Need help with TPS-P0122

Old 11-08-2009, 09:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help with TPS-P0122

Vehicle information: 2001 Ford Expedition 107k 5.4L

The problems started after I cleaned the throttle body and butterfly valve. I pulled out the two screws that hold the brass (?) circular flap and removed the mounting rod from the TPS sensor. To make a long story short, I had to remove the TPS and reinstall. Naturally the "Check Engine" light came on shortly after. Vehicle had hard shifts and was not operating correctly. Pulled the code and it's a P0122.

This is where I get frustrated. I've rotated the TPS to get it back to the "correct" position but no luck. The inner dial seems to spin to a couple different settings and they all throw the CEL. I broke out the multimeter to read the voltage per the manual and obviously the voltages are not in spec.

My only conclusion is that I somehow broke the inner dial of the TPS but I'm not even sure I was reading the voltages correctly. If I were to purchase a TPS from NAPA, is it a matter of removing the two screws and throwing the new sensor in? Will I have to make adjustments to the TPS once installed?

Old 11-08-2009, 09:29 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
.98/.99 is optimal. KeyOnEngineOff (KOEO). Shoot! I forget what wire to punch, but you should know with the manual. Volt reference is most likely good from you explanation. I think it's broke.

Last edited by jbrew; 11-09-2009 at 08:35 AM.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:34 PM
Right. The TPS needs to read between 0.5-1.0V in the closed position. This is something that I am unable to obtain. I either get no voltage or 3.08V in the closed position. Any other ideas? Is the TPS adjustable? If there is, there is not much!

Old 11-08-2009, 09:46 PM

Yea, you know what's inside of the TPS ? It's like a ribbon type deal, like you see in computers. Wire leads pressed within the ribbon. What can happen and I'm almost 100% sure it did, it was spun further one way than it was accustom to and broke.

How they go out under normal conditions:

The ribbon/wires inside get old and brittle / -snap. As soon as this happens, you get a CEL, Right away! Also as soon as this happens, the trans shifts erratically because it has no direction. Your trans tables go ~ MAF_TPS_ Shift point. The bad in that, the trans doesn't default to a safe mode, so when this happens on the expressway, it may find first at 70 lol.

Anyway man, unless you jammed it in there, I think everything is hooked up correctly, because the TPS fits only one way and spins (one way) just a little to line up the bolts. Don't worry about adjusting - it IS NOT adjustable, you can make them adjustable, but get it working first.

Post back what you find, thanks.

Last edited by jbrew; 11-09-2009 at 08:37 AM.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:28 PM
My TPS went wacky when I was chasing a low-grade misfire and I have no idea why because I never touched it when I took apart the intake, but when I hooked it all back up, got a CEL. I didn't even check the resistance to it when it went out because it made my SCREW run screwy so I just replaced it. Sounds like you need a new one. It was around $60 for a new one and takes a few minutes to install. Sounds like you need a new one.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:01 PM
jbrew-You nailed it. I broke the inner coil (ribbon) by spinning the sensor so the wheel would spin freely. I'm not sure what I expected to happen when turning the inner wheel many times. But then again, not sure what I was thinking when I took the throttle body apart in the first place.

I bought a new sensor after work and threw it in. The vehicle shifts as it should and no CEL. The new TPS fixed the problem as you had suggested. Thanks for the help!

Old 11-09-2009, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by dye7barrel
jbrew-You nailed it. I broke the inner coil (ribbon) by spinning the sensor so the wheel would spin freely. I'm not sure what I expected to happen when turning the inner wheel many times. But then again, not sure what I was thinking when I took the throttle body apart in the first place.

I bought a new sensor after work and threw it in. The vehicle shifts as it should and no CEL. The new TPS fixed the problem as you had suggested. Thanks for the help!
No problem, How much did you have to give for that ? AZTriton's about right on with price. I had one go on me quite awhile ago,- while on the road. Hit the next exit, found an Auto Zone and they got me for $59. I can get those for about 20 bucks online, but that's something you can't wait for lol.

Glad it worked out. If she startes to idle funny, like under 700 rpm or over 750, loosen the throttle plate screws and let it spring shut a few times. that's the best way to line those up good after a cleaning.

Ford Service lists mine for -

F4SZ9B989AA $68.56

Last edited by jbrew; 11-09-2009 at 10:18 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:18 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wow really 60 bucks?!?! my sisters turdyota TPS was $108!!

Old 11-10-2009, 07:04 PM
I picked up a TPS for $51.03 out the door. I would have paid much more just to get the vehicle up and running.

Search this Thread