Transmission Shudder

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 01:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission Shudder

Have a 2000 F150 5.4 V8 Auto Trans with 90K mi. Recently started shuttering in overdrive between 45-55 mph. No problem if I take it out of OD and manually start OD @ about 60. Sounds like torque converter. Ford dealer says they don't recommend drain and flush on this older vehicle--might make it worse since it hasnt been done regularly. I have read that Dr Tranny's Shudder Fix might help.
I bought some today. Bottle says not to use with Ford Type F Fluid. Truck uses
Mercon V.
questions:
1. Should the system be flushed--or not?
2. Can Dr Trannys help? Is It compatible with Mercon V?
3. What is Type F Fluid?
4. Wonder how long the trans might last in this condition--just quit using OD?

Thanks fo any advice--my first post in this forum
Dan

Old 02-20-2008, 07:26 AM
My 97 4.6 with 82K miles started the
"rumble strip" shutter under light load
when the od was going in and
out of shift. I don't know when it was
flushed last (every 30K recommended).

I got the Foraud $129 filter pan drop
6 quarts of Valvoline maxlife and for 3
months now absolutely NO SHUTTER, beter
trans shifts.

I would definetely get it done. ONLY MERCON V
specked. not reg mercon.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:34 AM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by dwestmor
1. Should the system be flushed--or not?
Yes you should. The best way to fix this is to change all of the fluid, and the flush is the way to do it. Only dropping the pan will change less than half of the fluid. It may get you some relief for awhile, but it will be back soon because half of the worn out ATF is still running around in there.

2. Can Dr Trannys help?
I don't think so.

3. What is Type F Fluid?
It's fluid for Ford transmissions built before 1978.

4. Wonder how long the trans might last in this condition--just quit using OD?
Not that long. The problem is in the torque converter clutch, and it operates in third gear, too. The problem will start to show up in third if you ignore this.

Last edited by Mark Kovalsky; 02-20-2008 at 08:42 AM.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:31 AM
Shudder

Thanks for the good responses. I did put in a tube of Dr Trannys--and it helped it immediately. However based on your responses and advice from a good independant mechanic --I'm takingiit in Monday to the independant for a complete drain and flush and refill with a high grade synthethic.
When I called a local Ford Dealer they said might not be good for old trans that hasnt been serviced regularly. They wanted to"diagnose" first--which I think meant gimme 200 bucks first--then we will go ahead and recommend changing it.

I would recommend Dr Trannys Instant Shudder fix for and old nearly wore out trans--to get the last gasp out of it--it definitely does work. Mine only has 87K miles and Im gonna tahke all yalls advice
thanks
Dan

Old 02-22-2008, 02:54 PM
I had the same issue that started at about 90k on my 2000 5.4 (circa 2002). I did the flush like they're telling you and the problem went away for about 6 months and came back. Ford was worried about the new fluid loosening up gunk inside the tranny, when they opened it they said it looked brand new inside. After the problem returned I said screw it and let it go. That was almost 4 years ago, it shudders going into and out of OD and I've found that when i'm accelerating i can let off the gas some and it won't shudder.

Here's the fun part, i pulled a 6,000lb camper for well over a year with this problem, never got worse or better. Maybe I'm lucky.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:16 PM
I took my 2000 4.2L ext cab to a trans shop and since I have 180K on the trans with the TC shudder, they recommended NOT to change the fluid. They told me to drive it until it quits or get it rebuilt.

Think I should try some of this Dr Tranny or flush?

Old 04-17-2009, 08:34 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
To the OP, I am with Mark, get a flush.

You have to understand that coming from me that is saying a lot because I used to really carry on about not doing a flush. The newer flush machines do a pretty good job and get most of the old fluid out with a whole lot less chance of messing things up worse than when you started.

On the 180k mile transmission. Its a crapshoot.

Remember that the Dr Tranny stuff is a friction modifier and not some magic concoction. It won't fix a problem, but it will mask the symptoms for a while. If you are going to use that only do it as a last resort after doing everything else you can. If you have to use it then you need to start saving up for a rebuild immediately.

