What CD players are interchangeable?

Old 10-03-2001, 01:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What CD players are interchangeable?

I'm wondering what CD players that ford makes are interchangeable? I have a 97 f-150 w/ the bluish displays on the radio. What all cd players from what other vehicles would fit, and plug right in? Does anyone happen to know the part number? Thanks in advance

Old 10-05-2001, 12:04 AM
As far as I know, the 97-98 are interchangeable/same model, the 99 on up are a different model, and I dont think would fit in a 97. This is applicable to the Expy's also. Hope this helps a little.......

Old 10-05-2001, 12:24 AM
Blue_Farmer ,

Why does it have to be Ford interchangeable? There are aftermarket ones that give you more options.

Old 10-05-2001, 10:20 AM
Smile

I put an AM/FM/CD out of an '01 F-150 in my '97. It fits just fine. All I had to do was buy a couple adapters to make it work. The new one has the green lights, whereas my dash is the bluish color, but I've seen other vehicles with factory mismatched colors that looked far worse than this.

Old 10-08-2001, 04:59 PM
Gee, i thought my P720r was nice :P

I really need a EQ... what do you think of the EQ-6500 ... i found the built in stuff in my deck was pretty good actually...

Old 10-08-2001, 10:37 PM
Flatlander..
How did you get it to fit?? I thought the 99+ were bigger units... i could be mistaken. Also where did you get the adapters, and how much did they cost. How does it sound?

Old 10-09-2001, 09:25 AM
Smile

No they are the same size. It's just that the newer ones have a bar covering the tiny gap between the stereo and climate controls. The wiring adapters together cost less than $30 at a local stereo shop. I think it sounds pretty good. I just like the factory radios because there are not as many buttons and lights to mess with - more simple.

Old 10-09-2001, 02:02 PM
Flatlander.....
Do you have any means of posting a few picutres of your stereo? I'd like to see a few pictures of this, before i go shelling out the big bucks to buy a deck that won't work. Thanks.

Old 10-09-2001, 02:36 PM
No not today sorry. This link shows the difference in the vehicle trimplates, but the stereos are the same. I got my stereo from a guy in the classifieds for $150.
http://www.installdr.com/InstallDocs...ion-97-99.html

Old 10-09-2001, 03:26 PM
TubaMan,

EQ works great. The radio has a EQ built in also. But rather use the external one. All cd's aren't the same in sound, some play different then others. Even when you make your own. I personally don't feel like fumbling around with hitting this button then that button and adjusting this an that. When all the control you need is at your fingertips. You can keep your eyes on the road, an adjust at will.

Old 10-09-2001, 06:28 PM
Flatlander....
Sorry to keep pestering you about this subject, but is the trim piece on the outside the same thing? I'm wondering if it would be possible to put ANY head unit out of the 99+ f-150's or expy's. I'm really looking to put in one of the dual media (cd and cassette players), but i'm not sure if it'll fit. Did you have to modify the trim piece in anyway? I noticed that the two little holes that you insert the lock releasing pins in are visible on the 99+ models, yet the trim piece must be removed on the 97 and 98 models to get to this. Thanks for all your help.

Old 10-10-2001, 09:14 AM
Question

Uh sorry can't help ya there. I haven't even seen one yet with the CD & Cassette in the head unit for these. I think the Explorers have those, but I don't think they will fit very easy if at all. For my install I didn't have to modify anything. All my tapes have deteriorated so much through the years that I didn't even look into that possibility. I know this type of question has been discussed on this board before, so maybe we can keep searching and come up with some type of answer.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What CD players are interchangeable?