swap.

Last edited by batn68; 12-17-2009 at 01:46 AM.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:21 AM
Originally Posted by batn68
i have taken my alt off several times with the stock fan still on, I did have to remove the top radiator tube though if I remember correctly. When I did the fan removal the first time, it was on real tight, and I had the two forks that i rented but it took some force to get it to release, almost a two person job but it can be done with one. On the efans, if not for any performance gains get em for the space they free up, it was so nice to not have the fan and shroud in the way when i did the crank pulley swap.
its not the fan, its the bracket i need to pull off but i cant get it off with out taking the fan setup off..

the bracket is in the way of the alternator.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:16 AM
Global Moderator &

i can picture what you are talking about, did you get it?

Old 12-18-2009, 12:59 AM
i can picture what you are talking about, did you get it?
not yet, had to put it on hold for the day..

but here its the issue to clarify

Name:  100_2115.jpg
Views: 12627
Size:  59.5 KB

Name:  100_2112.jpg
Views: 12569
Size:  54.3 KB

Name:  100_2113.jpg
Views: 11731
Size:  34.9 KB

Name:  100_2114.jpg
Views: 15424
Size:  69.1 KB

Old 12-18-2009, 01:02 AM
Also, i figured out i need a new idler pulley that the kit provided. It is going out and making noise, assuming its a cheap *** pulley!!

Argh,

one thing after another!!!

Old 12-18-2009, 01:33 AM
Global Moderator &

Ford's idler pulley is 17 bucks IIRC

Old 12-18-2009, 01:39 AM
Ford's idler pulley is 17 bucks IIRC
Do you happen to know what size they are? The one i needed is a pulley magncharger provided with the kit. Which they claim not to have any more in stock..

Old 12-18-2009, 01:43 AM
Global Moderator &

I could measure it if needed tomorrow, i dont know off the top of my head, its like a tad over 3" diameter again IIRC

Old 12-18-2009, 08:55 AM
Originally Posted by weazel
Do you happen to know what size they are? The one i needed is a pulley magncharger provided with the kit. Which they claim not to have any more in stock..
I was eyeballing mine the other day, the idler magnuson sent us and the tensioner pulley look to be nearly the same size, might want to try that and see if it fits. I tried to upload the picture of the alt. bracket I got in my kit but having problems, yours is definitely different than what I have and I see why you have to take the fan and pump off.

got a picture of my bracket, as you can see easy access, nothing to take off to get at it. It sandwiches the alt between the bracket and block. Note the slick meziere water pump up and running...

adding picture

Last edited by batn68; 12-18-2009 at 03:34 PM.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:40 PM
Originally Posted by batn68
I was eyeballing mine the other day, the idler magnuson sent us and the tensioner pulley look to be nearly the same size, might want to try that and see if it fits. I tried to upload the picture of the alt. bracket I got in my kit but having problems, yours is definitely different than what I have and I see why you have to take the fan and pump off.

got a picture of my bracket, as you can see easy access, nothing to take off to get at it. It sandwiches the alt between the bracket and block. Note the slick meziere water pump up and running...

adding picture
not only is your bracket different, so is the pulley and the size of it. it also appears to be a little off location compared to mine..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Removing Fan Clutch assembly?