Darrin

Old 04-20-2009, 08:24 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Originally Posted by corvetteguy
My 97 4.6 with 82K miles started the
"rumble strip" shutter under light load
when the od was going in and
out of shift. I don't know when it was
flushed last (every 30K recommended).

I got the Foraud $129 filter pan drop
6 quarts of Valvoline maxlife and for 3
months now absolutely NO SHUTTER, beter
trans shifts.

I would definetely get it done. ONLY MERCON V
specked. not reg mercon.

Why only 6 qts? You know there is a drain plug in the torque converter, right?

Old 10-02-2009, 07:29 PM
Mine is doing this same thing. when in OD about 45-55 mph and you try to accelerate it will buck and jerk. After you reach about 55 mph it will stop. This seems to be a common problem with this transmission, but what is it. I did a fluid exchange yesterday and it helped a little but not much. It has been getting worse the last couple of weeks.

Old 10-16-2009, 08:54 PM
Super Tech is junk

I came on here looking for advice on the same problems you guys describe but mine started AFTER I changed my fluid. I took a chance on the Super Tech fluid because as of mid summer the ONLY Ford Approved 'V' other than their own was Super Tech or Valvoline. Not even Castrol would or could put on the bottle that it was 'Ford approved'. Plus there are 2 kinds of Motorcraft ATF. One is non-synthetic and one is a blend which is pretty hard to find and as I remember it was over $10 a quart. It comes in a black bottle where the reg. comes in the red bottle. Super Tech, however, is a blend so I went with it.

Unfortunately my torque converter doesn't have a drain but now I'm glad I left some old fluid in there and it's only 30.000 miles old because I have that same shudder while in lock-up. I guess any additive will 'replenish' any additives that they might have left out to keep the price down but I really don't need a stop leak, so is there a diff between all these brands....................................jack

Old 10-16-2009, 11:06 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
What seems like shudder is not always the tranny - it could be a low grade misfire - meaning it's time for new spark plugs and/or coils.

Old 10-17-2009, 05:17 PM
It's the converter...I can make it do it on command as it locks up. Plus
it took about a week to show up which is about how long it would take to mix the old with the new. I would have gladly bought the Valvoline but the only place I could buy was Amazon. Since then Adv. Auto did start carrying the Castrol 'Ford approved' V and it's only about 60 cents more than Super Tech.

I may be wrong about the Motorcraft types. The black bottle might be fully syn which is why it was so much.

Old 10-20-2009, 01:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by glc
What seems like shudder is not always the tranny - it could be a low grade misfire - meaning it's time for new spark plugs and/or coils.
X2X2 you need to throw some new MotorCraft plugs in there ASAP. my truck had the same problem, changed my plugs and was good to go(i thought it was my tranns also).

Old 05-18-2010, 09:38 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was having tranny shudder coming on around 45-50 mph range and sometimes at higher speeds when I would let off the gas a little. I could WOT thru it with no shuddering and would be fine with O/D off. Seemed to be related to lower RPM issue. I have 151K on truck and had plugs changed and tranny flushed around 105K. I ordered the COP's from Ebay and installed this weekend and all my shuddering problems are gone. Looks like it was misfire problem with no codes showing up. Here is link to coils on Ebay, only $114.95 shipped for all 8. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-I...Q5fAccessories

Old 05-18-2010, 05:15 PM
Originally Posted by Golfmanaz1
I was having tranny shudder coming on around 45-50 mph range and sometimes at higher speeds when I would let off the gas a little. [/url]
my 01 gt is doing this, thought it was a misfire, changed plugs and coils, shudder goes away then it rains and it came back. but i think it is a TC shudder. at 45-50mph if i let off the gas it unlocks and the engine comes under load, than i light come on to the gas and it goes away. the fluid looks new, i just bought the car and the used car dealer may have changed the fluid, would you guys recommend i change it. i have a bunch of Valvoline mercon V in my garage.

Quick Reply: Transmission Shudder