E-85 and spark plug thoughts/questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 12:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E-85 and spark plug thoughts/questions

After reading about numerous 3v spark plug horror stories, I decided to change my plugs before too much longer, currently at 37k miles. It seems that the "cleaner" the combustion chamber area, especially where the plug protrudes into the chamber, the better chance you have for success. From my understanding, carbon build up on the plug is what causes the plug to break.

If there was a way to truly clean this area prior to plug removal, would this "somewhat" solve the issue. I understand it is a design flaw.

I'm wondering if running e-85 for a while, a few tank fulls at least, prior to changing would accomplish this?

I have seen the inside of a "race" engine that was ran on e-85 and it was spotless in the chamber area, along with the tops of the pistons...no build up whatsoever. I have also seen the inside of a gas tank that have nothing but e85 in it and it was also spotless.

Has anyone that has ran pretty much nothing but e85 completed a plug change?

Thoughts?

Old 12-14-2009, 03:35 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Buckeye Rich
After reading about numerous 3v spark plug horror stories, I decided to change my plugs before too much longer, currently at 37k miles. It seems that the "cleaner" the combustion chamber area, especially where the plug protrudes into the chamber, the better chance you have for success. From my understanding, carbon build up on the plug is what causes the plug to break.

If there was a way to truly clean this area prior to plug removal, would this "somewhat" solve the issue. I understand it is a design flaw.

I'm wondering if running e-85 for a while, a few tank fulls at least, prior to changing would accomplish this?

I have seen the inside of a "race" engine that was ran on e-85 and it was spotless in the chamber area, along with the tops of the pistons...no build up whatsoever. I have also seen the inside of a gas tank that have nothing but e85 in it and it was also spotless.

Has anyone that has ran pretty much nothing but e85 completed a plug change?

Thoughts?
How many miles do they run on a "race" engine before they tear it down? I don't think it's clean from running E85, I don't think it gets a chance to carbon up in the miles they run between tear downs. There are those on the Ford truck forums that claim to have run a couple tanks of fuel with "Seafoam" in the gas and it really cleaned it up so that they had no plugs break. I have never used "Seafoam" but figured I'd give it a try when time came to change 'em.

Old 12-14-2009, 03:42 PM
Okay, you've got me concerned here. I plan on changing my plugs to Brisk brand sometime next week. I have an 06 with the 3v 5.4l with 54k miles on it. So these OEM plugs that are in it are having a tentantcy to break when you try to get them out? Is there something I should be worried or be careful about when extraction time comes?

Old 12-14-2009, 04:22 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
If you are wanting a carbon deposit remover, try Techron, which is Ford recommended, BG-44, or the cheapest but still effective is Gumout WITH Regane. Regane is a Polyether Amine and is tops in cleaning carbon deposits. I'd suggest a double dose in 12 gallons of gas before changing the plugs. It would also be a good idea to change the oil soon afterwards. The carbon deposits will washed into the oil and become loaded with it. The filter will catch the larger particles but it won't capture all it. Seafoam is nothing more than a pale oil with some alcohol and kerosene. Oil burning is going to cause more deposits, not remove them.

Old 12-14-2009, 04:30 PM
The other option is to run a Top Tier fuel, which is one with a higher and certified level of detergents to help reduce deposits. Check here

http://www.toptiergas.com

for brands that comply.

Old 12-14-2009, 04:37 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Chipper
Okay, you've got me concerned here. I plan on changing my plugs to Brisk brand sometime next week. I have an 06 with the 3v 5.4l with 54k miles on it. So these OEM plugs that are in it are having a tentantcy to break when you try to get them out? Is there something I should be worried or be careful about when extraction time comes?
Schedule a Motor -Vac service to be done before you change the plugs. Then follow the TSB.

Old 12-14-2009, 05:26 PM
My buddy thats going to take my plugs out works for Ford Freight as a mechanic. So he's going call a local dealership to get the TSB. Hopefully everything will go smoothly. Thanks for the heads up and useful info guys!

Old 12-15-2009, 04:30 AM
You can download the TSB, it's number 08-7-6. You will also want the Lisle extraction tool. Seems to be the best one that folks here recommend. Plus you'll need the socket for the plug. Spend some time reading thru the MANY 5.4 3V spark plug removal posts on this site and others. You'll gain some useful insight into this task. Be sure to have these tools in hand when you're ready to start this process. Plus give youself a weekend to do the job. Being patient is CRITICAL. And understand that even following the TBS you may still break a plug. I broke 3, but it all worked out just fine.

Hope this helps

Here's the TSB. http://www.revivalogistics.com/docum...28-59%20AM.pdf

Here's the extraction tool. http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/lis65600.html and the socket. http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/otc-6900.html There are tons of places to get these from, this is just one that offers both parts (pricing is better elsewhere)

Old 12-15-2009, 11:32 AM
Wow! Thanks for the info. Geez I hope we don't break any. I DO NOT want to mess around with that.

Quick Reply: E-85 and spark plug thoughts/questions